What's new

Why do Gillette Spoilers (Super Stainless) last so long ..... ?

I have a pack of Spoilers, need to try them again. Can't recall a wow moment w/ them previously though.

Then again, I like Astras.

Please do and let us know what you think. Typically from my experience the second shave is better than the first......... but that can be said if many blades I guess.

I have a fairly full beard and get over 20 shaves on a Gillette 7 o'clock Sharpedge blade. I do mainly two pass shaves with clean up in the denser parts of my face and the occasional three pass shave. Last blade gave me 22 shaves and could potentially last a few more as I kept it to try again later. I remove the blade after each shave and dry it carefully, then place in its wax paper for the next shave. Before the next shave I palm strop each edge of the blade once.

Never tried a vintage Gillette Spoiler though so I cannot compare the two blades unfortunately.

I love the Spoilers! I have about 1,300 of them that I’ve acquired over the years. I usually toss them after about 15 shaves but not because they are dull. I usually get bored and want to try something new. I can’t explain it but when I shave with a Spoiler it just feels differently than other blades.

The Spoiler is one of my very favorite "usin' blades."

Don't suppose the Spoiler continues on renamed? None of the Gillette blades made in other countries seems to measure up to the Spoiler.

The Spoiler is one of my very favorite "usin' blades."

Don't suppose the Spoiler continues on renamed? None of the Gillette blades made in other countries seems to measure up to the Spoiler.

I cannot honestly tell the difference between it and a current Russian 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blade. Both are great and the latter a Helluva lot cheaper. I had several hundred of the NOS "Spoiler" blades and sold them (as I laughed all the way to the bank :a17: ) due to this fact.

But the processes for coating/sputtering used in the 60's & 70's are literally Stone Age compared to today. Try a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless using the same prep and razor. It's the successor to the "Spoiler" obviously.

Sputtering? It's an all-stainless blade, no alloy edge. Just Teflon.

If it lasts a long time I'd guess it's simply because when it was introduced it was the flagship product of the world's largest blade maker and sold at a premium price to a first world market that would pay for it, so manufacture quality would have been state of the art for the time.

PPI in Russia made a "Gillette Stainless" blade in red and white packaging that probably wasn't much different; might even have been practically identical to the 7 o'clock SS. Hard to get and expensive now. I've been told they've been discontinued for awhile. I have a few and used one. Good blade.

I love the Spoilers! I have about 1,300 of them that I’ve acquired over the years. I usually toss them after about 15 shaves but not because they are dull. I usually get bored and want to try something new. I can’t explain it but when I shave with a Spoiler it just feels differently than other blades.

Was just reading through this thread and wanted to know your secret of if you had any tips on where to get some more Gillette Super Stainless Spoiler Blades as I'm having a hard time trying to pick some up, thanks!

We always miss something when its gone don't we. If they were that good I wouldn't have made the switch to a Trac II in the early 70s, and later, if the Mach 3 that good I wouldn't have went back to DE.

I do agree with Bogeyman that The 7 o'clock green Russian is probably the same thing at a better price point. Any opinions as to what is the Platinum Plus reincarnation?

Top Bottom