What's new

Why didn't Gillette ever make a slant?

I started rotating all my safety razors using each one 4 consecutive days with a different blade each day.I'm on razor#3 now and so far neither the Schone or the Gillette NT short comb can match the smoothness or closeness of my Hoffritz which I started out with. Wonder why Gillette never made a slant?

They were pushing the Gillette slide technique which gets the same result. I don't have a problem with straight side burns when using the slant bar.

...because a slant can not cut a strait line for sideburns?:001_rolle

So that's why......

zbY3Q.jpg
lzVpI.png

The two major reasons are stated above, however it comes down to the fact that Gillette was more into marketing and pushing razors mostly to sell blades. Almost all of their base plates were stamped sheet metal and even though they had thousands of different models and variations of models, most of them shared similar parts. Slants were mostly cast because of the curves or funny shaped parts, which was something the Europeans did not have a problem with because even their regular base plates and heads were cast.

Gillette took the position that if you wanted a slant, then hold the head diagonally and if you wanted an adjustable (before they made adjustables) then loosen the head a little.

Old thread, but we now have the answer.

Gillette could have, very easily, but choose not to because...
...Gillette was more into marketing and pushing razors mostly to sell blades...
Slants would have been an interesting addition to their line of products. At least it can still be done retroactively, to a number of vintage Gillette razors, including the stamped Tech, or at least the pre-zamak techs.
comica1600993461258.png

NDC (no date code) Gillette Slant Tech head on Razorock stainless Barber Pole handle.

Old thread, but we now have the answer.

Gillette could have, very easily, but choose not to because...

Slants would have been an interesting addition to their line of products. At least it can still be done retroactively, to a number of vintage Gillette razors, including the stamped Tech, or at least the pre-zamak techs.
View attachment 1160484
NDC (no date code) Gillette Slant Tech head on Razorock stainless Barber Pole handle.
It pains me to look at that. It’s like destroying an historic artifact.
Isn’t that what the Gillette slide was for?

Well, yes. Think of this as removing the old stick shift Gillette slide, and installing an automatic Gillette slide.

It also adds a considerable level of stiffness to the blade, which changes the blade feel on the face to something approaching an SE blade. In all other respects, it remains a Tech in shaving feel and mildness. With two shims it shaves like a red tip.

@twhite really outdid himself when he made the jig, I barely had to modify it for the tech. Anyone looking at one, loading it, or examining the head would think it came from the factory that way. It's a remarkable achievement. At the same time, I can also understand why people are uncomfortable with me doing this, but at the same time, I have issues with the word "tech" and "historical artifact" being linked together. Techs were the disposable razor of the early 21st century.

I was never a fan of the Tech. Not my cup of tea. But once I tried the slantified version. Everything has changed. The Slant Tech is far superior to the standard Tech

I am happy to have one now.

I like the old adage. “Don’t knock it until you try it”

Remember it’s your shave. Enjoy it your way. Be it totally by the book or thinking outside the box. Respect them all.

They were pushing the Gillette slide technique which gets the same result. I don't have a problem with straight side burns when using the slant bar.
But there's no money in Gillette promoting the Gillette slide technique. There must be another answer.

I agree with you that there's no problem with using a slant razor on the bottom of the sideburns.

R

romsitsa

The slant design was patent protected, not owned by Gillette.
Gillette had serious issues with cracking blades, a slant would have caused even more problems.
Rigidity was no problem with the old thick blades (see above point).
Gillette had the "Gillette slide".

Top Bottom