What's new

Why do Gillette Spoilers (Super Stainless) last so long ..... ?

No, really why? .......

Most other non vintage blades give me no more than 4 to 5 shaves before needing a change out. I manage 9 to 10 with a 1960's Spoilers.

I have access to a portable X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) device and was able to analyse the alloy used as stainless steel grade 410 (85.5% Iron, 13.99% Chromium, 0.44% Manganese, 0.06% Molybdenum). These recorded values will vary slightly from batch to batch, and from reading to reading on the same blade sample.

From what I know, most other stainless steel blades, both vintage and modern are also made from 410SS strips. Checked a few other brands with the XRF to confirm this.

I can only assume that Spoilers were thermally processed to a higher degree of hardness thereby allowing them to stay sharp longer. May also have something to do with the quantity and quality of the Teflon used on the cutting edges.

Any thoughts?

Will follow this thread with interest!! Looks like you understand this field much better than I do!!

:a21::a21:

I'm not a metallurgist, so pardon my ignorance, but shouldn't there be some significant percentage of carbon in that alloy. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am really curious. I always thought that the difference between iron and steel was the presence of carbon in the alloy.

XRF cannot detect carbon.
Values are subject to rounding up, and carbon only accounts for 0.15 percent max.

For reference,
This are the actual results:

proxy.php

No, really why? .......

Most other non vintage blades give me no more than 4 to 5 shaves before needing a change out. I manage 9 to 10 with a 1960's Spoilers.

I have access to a portable X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) device and was able to analyse the alloy used as stainless steel grade 410 (85.5% Iron, 13.99% Chromium, 0.44% Manganese, 0.06% Molybdenum). These recorded values will vary slightly from batch to batch, and from reading to reading on the same blade sample.

From what I know, most other stainless steel blades, both vintage and modern are also made from 410SS strips. Checked a few other brands with the XRF to confirm this.

I can only assume that Spoilers were thermally processed to a higher degree of hardness thereby allowing them to stay sharp longer. May also have something to do with the quantity and quality of the Teflon used on the cutting edges.

Any thoughts?
410 is about as cheap a hardenable stainless as you can get. Good enough for a few Shaves, but not much more. Teflon has little influence on longevity. But makes for a smoother shave while the edge is there.
My personal opinion is that the lifetime and quality the blade is closely tied to to the quality of manufacture. Better make lines make better product.

I'm not a metallurgist, so pardon my ignorance, but shouldn't there be some significant percentage of carbon in that alloy. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am really curious. I always thought that the difference between iron and steel was the presence of carbon in the alloy.
Chrome is what makes stainless steel hard, not carbon in the lower hardening stainless. Sometimes a bit of carbon along with the chrome to make harder stainless steels. But 410 ain't one of them.

I shave every day, heavy dark hair. Tough as nails. I never counted shaves until I received a die in a PIF. Tracked my last spoiler and at 30 shaves, it just died. Tried it with an Astra superior stainless and got 5 shaves.

No, really why? .......

Any thoughts?

But the processes for coating/sputtering used in the 60's & 70's are literally Stone Age compared to today. Try a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless using the same prep and razor. It's the successor to the "Spoiler" obviously.

I had been using the Gillette 7 o’clock yellow from Russia. As much as I like them, they’re still not as smooth in my opinion. They also don’t last as long which should not matter since they’re so inexpensive.

I don’t know anything about the current or historic manufacture of razor blades. However, I would submit that in the 60’s and 70’s the quality of American made products was top notch. Things like tools, fans, cookware etc.. were great. Though obviously technology has changed. I believe quality control has changed and not for the better. So IMO that is the difference between blades from that era and now:)

I don’t know anything about the current or historic manufacture of razor blades. However, I would submit that in the 60’s and 70’s the quality of American made products was top notch. Things like tools, fans, cookware etc.. were great. Though obviously technology has changed. I believe quality control has changed and not for the better. So IMO that is the difference between blades from that era and now:)

+1! Yes indeed! That was a golden age for US made products!!

Don’t you just love it when fellow B&B members have access to portable X-ray Fluorescence devices?

Seriously, that’s very cool!

It is very cool! I would like to see more!! I don’t know what it is or what it means but it’s awesome!! Would it work on a razor? Maybe see the difference in something like a vintage toggle and the new one that is in production? I am completely ignorant on the subject, so be patient:)

It is very cool! I would like to see more!! I don’t know what it is or what it means but it’s awesome!! Would it work on a razor? Maybe see the difference in something like a vintage toggle and the new one that is in production? I am completely ignorant on the subject, so be patient:)

Here is a link for good info on XRF ... gets a bit technical but there is lots of plain english explanations.
http://amptek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/1-Amptek-Intro-to-XRF.pdf

I have a pack of Spoilers, need to try them again. Can't recall a wow moment w/ them previously though.

Then again, I like Astras.

I had been using the Gillette 7 o’clock yellow from Russia. As much as I like them, they’re still not as smooth in my opinion. They also don’t last as long which should not matter since they’re so inexpensive.
I just finished using one for X12 DF'S..! The Gillette Yellow wrapper sharp edge is both smooth & long lasting for my medium beard type.:D I broke my own rule of X7 shaves & binned but, I am glad I did & could have went X2 more but, what the hay.:taz:

Top Bottom