What's new

Why did people switch to Cartridges in the 70s?

I shaved with a DE from ages 14-17. I switched to an Atra my senior year of high school. It was much faster and easier to get a good shave. I shaved with the same handle for 20 years, until the head developed some side to side play. Shaved with a second Atra handle until 2005 when it became almost impossible to find Gillette carts, store brands were horrible. I switched to the Mach 3, which addressed the main shortcoming of the Atra, it is easier to clean. It also gives a marginally better shave. Between 2005 and 2016 I have tried all of the Gillette, Schick, DSC and Harry's choices. For me the Mach 3 had the best balance of price and performance.

I switched back to DE shaving last August because I got tired of paying $2.50-4.00 per cartridge. But Gillette has dropped the price of them recently, I can get 10 for about $17.50 at CVS or Walgreens. I can get about 15 comfortable shaves per cartridge. This compares pretty well on a per shave basis with Feather blades which I toss after 3 shaves. To be fair shaving with Astra SP blades is much cheaper.

For me DE shaving is no better than cartridge shaving, it takes longer to achieve the same results. Cartridge shaving was/is much faster and easier. You can autopilot. And there are definitely mornings when I need to. I think most of us switched because it was much quicker and easier to get a good shave. Also for teenagers in the 70s and 80s shaving with a DE was something that your dad or grandfather did. There was a better more modern way. For the vast majority of guys it was just a better, easier way to shave.

Today the latest cartridge offerings are just overkill and Gillette's marketing is ridiculous. The price of Fusion cartridges is out of control. They are losing market share to the shave clubs, but as far as I can find, not too much to DE shaving. In the "developed world" traditional wet shaving is a niche market.

@BigPete nice post, thanks for explaining about 70's and 80's, that's when my father was on a faculty. He stills hates DE :lol:, but actually he hates any kinds of shaving.
For me Fusion is better than DE, but it's only slightly better than shaving with wilkinson swords classic or gillette white platinum. Withdraw from shaving with fusion is i can only go wtg on my lower neck which is pain to shave since it always look like it's not shaven if I don't do XTG pass, when I do XTG irritation is possible.
But for me best razors are ST2's and these are closest to DE shaving I know, smooth, irritation free, the feeling when cutting.
For the price nothing can beat DE (maybe straight but equipment is needed), I bought before new year 50 blades, I had 2 GWP's remaning bought 2 packs of astra SP and 40 of mueller brand blades, all that locally availble for less than 10$, I' have a blade for every week in the year.

I don't know why but I don't see any difference between Astra SP and GWP's

Last edited:
This is a great thread with great insights. I have nothing to add on the original question; it seems to have been covered well.

But I will say that I still love my Gillette Fusion. It's a really excellent piece of equipment that I pull out when traveling by air and don't want to check luggage. So I don't minimize the idea that the cartridge really did move the technology of shaving forward and wasn't merely a gimmick to sell more expensive blades (though I'm sure profits were what the razor manufacturers were looking for).

If all I was looking for in a razor was a fast shave I could do in my sleep as mindlessly as possible, I'd still be using a cart razor every day. And that's what a lot of people have always wanted through the years -- get it over with quickly, efficiently, and comfortably. Nothing wrong that; kinda makes sense actually. In fact, that's what drove the safety razor's development and made Gillette such a success in the early 20th century.

Last edited:
When I started shaving in the 70's I found a Super Speed in the medicine cabinet (my mom used it for her legs and it was my father's who died when I was very young). I tried it and cut myself. It seem clunky and heavy so cartridges were what I started with.

After college I got an electric razor to do the heavy lifting and used a cart to finish. This is how I shaved until a few years ago when I started wet shaving. I became interested in wet shaving for the novelty and challenge of straights and bought a DE as well at that time.

The main downside of carts (I'm think Trac II as I never used the more modern carts) is that they are light weight, don't look good and clog easily. Actually, I'm temped to find a Trac II handle and a pack of blades and see how long I can make them last by stropping after each shave just for fun.

I've noticed since I switched to using brush and soap/cream (or even good brushless creams like KMF or Cremo) that my cartridge razors perform better, clog much less frequently, and last a shave or two longer. Used with with good technique most carts perform quite well. While I don't believe that the best cartridge shave equals the best shave you can get from a DE (or SE or straight), I think most shavers got much better shaves more consistently and with much less effort. I know my dad dropped his injector like a hot knish for the Trac II and never looked back.

For what it's worth, my dad, born in 1900, always shaved with a Schick injector, to the day he died in 1981. he didn't like DE's. I started shaving in the very early sixties with a SS since injectors were rough on my face. In '64 I switched to an adjustable and used one up into the early 70's. I was still in the military, and since it was the ceremonial unit, I really had to be clean shaven. I first used the Wilkinson Bonded when it came out in late 71. I still think it was the best of the bunch, but it quickly disappeared from the PX when the Trac II appeared. Most of us switched at that point to that because it was quick and provided a faster shave. I think the advertising helped a lot but speed was a factor. After that initial indoctrination, it was easier and easier to switch to the more "advanced" carts.
Personally, I returned to single blade shave a few years ago because as I aged my skin grew more sensitive, and three or more carts started giving me irritation. Now, I've gone back to DE's and injectors, and I've found I have the best shaves with an injector. But I still break out a Trac II on occasion and also when I travel. I really like it with the Dollar General twin blade carts I think they're as good as, if not better then the much more expensive carts you can occasionally find made by Gillette.

My dad (85) uses cartridges since, I think early 70's, I have never seen him shaving with DE. I remember that he used Schick injector for a long time, then he first switched on some Schick version of Atra, and then he used Gillette Atra for a long, long time, and was very happy with it. After Atra he switched on Mach 3 and after that on Fusion. Now he mostly use Phillips electric razor and thinks I am out of my mind for using DE razors :D

I have been using Atra in late 90's, after 2000 switched on Sensor XL and shortly after (maybe in 2001 or 02) switched to Mach 3 (dad gave it to me and I liked it a lot and my girlfriend never forgave me that, because the Sensor was her present to me :D ) I had been using Mach 3 till early 2017 when I switched to DE shaving.

I left cartridge razors almost exclusively because of idiotic prices cartridges cost and partly because I remember my late grandfather used only DE, so I wanted to try that technique myself. I remember he always used his white Gillette Slim twist (now I know the model :D ) and had, maybe hundreds of various packs of blades (I have to try to come in possession of it :D ) But now, when I have been shaving with DE razors for over two years, there is no way I would go back to cartridges, not even if cartridges become cheaper than DE blades. Shaving became a pleasant ritual for me and before it was just something I had to do from time to time.

The first time I ever shaved with anything OTHER than a DE was in 1979, at Marine Corps OCS. They made us buy some disposables, and gave us two minutes to do a three minute shave.

My dad (85) uses cartridges since, I think early 70's, I have never seen him shaving with DE. I remember that he used Schick injector for a long time, then he first switched on some Schick version of Atra, and then he used Gillette Atra for a long, long time, and was very happy with it. After Atra he switched on Mach 3 and after that on Fusion. Now he mostly use Phillips electric razor and thinks I am out of my mind for using DE razors :D

I have been using Atra in late 90's, after 2000 switched on Sensor XL and shortly after (maybe in 2001 or 02) switched to Mach 3 (dad gave it to me and I liked it a lot and my girlfriend never forgave me that, because the Sensor was her present to me :D ) I had been using Mach 3 till early 2017 when I switched to DE shaving.

I left cartridge razors almost exclusively because of idiotic prices cartridges cost and partly because I remember my late grandfather used only DE, so I wanted to try that technique myself. I remember he always used his white Gillette Slim twist (now I know the model :D ) and had, maybe hundreds of various packs of blades (I have to try to come in possession of it :D ) But now, when I have been shaving with DE razors for over two years, there is no way I would go back to cartridges, not even if cartridges become cheaper than DE blades. Shaving became a pleasant ritual for me and before it was just something I had to do from time to time.
Carts do not have to be expensive.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For the price nothing can beat DE (maybe straight but equipment is needed), I bought before new year 50 blades, I had 2 GWP's remaning bought 2 packs of astra SP and 40 of mueller brand blades, all that locally availble for less than 10$, I' have a blade for every week in the year.

Carts do not have to be expensive.

The Gillette Guard is as low cost as DE. I just finished shave 6 on the same cart today and it shows no sign of stopping yet. If I get 10 and have no reason to believe I won't based on the thread here that talks about guard blade longevity, that means a cartridge is about 2.5 cents per shave, so just a hair under $10 per year. So very comparable. Now if you insist on Fusions the only way to keep the cost down is to try to stretch blade life by stropping on the arm or other tricks but even then will probably be a bit more than DE.

The other way the Guard can be insanely cheaper is that it's not likely to lead to...
Searching for my birth year guard (side note: I totally DON'T understand the birth year thing. You didn't start shaving as an infant. Why not get one from the year you started shaving. At least that lines up with some shaving event in your life.)
Looking for a more efficient guard
Looking for a less aggressive guard
Searching for heavier guard
Searching for a lighter guard
Getting my guard restored
Killing time on auction sites trying to snag a guard at a great price
Not wasting time figuring out which blade works best with the guard

The Gillette Guard is as low cost as DE. I just finished shave 6 on the same cart today and it shows no sign of stopping yet. If I get 10 and have no reason to believe I won't based on the thread here that talks about guard blade longevity, that means a cartridge is about 2.5 cents per shave, so just a hair under $10 per year. So very comparable. Now if you insist on Fusions the only way to keep the cost down is to try to stretch blade life by stropping on the arm or other tricks but even then will probably be a bit more than DE.

The other way the Guard can be insanely cheaper is that it's not likely to lead to...
Searching for my birth year guard (side note: I totally DON'T understand the birth year thing. You didn't start shaving as an infant. Why not get one from the year you started shaving. At least that lines up with some shaving event in your life.)
Looking for a more efficient guard
Looking for a less aggressive guard
Searching for heavier guard
Searching for a lighter guard
Getting my guard restored
Killing time on auction sites trying to snag a guard at a great price
Not wasting time figuring out which blade works best with the guard

Lower prices will hurt some competition like Harry’s etc. Maybe drive a few of them out of business/competition then they can jack up the prices again.

Bless their hearts.

No thanks.

I was in the military then and had to shave every day. The Trac II and a can of Gillette Foamy worked well for that. There were also long periods where I used an electric razor. When you work long hours, you can't spend a half-hour shaving ever day.

Double edge disposables and can of foam still work quickly, well and are economical for daily shaving.

The first time I ever shaved with anything OTHER than a DE was in 1979, at Marine Corps OCS. They made us buy some disposables, and gave us two minutes to do a three minute shave.
Did that have anything to do with discouraging you from becoming attached to anything that could have sentimental value, in case you had to abandon everything at a moment's notice?

Well, the problem is that I was born in '71 and started shaving in '85. In 1971 most guys buying Gillette were still using DEs and it's not hard to find a birth quarter DE razor. In fact, I have two; a Super-109 and a Super Speed, in which I have a total of $30 invested and they're both now out of rotation. Now, if I looked really hard I might or might not come up with a 1985 Super-109. But that's not what people really used in 1985. If they were still Gillette men (though plenty had switched to Bic by then) they used Good News disposables or the Atra. I have an Atra. I hate my Atra. The center pivot blade keeps coming off my face. I'm not going to throw perfectly good money at a 1985 Atra handle.

But it doesn't matter, because that's not what I used in 1985. My father was a Norelco man. The Christmas I was 14 I got a Norelco. I used the Norelco for years and never once got a good shave with it. I finally switched to wet shaving when somebody gave me a Mach 3 with its bottom-pivot cartridge, and I used that for years until the cartridges got too expensive. Then Walmart's Wilkinson Sword Tech 3 until it was discontinued, though it wasn't as good as the Mach 3, then Dorco, which was still not as good as the Mach 3, and now DE. I get a better shave experience with my 1966 Slim and a good blade than with anything else I've ever used.

Did that have anything to do with discouraging you from becoming attached to anything that could have sentimental value, in case you had to abandon everything at a moment's notice?

Hmm...certainly not at a conscious level, although as you say, being in the service really makes it difficult to carry or own much in the way of "stuff." One travels light. The DE I had before I went into the service had been my Dad's. He gave it to me when I was 14 and bought himself a new one. I have no idea what happened to that razor. It was a different era; one would no more be sentimental about a DE razor in the 1970's than you would get sentimental about a toothbrush or a dop kit.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I was in the military then and had to shave every day. The Trac II and a can of Gillette Foamy worked well for that. There were also long periods where I used an electric razor. When you work long hours, you can't spend a half-hour shaving ever day.

Double edge disposables and can of foam still work quickly, well and are economical for daily shaving.

Undeniable for the 90 plus percent of shavers. This shaving hobby is very niche. Seems large when you are on the forums, but in a world of billions of shavers, it's not.

Lower prices will hurt some competition like Harry’s etc. Maybe drive a few of them out of business/competition then they can jack up the prices again.

Bless their hearts.

No thanks.

The Guard isn't currently marketed in the US, nor is it likely to be as it would cannibalize Gillette's more profitable lines. I don't see them jacking up prices on the Guard any time soon.

If I see them raising prices I'll just lay in a 1000+ piece supply like many have in blades :)

I enjoy my DE and SE shaves more, but I can't deny that carts can shave 99% as well for me and quicker and for many others.

In my family, people switched to cartridges bevause it was on the shelf and there wasn't that michonline ordering in the 90s.

But most of my folks still kept the brush/cream combo. The ethnic grocery stores would always sell the creams

Top Bottom