What's new

Why buy shirts that must be ironed?

What's next, Tidy & Bowl, for those who really like to clean toilets? :tongue:

P.S., I can't believe you lunatics have me thinking even for one second of getting non-non-iron shirts from Brooks Brothers next time. What is wrong with you people?!?!?!?!? :biggrin1:

Last edited:
What's next, Tidy & Bowl, for those who really like to clean toilets? :tongue:

P.S., I can't believe you lunatics have me thinking even for one second of getting non-non-iron shirts from Brooks Brothers next time. What is wrong with you people?!?!?!?!? :biggrin1:

Unlike the rest of America we know how to look good?

I'm ironing my traditional Brooks Brothers shirts right now. :w00t:

The non-iron shirts look and feel too much like polyester. :lol:

<The non-iron shirts look and feel too much like polyester. >

I have been long time since I have had a polyester bland shirt, but I do not think so!

What would a 100% cotton shirt treated with formaldahyde or whatever come out looking and feeling like polyester anyway? Just because both hold a crease?

Actually, the non-iron shirts feel more like paper mache. I was just being kind...

What's next, wrinkle-resistant shoes? Only if one walks like Frankenstein.

Must.....resist.....creases

To each his own, I guess.

Actually, the non-iron shirts feel more like paper mache. I was just being kind...

What's next, wrinkle-resistant shoes? Only if one walks like Frankenstein.

Must.....resist.....creases

To each his own, I guess.

Not sure why I have been as active as I have on this thread. I do not own stock in any non iron fabric company as far as I know, and I think I will continue to wear sometimes non iron and sometimes regular cotton, and will probably continue to buy both, although I seem to lean more toward the non iron, at least until I brush up on skills on the ironing fora!

I noticed earlier that you described BB non iron as seeming "stiff and cheap" and at the time I wondered about that. What I have does not seen stiff to me. Not really any stiffer than a non-starched regular cotton shirt, and less stiff by far than a starched shirt. If anything, they could be stiffer for my purposes and they would probably need touch up ironing less frequently and might look more like a starched shirt.

Did you last try these quite a while ago or something? The one's you tried just seem so different from what I have been wearing. I can see issues with them not being brilliant white, and with them needing touch up ironing. And my experience is they seem to attact dirt for some reaon. And maybe someone can spot something about the cloth that I do not seem to that gives it away as non iron. But I they had not seemed stiffer.

Hmmm....

My experiences:
Non-iron poly blends feel semi-synthetic, because they are. They do not feel like 100&#37; cotton non-iron. Good quality cotton non-iron does not feel like paper mache or polyester. I wear polyester to the gym and sometimes Geoffrey Beene sateen shirts. So I know what poly feels like. I also have no problems with synthetic fibers, but do appreciate the feel of super fine cotton.

That said, I highly doubt we'll be able to find non-ironed sea island cotton. Non-iron cotton shirts are probably only made with pima cotton at best. So, to be fair to non-iron shirts, we have to compare non-iron cotton to iron cotton of similar quality.

I'm still moving to fully custom shirts that cost $135-$200. 100% must-iron cotton. Wish I could afford sea island, but I'm probably stuck with pima. As for non-iron shirts, I really like the JAB Traveller ones. Pricey, but worth it for travel and low maintenance. Just buy it during their 50% off sales. They are a little baggy and don't fit me perfectly though.

Hmmm....

My experiences:
Non-iron poly blends feel semi-synthetic, because they are. They do not feel like 100% cotton non-iron. Good quality cotton non-iron does not feel like paper mache or polyester. I wear polyester to the gym and sometimes Geoffrey Beene sateen shirts. So I know what poly feels like. I also have no problems with synthetic fibers, but do appreciate the feel of super fine cotton.

That said, I highly doubt we'll be able to find non-ironed sea island cotton. Non-iron cotton shirts are probably only made with pima cotton at best. So, to be fair to non-iron shirts, we have to compare non-iron cotton to iron cotton of similar quality.

I'm still moving to fully custom shirts that cost $135-$200. 100% must-iron cotton. Wish I could afford sea island, but I'm probably stuck with pima. As for non-iron shirts, I really like the JAB Traveller ones. Pricey, but worth it for travel and low maintenance. Just buy it during their 50% off sales. They are a little baggy and don't fit me perfectly though.

You aren't even a lawyer yet, and you're developing some expensive tastes:lol:

You aren't even a lawyer yet, and you're developing some expensive tastes:lol:

I did the math. $200,000 for a law school education. Multiply by 1% and I think I'm justified in spending $2,000 in upgrading my wardrobe so I can land the job that justifies the ridiculous expense. My damn tailoring bill is many many times the amount I've spent on the actual suits I've procured lately....... :001_rolle

Better have a couple of shirts to go with the Oxxford, Brioni, & HF suits... *facepalm*

First off, no iron shirts are a freaking joke. I have some. I iron them. Ironing, which by the way, I do enjoy....don't call it weird (people think we're weird to like shaving...). Anyway, this post has tons of grammatical faults and I don't care right now, but ironing is fun to me. Additionally, it gives that crisp, clean look that you get from pressed clothes. Non-iron clothes do not have that. They don't have crisp creases. Wash that shirt and tell me if you can really get by without ironing it....I can't. I like creases. I crease my undergarments.

I'm kind of the opposite. Don't like starch, or creases, or ironing, or replacing buttons that the cleaner cracks on every other service.

BB non-iron shirts are, for me, perfect. I do have shirts meant to be ironed as well, but I don't iron them. A standing steamer (can be had at Walmart and elsewhere) works better for me. Takes out wrinkles, leaves the shirt soft and supple, without the ironed and creased look. Perfect for me.

They are a little baggy and don't fit me perfectly though.

This is a huge problem for me, I'm an average size guy and find that regular fit shirts are way too baggy for me. I hate it when my shirt is so baggy that it bunches under my suit jacket, so I've gone completely slim fit.

I prefer Brooks non-iron because they are essentially free, when you consider that you don't have to get them professionally cleaned and ironed. The Brooks shirts have a lifetime guarantee, so if you buy a shirt from them and the fabric starts to fray (and it eventually will), you can take it back and they will hand you a new one, no questions asked. While some of the high-end shirts may be a little more comfortable to wear than the non-iron shirts, I prefer my shirts to be wrinkle-free throughout the day and no matter how well a shirt is ironed, it will develop wrinkles after a few hours of wear. Thus, I'm slowly starting to replace all my shirts with non-iron ones.

If you are looking for a good, affordable custom shirt (not non-iron), check out Jantzentailor.com. It's a Hong Kong based store that takes orders over the internet. I've had great luck with them over the years. A custom shirt normally runs around $50, which is much cheaper than you'd find anywhere else. They use very good fabrics; I think they buy remnants from the factories that make shirts for some of the more well-known designers. They also use mother of pearl buttons on every shirt, which is a nice touch.

I like BB non iron shirts, especially with dress clothes. With jeans a regular ironed cotton (no starch) shirt looks better (my opinion anyway). I prefer BB non iron shirts to a starched shirt any day.

I'm kind of the opposite. Don't like starch, or creases, or ironing, or replacing buttons that the cleaner cracks on every other service.

BB non-iron shirts are, for me, perfect. I do have shirts meant to be ironed as well, but I don't iron them. A standing steamer (can be had at Walmart and elsewhere) works better for me. Takes out wrinkles, leaves the shirt soft and supple, without the ironed and creased look. Perfect for me.

Cleaners? Cleaners? We don't use no stinking cleaners! Iron at home. I have, at any given time, a case of Sta Flo pure starch and any number of steamser and irons. Yep, IAD is just as bad as any other.

Cleaners? Cleaners? We don't use no stinking cleaners! Iron at home. I have, at any given time, a case of Sta Flo pure starch and any number of steamser and irons. Yep, IAD is just as bad as any other.

No Argo? I bet if one had the right tools ironing a shirt might go a lot easier!

I would love to hear about it.

Top Bottom