What's new

Why are you a cream man...or a soap man?

Batting for both sides!!

Switch hitter here, too. Croap, hard pucks, shave sticks, a few artisan soaps, traditional tube creams, one tub cream, latherless creams, and mixed lathers. When I treat myself, I use some custom soaps I was PIFed by a forum buddy. Shaving has become a cocktail. But for most of my life: Williams Mug, straight, no chaser.

As in, you use soaps from 50 years ago?

Hey, I used Williams 50 years ago, does that count? I wouldn’t pay extra for vintage Williams, but I do have a couple pucks of vintage Old Spice, one active, one in reserve. If I trap a wild tube or jar of Barbasol, Mollé, or another vintage cream I will open it and see if I can get it to work.

I prefer croaps and soaps. Creams just never found as much favor although used only a couple and they were good (palmolive, nivea, co bigelow/proraso, lavanda, kmf)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
1592573359580.png

Aside from my recent Arko kick (ARKO!), creams are more my thing.

The other soaps I have all have phenomenal scents, but they’re tougher on my skin than my poor shaving technique.

Cremogena Plus (one of @ShaverAZ ’s recipes), Nivea Sensitive Shaving Gel (remixed in a bowl because it’s dummy thicc right from the can), and KMF Pomegranate Grapefruit all soften my whiskers, make my skin into a slick, gliding surface, and leave all the dermal insult to my mishandling of mild and crazy razors.

Wish I had found Arko before creams because ARKO!

Soaps for me, particularly the new artisan soaps. Performance has never been better and there are more scents than you could ever think of.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I find the lather from creams to be too dense. I can get a thinner lather, more to my liking, from soaps. If I thin a cream down to the same extent, it loses performance.

I started with soaps and I've stayed with them . . . . although some could be considerd to be croaps. I've never tried a cream with no plans to start.

Proraso tubs and Arko sticks are what I use. Longevity and storage stability were reasons for the choice.

Soap for travelling, cream for home...

I am exactly the opposite. I use mostly tubs of artisan soap at home. When traveling, I carry a tube of Cremo. If I leave a tube of Cremo in a hotel room, it can be replaced easily at the nearest Walmart, Target, etc.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Almost all hard soaps. I will use a cream on while traveling. Tubes of cream are handy and I don't care for the feel of rubbing a stick of soap on my face and pucks are cumbersome for travel.

I'm a soap guy. I used creams when I started because they were easier to lather. Once I learned how to lather soaps (and I only face lather) I never looked back. I feel soaps perform better, have a better post-shave feel, and the ones I use don't have many/any chemicals.

Mostly creams out of habit more than anything. Easy to get a dollop out of the container, schmear it into a bowl and quickly get a decent amount of lather. My early pre-B&B experience of soaps (Williams) was poor and that's likely been a subliminal turn off as well. Shame really since I get fantastic shaves from some soaps like Fine American & Snakebite and Haslinger - Honey.

Making it my resolution to use more soaps!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
explain to me - why are you a cream man...or a soap man?

Started with a cream; Proraso Green. Why? Better than cheap crud, smells OK, nice and slick.
Went to a croap; Proraso Green. Why? Same price as cream, twice as much soap.
Started making my own soap. Why? I like making things, and this is useful. I like red cedar scent, so this is a very slick and thick soap with red cedar.

Makes this antique professor smell like a real timberjack. One chick totally digs it, and she's the one who counts.

O.H.

I don't have a preference but I do like creams and croaps. My water here is mostly limestone based so incredibly hard so hard soaps don't lather too easily so I lean to softer stuff. TOBS creams and softer soaps such as the Goodfellas Smiles seems to work better for me. Proraso features heavily in my rotation.

View attachment 1115055
Aside from my recent Arko kick (ARKO!), creams are more my thing.

The other soaps I have all have phenomenal scents, but they’re tougher on my skin than my poor shaving technique.

Cremogena Plus (one of @ShaverAZ ’s recipes), Nivea Sensitive Shaving Gel (remixed in a bowl because it’s dummy thicc right from the can), and KMF Pomegranate Grapefruit all soften my whiskers, make my skin into a slick, gliding surface, and leave all the dermal insult to my mishandling of mild and crazy razors.

Wish I had found Arko before creams because ARKO!
ARKO!

Top Bottom