What's new

why do people torture themselves with shave soap?

Seriously.. why bother with shave soap? In my experience, most of them are a headache to lather.

I guess some people just like challenges?

There was a time that Williams or VDH was about the only product a traditional shaver could buy at a B&M to lather with a brush. But now with C.O. Bigelow, Nivea, Kiss My Face... there's plenty of mass market options out there, all of which work better.

And don't get me started about premium soaps...

Some guys like soaps, some like creams, some like both. To each his own and YMMV.

If you are in Florida, perhaps hard water is robbing you of your soapy fun.

Some guys like soaps, some like creams, some like both. To each his own and YMMV.

If you are in Florida, perhaps hard water is robbing you of your soapy fun.

Maybe. Where I live the hardness is reportedly 9 grains (the sun coast and south Florida is horrible). Not the worst in the country.

I grew up a few years it Tampa and we had a water softener and I remember taking baths and showers was always pleasant- my skin never felt dry, so maybe you are on to something, though...

Sounds like you need to focus one your technique and stop blaming it on the soap. I'm only joking but it's really not that hard to leather soap.

I can make ridiculously good lather with an array of soaps and creams. It's all about technique. I don't ever have any trouble with soaps.Practice a few times, it can be done.

There is no challenge to lathering a soap. I prefer using soaps.
I get great lather with my soaps (Dr. Harris, TOBS, Geo F. Trumper, Tabac, Proraso etc. all great Premium soaps) no headaches, issues, just a great lather. They do lather differently, so at first you have to find the correct method, no big deal at all.

I have a few creams I use, as they have good performance and a scent I have not found in a soap.

As always YMMV, use the product you like and what works for you.

For those in a real hurry there is the canned goo :lol:

With hard water, I need to load much more than others (I assume) do, but I still find VDH pretty easy. I could not get Mama's Bears to lather at all - I assume this was due to the sample being so small and being difficult to load fully.

I never found soap to be torture...however, now that you mention it my kids complain when I suggest they use soap. Maybe you are on to something :lol:

Soaps and Creams behave differently. If one uses the same technique to lather both then one will appear to be more difficult to use. If one adapts their technique to match the given soap, cream, croap, etc, they should be rewarded with better shaves.

Distilled water or a water softener would change your mind. Or just a change in technique. :biggrin1:

+100. Switched to distilled for soaking my brush. Never going back to Alberta hard water. My lather in 20-25% better (more of it, greater quality) using distilled water

I use both but prefer soaps. I like the cushioning, the glide and also find its easier to make consistent lather. The trick is that a hard soap needs breaking in and get some moisture into it to soften it up. Some people like me, soak the puck prior to first use and some grate it but the end result is the same, you have to break-in the puck. Its not rocket science but there are some products like Williams, Truefitt or MWF are just too finicky to be worth my time bothering with.

It depends on the soap - some are easier to lather than others.

I use Arko (stick) exclusively. It face lathers and is ready to shave in 30 seconds.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Soaps are not hard to lather. Italian soft soaps (aka "croaps") are even easier. Try Marco's method if you're having trouble. The fantastic performance and post-shave feel of a tradition tallow-based soap is a significant step up from the mass market creams you mentioned. Tallow soaps with lanolin are even better (as long as you're not sensitive to lanolin).

BTW, I'm not anti-cream. In fact, I shaved with Proraso Green this morning to ring in Spring.

Top Bottom