What's new

Why did Willie & Joe always need a shave?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One of the very first books I was given as a child was Up Front; the collection of Bill Mauldin's Willie & Joe WWII cartoons. I learned to color using those black and white pictures and over the decades have worn out at least three copies. It's a book I still pull out regularly to learn just a little more.

proxy.php

Last week I was rummaging and came across some WWII Gillette Camouflage blades from the 4th quarter 1944 and so decided I'd give one a try. I pull out a 1930s Gillette NEW LC as an appropriate period correct razor and loaded one of the blades and gave it a try this morning.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Willie, Joe, I understand. That blade sucked. It pulled and tugged and tore and teased each and every hair. If the folk back home had been forced to use those blades the war would have ended years sooner.

If you're interested in how shaving is in the modern military, check out the Foxhole Shavers Club. Many things have improved in 70-odd years, but there are still many difficulties--just different ones.

I was, and am a fan I'd Willie and Joe since early high school inthe late 50's. I was also a grunt in Vietnam so can understand a little bit their plight. Water was and is too valuable to "waste" on shaving when you don't have time, or it is hazardous to do so. When you have to carry all your potable water and don't know when you'll get more, you are not inclined to spend that water to shave. Shaving in the field was a leisure time activity unless the CO, (General Paton comes to mind) requires it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Tried Denim stropping the blade and then in three different razors; the 1930 New, an EJ DE89LBL and a Gillette Super Adjustable long handle set on "1".

Drew blood.

Blade sucketh!

I had the great pleasure of meeting Bill Mauldin, hearing him speak, and shaking his hand.:)
Mark and Bill Mauldin.jpg

This picture of Bill Mauldin and me is from the National Cartoonists society Reuben Awards in San Antonio, Texas. (In 1999, I think).

It hasn't changed much. Theory being that beards were incompatible with chemical protective masks, we constantly got harassed about shaving. You could rest assured that larger bases in Iraq and Afghanistan had NCOs checking peeps at the door for shaving and general cleanliness. That sucked in particular when you had been up all night doing soldier things.

Water is a precious thing in the field, with few ways to heat it. Having tried those Gillette blades of that era, I get what Willie and Joe were thinking. Even with the blades of today, it's a tough go; I used those Bic disposables or the Sensor cartridges (AAFES would always have plenty of both) even as late as my last trip in 2012.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom