What's new

Why buy a filtered pipe?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Hopefully you all can educate this new pipe smoker. Obviously a filtered pipe functions to filter the smoke, but why don’t all pipes come with filters? What exactly are they filtering? Is there any benefit to either smoking with or without them? How often should they be replaced? Also, if you happen to gurgle, does having a filter effect padding a cleaner?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For myself filters promote a cooler dryer smoke. The carbon 9mm also a seem to remove some of the ammonia notes I get. The downside for me ya a reduced flavor.

While I have a big box of filters and more than a few filter pipes, I rarely use them.

I'm very new too and I just researched this. From what I have learned it's more to keep the dampness and gurgling down than it is to filter out particulate. I just ordered a new pipe that accepts the 6mm balsa filters, so I plan to give it a try both ways to see what I like. Should be here Tuesday. From what I have read filters are good for between 1 and 4 smokes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
All the filters I have seen/used would prevent passing a pipe cleaner.

Aaaahh! “Affect passing a pipe cleaner”, now I get it .

A filter will always prevent passing a cleaner down. As a matter of fact you can’t clean the pipe till it cools, unless you like to tempt fate and pull the stem right after a smoke.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ha I've noticed that Ted. Seems I keep on trying.

Just another variable for me. I'm happy to put the filters in the pipes I have that take them.

Never had a filter pipe myself, but IIRC, the Brigham filters are hollow tubes which do pass a cleaner.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
C418F639-98B6-4369-800B-FD3165E19902.jpeg

Never had a filter pipe myself, but IIRC, the Brigham filters are hollow tubes which do pass a cleaner.

Totally correctly!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Brigham pipes. www.brighampipes.com Kinda my neck of the woods.

Must be English on the other side of the box. Maple wood filters that reduce tongue bite and produce a dry smoke. Replace every 2 to 3 weeks and if you want to use them longer rinse and dry.

Interesting question. I have both types of pipes in my stable. Im going to say that the 9mm variety can in some instances improve smoking characteristics of some blends. For me sometimes i may have a blend that might be a little wetter than ideal and has some rather harsh edges in its flavor profile and I find the filter can mute that and amplify other more pleasant aspects of the flavor, or at least the perception of how the flavors are balanced. Sometimes a blend loses its umph a little and other times it brings out flavors that are buried by a more dominant tobacco. I also believe that it helps with taming bitey blends as well. It dries the smoke fairly dramatically and a wet smoke bites more readily. Some folks think they mute the flavors too much but for me it also allows me to push a bowl a little more when things are tasting particularly good. I smoke all my pipes and enjoy each one for the different experiences they provide. Have fun and try it you might like the way they smoke.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I like aromatic tobacco and don't use a filter in my cobs but if I smoke a non-aromatic I find that using a filter smooths things out better for me. I can't tolerate dark birds eye without a filter but if I use one I can smoke a whole pipe and still get a nic hit without my mouth and throat feeling/tasting harsh or like I want to dry heave.

Top Bottom