What's new

Why did the Injector die?

I am baffled as to why the Schick Injector died such an inglorious death.:frown:I get great results in around the time it takes to do a quick cartridge shave.:rolleyes:The injectors get my vote as the best and most innovative razor of the 20th Century and beyond.:biggrin:I love my S/E Gems,but the injectors raised the bar a little higher and remain undisputed champ's IMHO.:wink:

Well it was less popular than DE shaving so I guess they could discontinue selling Injector stuff with a lot less people noticing. I think outside of the US and Japan Injectors are completely gone but I may be wrong.

The injector was never nearly as popular as the DE but it gained ground in the late 1960's- early 70's. People turned away from the DE, many towards electric shaving and Gillette came out with the razor that changed the game- the Trac II. In some way, the injector had some sort of reincarnation with twin-blade cartridges, but also perhaps, the major blow. I still use my injector regularly, and still think it makes for a fantastic shave.

The injector is almost too aggressive for me. Fist time I used it my face was a bloody mess. I have since gotten better with it, but it still has a rough feel about it and it can bite. At first it was a bit befuddling to use, but I think it was a case of over thinking it. The best approach I found was to lather up and just start shaving.

I have since come to terms with it, but I do have to be careful. If I am careful, though, I can get a BBS shave relatively easily with it. I use CVS blades, the only ones I could find, and I have a feeling these blades are not the best choice. It is also the poor workman who blames his tools, but I think I am going to try some Ted Pella's when the CVS blades are done.

Seems to me that the injector was the stepping-stone between DEs and cartridge razors. Certainly they bear some similarity to cartridge razors: safe, quick blade changes, same head shape as the early cartridge razors, etc. My guess is that the injector didn't die, it evolved.

The injector is almost too aggressive for me. Fist time I used it my face was a bloody mess. I have since gotten better with it, but it still has a rough feel about it and it can bite. At first it was a bit befuddling to use, but I think it was a case of over thinking it. The best approach I found was to lather up and just start shaving.

I have since come to terms with it, but I do have to be careful. If I am careful, though, I can get a BBS shave relatively easily with it. I use CVS blades, the only ones I could find, and I have a feeling these blades are not the best choice. It is also the poor workman who blames his tools, but I think I am going to try some Ted Pella's when the CVS blades are done.

Wal-Mart sells blades, to, as does Target. I don't know what the CVS blade brand is, though. Could end up being the same, just repacked. I haven't tried my Injector yet.

It requires the same care as shaving with a DE, but my experience is almost the exact opposite of yours, in that I find it has a much SMOOTHER feel than my DEs (whereas you said it feels ROUGH). I can barely feel anything at all, but the sound is loud and it is mowing down hairs. I use a very light touch.

I think it was a kind of benign neglect. The various drug companies that owned Schick, put less emphasis on the older products. Also, I think that the Japan market must have declined, because it was really the market where any quantity of injector razors was sold the last 5 years of its existance or so.

>>>The injector is almost too aggressive for me

Which injector are you using

Also, the ASR blades are known for cutting and weepers. They were like that in the 80's and are still like that......Personally, I found the Chinese Schicks to be only somewhat better in that department. A lot of the NOS blades from Schick, Gillette, or the Personna 74 injector are all much less prone to cutting, at least using a modern injector type.....

Wal-Mart sells blades, to, as does Target. I don't know what the CVS blade brand is, though. Could end up being the same, just repacked. I haven't tried my Injector yet.

CVS blades are made by ASR. I believe Ted Pella blades are also made by ASR, but a) I could be wrong (I often am) or b) made to different specifications. These do get good reviews, regardless. If Target and Wal-Mart also sell injector blades - I haven't seen them in Houston - my guess is that these are also made by ASR.

It requires the same care as shaving with a DE, but my experience is almost the exact opposite of yours, in that I find it has a much SMOOTHER feel than my DEs (whereas you said it feels ROUGH). I can barely feel anything at all, but the sound is loud and it is mowing down hairs. I use a very light touch.

That has been my experience, the light touch, more so than with most DE's. One my first go around with one, I managed to slice off a small mole I had on my left check. Even with a light touch, they do have a rough feel. That may be due to the quality, or lack thereof, of the CVS blades.

What blades do you use?

>>>The injector is almost too aggressive for me

Which injector are you using

Type E and Type G, I believe.

Last edited:
Fair question. I used one for around three years starting in '66. Later, when I came back following service in the Army (where I used a standard DE), they had been overtaken by the Trac II, as was the DE.
Like most things, the Trac II was advertised as "better", and truth be told the original Trac II was a good razor. From my observation the injector was always a small market share venture, and as such, just did not survive as the profit was not there.

I use Schick injector blades. I bought them from drugstore.com.

+1

They now carry the Chinese-made Schick-branded blades, and I've been sufficiently satisfied with them to not bother looking at other Injector blade alternatives.

Type E and Type G, I believe.

I'd recommend trying a Schick-branded blade in both of those razors. If it is still too rough, you could consider picking up a later model (milder) Injector. I own nothing but type I's and J's, and they all seem to be mild shavers. The I1 is so light, I can drag it as many times as I like across my face without fear of burn or damage.

I don't understand how Schick did not make the jump from Injector to Single Blade Disposable ahead of BIC and everyone else.

They came close with the Wilkinson Bonded Razor, though I don't know if Schick and Wilkinson were in cahoots back then and I don't know how many blades it had.

Top Bottom