What's new

Why coffee changes flavor as it cools

Very interesting read. And it makes sense that oxidation is changing the flavor. And why drinking out of an open mug versus a closed travel mug tastes better, there is more aroma involvement!
Ain't coffee grand!

It's a whole 'nuther rabbit hole!

I will read the article, but I was under the impression that it was your taste buds that didn't function properly with hot liquids and that when cooler (160 degrees vs 140 degrees), more of the flavor is received. I find that with soups as well, so I think there's some validity to it.

I will read the article, but I was under the impression that it was your taste buds that didn't function properly with hot liquids and that when cooler (160 degrees vs 140 degrees), more of the flavor is received. I find that with soups as well, so I think there's some validity to it.
OK, I've read the article, but since I perceived the same thing with other hot liquids, I'll stick with my statement above.

The oxidation process is why I like to buy whole beans and grind them as I need to. There's just something about the smell and taste freshly ground coffee that you can't beat!

On a similar note, I assume the oxidation process is why cold brewed coffee tastes different from hot coffee that has been left to cool down or is there something else at work there?

OK, I've read the article, but since I perceived the same thing with other hot liquids, I'll stick with my statement above.

I read the article as echoing your sentiment exactly. The main effect is likely to be our ability to sense flavours as temperature decreases. It's important to note that flavour perception is not taste - it is highly influenced by the sense of smell.

Some people like the idea of oxidative effects being responsible, but I'm not sure there's much evidence for this. Temperature of brewed coffee seems to correlate closely with coffee flavour, going from predominantly bitter at high temps (bottom end of this is around 55 degC) through sweet and aromatic (around 35-45 degC) to sour (around 20degC). Obviously the varietal/s, processing, roasting and preparation are massive variables which we can try to select or manipulate to taste, but the overall picture seems to be as above for any given coffee.

An interesting note is that while someone might enjoy a cup of coffee that's scalding hot (say 70degC, above the pain threshold for most people) the act of slurping it will cool the liquid. So really, it's not at 70 degrees when it hits the tongue.

I once had a coffee at a specialty coffee place where I was bemused to be given a temperature gun along with my Chemex coffee. They said it was best at exactly 42degC. They weren't far off...

Top Bottom