What's new

why do people go for bigger size brush ?

Hey, just curious why would you get the bigger size brush? I currently have the C&E brush and i feel like its even a bit big. Doing my upper lip always causes the foam to go into my nose. I feel that smaller brush lets you go over and over places ensuring that the hair is raised and covered vs a big brush would almost be going over the same spot cause it is so big.

the only advantage i see is that it holds more water so it would be easier to create lather.

I am sure you guys have the answer for this ; )

thanks

I use a large brush because it fits my face. I use a Kent BK 12 and I love it. You learn to utilize the size to your advantage and it's no longer a problem. It was my first high end brush after using the same brush for over 10 years. I've tried a lot of brushes since then and I always come back to the Kent.

Chris

ilyailya said:
Hey, just curious why would you get the bigger size brush? I currently have the C&E brush and i feel like its even a bit big. Doing my upper lip always causes the foam to go into my nose. I feel that smaller brush lets you go over and over places ensuring that the hair is raised and covered vs a big brush would almost be going over the same spot cause it is so big.

the only advantage i see is that it holds more water so it would be easier to create lather.

I am sure you guys have the answer for this ; )

thanks
Actually, I prefer smallish brushes, but not too floppy.
My favorite is a small italian Koh-I-Noor that I bought over 20 years ago: it still has all the tufts!

JoAnna,

You owe me a keyboard! I prefer a smaller brush on most days, but there are days when loading up a 28m knot with hot lather is just downright sinful.

Randy

mrs. chefchris said:
Why? What does that mean?

JoAnna

Your "insult" comment caused me to create a "geyser" of water! I've got to stop drinking and reading some of these threads at the same time!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Your "insult" comment caused me to create a "geyser" of water! I've got to stop drinking and reading some of these threads at the same time!

Randy

Some of these threads make me want a drink.

JoAnna

I prefer a smaller brush myself. People who use a bigger brush do so to mask their own inadequacy, big shaving brush = small ...:wink:

Personal pref i say. Also cost.

ilyailya said:
Doing my upper lip always causes the foam to go into my nose.

Whe applying lather to the upper lip. Place your thumb into the brush. So the bristles make a semi circle fin. (You can push your lip out your tongue also) Three strokes starting on your filtrum, left then right, and your top lip should be covered.

Stuart said:
Whe applying lather to the upper lip. Place your thumb into the brush. So the bristles make a semi circle fin. (You can push your lip out your tongue also) Three strokes starting on your filtrum, left then right, and your top lip should be covered.

Interesting tip, will have to try that one tomorrow. I also have just bought a large size badger brush and have the same problem with shaving foam going up my nose.... also I can't seem to avoid plastering my lips with shaving foam, so that I have to stop for a moment and wipe my lips with one finger to avoid any of it getting into my mouth...

To raise the hairs on my face as well as possible with the larger brush I just make sure I go over my face with it a good few times when applying the lather.

S

Sam

I have a 30mm Shavemac. Using Castle Forbes creams with it is decadent. It just offers variety, nothing more or less. At the other extreme in size is my size 12 Plisson black badger. Smaller and scratchier, but no less fun than the Shavemac

Sam

I started off with a small brush, and didn't understand why people went for larger ones either. Then I got a 24mm Shavemac....wow. It might not make the shave any closer, but it sure feels nicer. The warmth on your face from a big brush has to be felt to be understood. I'm a smaller person with a small face I guess, and I have no problem getting lather on my nose. Just brush it on your face where the top edge of the brush goes no higher than your upper lip; the lower half of bristles are getting my mouth and chin while the top gets my upper lip. IE, it's all a matter of technique.

I prefer small to medium (25mm max). They give me more control and feel better on my face, plus anything larger and I'm flinging lather all over the place or washing lots of leftovers down the drain. The next step up after a huge brush is to whip up a 12" wide X 6" deep bowl of lather and just dunk your face in it. Just kidding.

John

It's a compensation for other, smaller things:w00t: :w00t:

No really, i explained many times why i love big knotted brushes the most....; not because of rational reasons, smaller knots perform as well as bigger knots, but purely because of the sheer luxurious indulgence of a HUGE badger loft: to look at it, to feel it, to use it, to admire it; there's nothing beyond a SR 3132 or 3332 fi ( with the exception of a Vulfix 38 maybe....)

Peter

Top Bottom