What's new

Why do fragrances always turn on me?

For some reason, every cologne or EDT I've tried, along with a good number of aftershaves, and even soaps, always end up turning to a stomach-churning, old-lady smell whenever they touch my skin. It's so disappointing when I try something that I really like in the bottle, and two minutes later I'm nearly gagging, and desperately trying to wash it off (which never works.) I wind up hardly being able to stand being in the same room as myself for the next several hours. With colognes and EDTs, I can get around this by only spraying them on my shirt (which, I realize, is scandalous to fragrance afficionadoes) but soaps and aftershaves can be an issue.

So, does anyone know what the chemistry is behind this? Are there tricks to overcome it? Are some types of scent more likely to react badly than others?

wow!!

i initially mis-read this topic!!

as "...turn me on!!" rather than "turn on me!"

what a totally different meaning!

best wishes in finding answers to the OP dilemma!!

I can agree with rev579's answer.

One question: Have you had or have PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder)? One of the effects can be to turn one off to scents.

Chris

Fragrances never smell the same in the bottle as they will on your skin. That's why a nose will use paper blotters to sample different fragrances.

I also think @EL Alamein's suggestion might be helpful. I suspect "body chemistry" is greatly exaggerated. While it may have some effect, I don't think it would be as extreme as the sort of reactions you are having.

Then again, you may not be a person that really likes fragrances, or you just need to try some very different ones. I would recommend looking into fragrances that have a simple, fresh, "clean" type smell, similar to Thierry Muglier's Cologne. Muglier created this fragrance to appeal to people that don't ordinarily like fragrances. So it's not heavy or cloying, which may be something that is putting you off other fragrances.

Spraying on your shirt is fine if you like it. Try unscented soaps and really light aftershaves. Go with whatever YOU like!

I unfortunately have no helping advice for the OP, but do know what a pain body chemistry can be.
So far my only bad experience is with using coconut oil on my skin or hair, which is supposed to do wonders for both. As soon as I apply coconut oil to my skin I immediately start to smell like a mixture of sour milk and machine oil. Sort of like if a machine vomited me up. And I know for a fact that it's not just my nose that can smell it because it takes several hours, even after a long shower, to completely go away and everyone unfortunate enough to cross my path gets that crinkled "what the heck is that smell" nose look on their face.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
wow!!

i initially mis-read this topic!!

as "...turn me on!!" rather than "turn on me!"

what a totally different meaning!

best wishes in finding answers to the OP dilemma!!
I miss read it too. Was coming in to check it out. Lucky I read your post and then re read the OP's initial post. Eyes are playing tricks on us.

I get this with aftershaves - but only sometimes. For me It's the powder thing, I might not pick up on it initially but then after wearing it for a while I start to smell it. At that point my nose seems to focus on it until the smell becomes unbearable and I have to toss the juice out. Not every variant of the powder note/accord/smell/etc triggers this aversion though, it's a somewhat selective reaction. This is why, now, I always buy samples before I get a bottle.

Top Bottom