What's new

Why do people bother with The Veg?

Gentlemen, I apologize in advance for what may be considered an abrasive title to this post. Please take it in the manner it was intended -- a fair question, honestly asked, for those who are fans. Allow me a moment to explain my thoughts.

We have all heard the many unfavorable comparisons of The Veg. We know there are many who are chosen and many who are not. I am confused, however, why people would risk wearing an aftershave that has such awful experiences for those who are not chosen. I, myself, would be very, very cautious in wearing a scent that I may love, but that the people around me might experience as various urine-inspired scents. I understand what not everyone will like every scent, and that we all wear what we like. But, I know of a few other aftershaves that evoke such a fervent dislike among their detractors.

That said, I ask, why, given that risk, would one use it when there are many other aftershaves that don't carry such olfactory baggage?

My thanks, in advance, for your feedback!

I have no answer for you. I do however thank you for the question. I just learned about the Veg. That is the pinaud lilac vegetal correct? Is is really hit or miss like that?

I have no answer for you. I do however thank you for the question. I just learned about the Veg. That is the pinaud lilac vegetal correct? Is is really hit or miss like that?

Correct, sir! "The Veg" is more properly known as Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal. It really is that hit or miss. People who love it (ie, "The Chosen") speak highly of the lilac scent. People who don't tend to refer to a urine or urinal cake scent that completely puts them off.

Apparently some people associate the scent of lilac with urinal deodorizer pucks. The fact is, Lilac Vegetal goes back to the Victorian era, long before urinal deodorizers, I expect...

Edouard Pinaud was born in Northern France between 1805-1810. The exact date is unknown, but the “Since 1810” script prominent on Pinaud bottle labels is a slight misnomer. Ed. Pinaud set out at a young age to learn the art of perfumery, and by 1830 he established his first shop in the heart of Paris’ perfume district. His perfumes were already well known, but in 1833 he had his first success in cologne with his Lilac Vegetol fragrance, which was reportedly such a big hit with Napoleon and his army that Pinaud was elected Royal Parfumer. The only problem with that legend is that Napoleon died in 1821, twelve years before Lilac Vegetol was introduced. (Never one to shy from publicity, Pinaud himself never denied the rumor). The tale was later amended to involve Napoleon the Third, who indeed was alive at the time, but not living in France, nor in control of the Hungarian Army. What is true, is that Pinaud was given the first royal patent by the court of Queen Victoria as the sole importer of perfumes, an honor that was followed by several other European monarchies of the time. Pinaud found himself in the enviable position of sole importer of fragrances to a majority of Europe.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/weekly-chat-lilac-vegetol.12493/

I was a big fan of other Pinaud products so I tried the Veg. As soon as I took the cap off the bottle I knew I liked the smell of it because it smelled exactly like the lilac bush I planted in my back yard many years ago. Each spring I look forward to that two weeks or so when the lilac is in bloom and I clip off the blooms and bring them in the house where they make the entire house smell incredible. The Veg smells exactly like that and it is one of my favorite aromas. I've received compliments about how good I smell from several people when wearing it but no one has ever said I stink, smell like I bathed in feline urine, rolled in the play dough, slept on a pile of used baby diapers (or Depends Disposable Undergarments for that matter) etc. I think the foul smells from the Veg must result from a reaction to the body chemistry of the wearer. Everyone should try the Veg (it is dirt cheap) and if they are compatible with it (aka chosen) then they have a magnificent new scent, not to mention an exceptionally good feeling aftershave. If they react badly they can pass it on to a friend
who can successfully wear it. It is definitely worth trying. Who doesn't want to smell like a lilac bush after all?

My wife says that Lilac Vegetal is just a clean smelling aftershave and I like the soothing effect. Pinauld's Special Reserve is the one that gets a very negative reaction from her.

I believe that many on this forum believe that the person next to you on the train can smell the aftershave you applied an hour previously. I'm not one of them.

P.S. I sport the Veg with abandon!

Last edited:
Perhaps the same reason many like to smell like Thanksgiving dessert (Bay Rum) :lol:.
Lilac Vegetal is one of the favourite "whipping posts" here; and a great opportunity to practice creative writing.

I do not believe there is any risk, just some exaggeration and fun from those who do not like it.

People will have different reactions to (and notice different scents) to the many aftershaves (and colognes/soaps/creams etc.) out there.

You are guaranteed that there will be someone out there who finds "brand X" odd/strange/offensive.

So you can say why bother wearing any fragrance.

We are adventurous and enjoy smelling pretty. I wear it occasionally, but it's not my favorite aftershave.

!

Yes indeed!! Totally hit and miss, and I am definitely NOT chosen! :Veg::Veg::Veg:

For me, The Veg lost me at the word 'Lilac'. For some reason or another, I have never liked the smell of Lilacs at all. Maybe one day I may try a splash, maybe.

For those who are chosen, I understand that the Veg is a sublime experience unequalled by any other AS.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm not chosen, so I don't bother with it. But kudos to those who are. I'll add that scents smell different on different people because of how they react with one's body chemistry. I fully expect that the Veg may smell amazing one guy and like cat pee on another. I suppose it would be prudent for the Unchosen to not push the issue.

A person on this forum once many years ago described it *** "cat **** in the back of an old funeral parlour" :) Not far off the mark to some people's senses.

I was chosen back in the early 70's and have always had a bottle of it in the cabinet.
Now me old, Dad he was an "old Spicer". YMMV, Cheers.

I think it's a "tongue on a 9 volt battery" thing. You just have to experience it for yourself. I have also learned that when anyone says "here, smell this", to run away.

I may be chosen, I may not be chosen, I will never find out.

Top Bottom