What's new

Why Did I Switch from Injectors 50 years ago?

I started shaving in the 1950's with various Gillette DE razors. Then in the late '50's-early '60's I switched to Schick Injectors. At the time, I thought they were a new design, being clueless that they had been around since at least the '30's. Then, when multiple blade razors and cartridges came out, I switched to them. I kept doing that through the Gillette Fusions until a year or so, when I (re)discovered wet shaving and B&B. Now that I am using vintage Schick Injectors (mostly Type G's), I keep asking myself why I ever bought into the hype to use the newest, latest and greatest shaving innovation of the moment, whatever that might be. I shoulda just stuck with the Injectors.

Rhetorical question; no need for anyone to comment, although you are welcome to. Just sharing...

More proof that advertising works. Nobody really knows exactly why or how it does, but study after study proves that it does.

For whatever reason, glad to have you back. I just bought my first Schick (E-2) and can't wait for blades to arrive so I can take it for a spin.

I started shaving in the 1950's with various Gillette DE razors. Then in the late '50's-early '60's I switched to Schick Injectors. At the time, I thought they were a new design, being clueless that they had been around since at least the '30's. Then, when multiple blade razors and cartridges came out, I switched to them. I kept doing that through the Gillette Fusions until a year or so, when I (re)discovered wet shaving and B&B. Now that I am using vintage Schick Injectors (mostly Type G's), I keep asking myself why I ever bought into the hype to use the newest, latest and greatest shaving innovation of the moment, whatever that might be. I shoulda just stuck with the Injectors.

Rhetorical question; no need for anyone to comment, although you are welcome to. Just sharing...

I went the other way in 1962 or thereabouts, myself. I had a terrible time with DEs at age 14, and mastered an SE with no trouble at all. And stayed with those for at least eight years, although from 1957 to 1962, I was using Schick's I-model razor, and a type of Pal Injectomatic I've never seen since then. I suspect I changed to the DE because facial hair had become popular again, including relatively bushy sideburns.

My sideburns today are shorter and less full, but my I-1 and I-2 aren't very good at keeping the creep under control. I held onto a J-1 Injector for a long while after the SE to DE switch because it was better for my random- direction patches of whiskers under the sides of my chin and on my neck, however, even though I could never use electrics often, those always were quicker about "reducing" the stubble on those randomish spots, started to use a Norelco matched to my Super Adjustable, and however many of the SEs / Injectors I'd held onto until then, they all disappeared.

I just completed my sixth shave with an injector (same) same blade. I think the shaves are incredible! $HGTAM.jpg

Top Bottom