What's new

Why CONUS Only?

Sure, I can spend the time printing the labels and paperwork at home, but then I still have to go to the post office to drop it off. I've tried it. It just didn't work for me...
But you are right, those forwarding services are a true blessing!
You can drop it in your mailbox... Just order the flat rate shipping boxes on the website for free so you have the boxes and you're good to go.

You can drop it in your mailbox... Just order the flat rate shipping boxes on the website for free so you have the boxes and you're good to go.
That would work if I was shipping a razor, but with the weight limits still posted on mailboxes, I'm wouldn't try to send mail a box with a couple tubs of shave soap.
But then I tend to be a bit too cautious when it comes to shipping overseas. I've been selling on eBay for more than twenty years and I have had a few too many issues with international shipping...

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
International shipping can be done from home with USPS Click n Ship and flat rate boxes. The rates are listed on the USPS site. Typically a small flat rate box costs about $36.55 or something close to that if memory serves me correctly.

There is the extra customs form that gets filled out, and you tuck it inside the box because it prints with the label.

So, the seller would have the extra step of filling out a customs form.

I think it is wise for international buyers to consider using a forwarding service like ship to to avoid errors with the customs forms.
That sounds like the easiest option and probably one I'd opt for if I did ship overseas. I like flat rate as I don't have a postage scale at home.

The other part that confuses me is each carrier, USPS, UPS, FedEx all have several levels of overseas shipping and you have to sort through them based on what they provide and the pricing etc.

If I were a business and had a good overseas market, I would make the effort to cater to overseas customer. As one person selling the occasional sub $100 item, it's generally not worth the extra hassle for me. Probably another YMMV area.

I've shipped items overseas 4 - 5 times, not extensively. My view is there are items in the USA easily found that may be difficult to find in other countries. We are a group of gentlemen here, so if a gentleman in another country wants to purchase one of my items, I will take the time to accommodate him. Before selling to an overseas buyer, I check to see if they've been on our forum for a length of time & has a history of participating on the board. If the buyer is willing to pay for the additional costs for shipping, I will take the time on my end.
Thanks to Ebay & also to members in the forum here like you Sir, I am able to owned and enjoyed shaving with vintage razors such as Gillette Single Ring, New SC & LC, Red Tip, and surprisingly a Fatboy!

I am from Malaysia and really appreciate anyone who's willing to ship an item and at a reasonable rate. I also understand if they inform can't ship. No worries. Some are willing to ship but perhaps the rate is kinda high. I guess there must be an understanding between the seller and buyer.
These forums are truly outstanding to discover Gentlemens and Kindness. I recently was offered & received a quite expensive soap for free but just pay for shipping because after the seller informed me about the total cost including shipping, I replied won't buy it but instead, I was offered for it FOC but just pay to ship...wow!

I have enough razors for now (RAD is 'cured') mainly because of shipping. I am still crazy for soaps & creams and especially for aftershaves. IB refunded my aftershave order because their post still not shipping to my place.

Having said that, a US Ebay seller shipped a Clubman VI Bayrum to me 1 week ago. Finger crossed!!

I have received DE blades from the TGBE & Czech PIF participation. All in not bad.

I still look at the BST with heart-break as some items are so sought after....especially straight razors, but in retrospect, it's a good thing!
I find a yearning for it is better than owning it...hahahaha. I used to enjoy reading about the RR GC 0.84 SB very much but since I have it now, I am gravitating to Karve or Timeless.
Thanks to all and best regards,

Then there's that "gentleman" who wanted me to falsify the value on the customs declaration so they could evade duty ..

The US has a 800$ allowance for goods to be untaxed. Germany has an allowance of 25$.

If the US hat an allowance of 25$ you would most likely do the same.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
stamps . com has a new built-in service for international shipping. You fill out the shipping and simple custom form online, very similar to the way you ship a domestic package with them. The customs form was very much simplified. List of items and value. Thats it. Then the package ships to a service center in the states via USPS, where they then forward it to the international postal carrier. I shipped two packages to Canada this week to try it out. The process is quick and easy. I will be following the tracking, and let you all know how it goes.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
The US has a 800$ allowance for goods to be untaxed. Germany has an allowance of 25$.

If the US hat an allowance of 25$ you would most likely do the same.

I'm always impressed when folks can read other people's intentions ... I'm sure you are right, if I was brought up in Germany I might think about laws differently.

But, I was brought up here, in the conus, and taught otherwise.

I have bought many items of the years, fountain pens and more recently razors where the item was listed as CONUS only. When I contacted the seller and offered to pay the difference To Canada (America’s Hat indeed. Then you’re our underwear) in all but one occasion we were able to make a deal and I almost always received it in 8-12 days.

I say talk to the seller. Most I have found will be happy to oblige.

I'm always impressed when folks can read other people's intentions ... I'm sure you are right, if I was brought up in Germany I might think about laws differently.

But, I was brought up here, in the conus, and taught otherwise.

Not really sure what upbringing has to do with that. That's on the individual level and not the collective level. However, Germany has a higher lawfulness index than the US. Feel free to look that up here: WJP Rule of Law Index - https://worldjusticeproject.org/rule-of-law-index/

That would work if I was shipping a razor, but with the weight limits still posted on mailboxes, I'm wouldn't try to send mail a box with a couple tubs of shave soap.
But then I tend to be a bit too cautious when it comes to shipping overseas. I've been selling on eBay for more than twenty years and I have had a few too many issues with international shipping...

This is an often misunderstood rule. I'm assuming you are referring to this sticker on the mailboxes? If you look closely it states specifically "Stamped Mail Over 13 Ounces Prohibited" and all mail that bears postage stamps (emphasis added) and weighs more than 13 ounces must be taken by the customer to a retail service counter at the Post Office."

Having shipped thousands of packages and hundreds overseas, some with stamps (I'm a stamp collector and use my excess stamps from lots to mail packages) and some without, I have only once had a package over 13 oz mailed with an online shipping label returned after mailing (which was international) due to an overzealous clerk. Some clerks at individual offices will request/require an in person drop off of international packages so that they can scan it into the system and stamp the customs form for the few countries that require it.

I have had a few packages returned (using stamps) that my scale weighed as 13 oz, but some scale in the postal system weighed as 13.01+ oz however.

Although, I have found that USPS is my favorite company for shipping domestically (price, reliability and speed), International package services are incredibly exorbitant (especially compared to most other countries international post rates) and often take quite a bit longer than they should (especially if your package gets routed through the SFO or ORD hub).

Also, once your package reaches the Destination country, it is then handled by the local postal service, which can often have its own reliability problems. International postal treaties also govern how far tracking goes, IE to departure from the US, arrival at the destination country, or to delivery. This also varies by whether you ship first class international (up to 4 lbs), small flat rate box, or flat rate envelopes vs. priority mail international (other than small flat rate box or envelopes, which are actually treated as first class international).

Having lived abroad myself for extended period of time, I definitely appreciate those who are willing to take the chance and extra hassle (even though it is typically minimal) to mail me things from the USA. That being said, I totally understand those who choose not to.

However, it was incredibly frustrating, especially when I sold things on auction sites with international shipping offered (and calculated automatically), and would get a constant barrage of "Can't shipping be cheaper?" and "Why is shipping so much??!! What if I don't want the box?" Unfortunately, international shipping from the USA for anything other than a standard letter or a postcard is much more expensive than from most other countries. We as individuals don't control the cost of international shipping services from the USA and can't simply materialize a cheaper shipping option.

Although I'm new on this forum, I would anticipate that people here are probably more cordial and understanding about these things than on a typical commercial website.

Hope this is helpful. I would also suggest verifying anything I posted above, as I haven't shipped a high volume of packages internationally for a few years now, so a some of these points MAY have become outdated.

Attachments

• usps1.jpg
    usps1.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 4
it costs a lot now to mail out of US with tracking any 'parcel' (not letter or flat) and as the seller, it is YOUR responsibility (no matter what the buyer says to you) to prove delivery to the buyer. That costs a ton to many places international. Also you have to wait in a line and fill hand forms or the same online and bring to the clerk, and the int'l buyer's money is taken by paypal at +2%. If there was a way for the buyer to send me money that they couldn't get back (like zelle here in US) and all I have to do is give it to the clerk properly addressed, I would be happy to help out the international enthusiast. But nobody wants to pay the overhead for real tracking and no buyer wants to agree to assume the risk of theft or loss in mail.

I know there is some stuff that is listed on BST that can't be shipped like anything with alcohol because its considered a hazard.

In the past when I would go to the post office to mail things shipping overseas meant standing in line, waiting for the international form, stepping out of line to fill out the form, jumping back in line once it's filled out and finishing the process. This meant a more lengthy trip to the post office as I couldn't use the automated machines and the drop box.

I've found that I can mail packages internationally via Paypal and fill out the customs for right from my computer at home. So I just drop it at the post office, label attached as I would any other package. Much easier this way.

There are other issues to think about like how you declare your package due to VAT tax. I don't want the recipient having to pay an excessive amount of cash to pick up the package I've sent. I'll usually mark the item as a gift to avoid this.

Another consideration is the cost of shipping internationally which can often times match or exceed the value of the item you are sending.

In addition, due to the increased risk, I'll often insist on a Friends and Family payment to ensure that the risk is theirs and not mine.

So for me, if they are willing to pay the additional charges and take the risk I'll send it.

If I want something I'll always ask the seller, politely, if they'll ship outside the US. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. No harm in asking and 99% are polite in return.

Mailed (USPS First Class) a few soaps to Australia earlier this week. 17 ounces....$27.50 shipping expense.
We shall see......

Top Bottom