What's new

Why are you a cream man...or a soap man?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Soap because The best soaps are vintage soaps and that’s what I use. I don’t think vintage creams have made it 50+ years

Soap because The best soaps are vintage soaps and that’s what I use. I don’t think vintage creams have made it 50+ years
I'd say I'm mostly a soap man and half of the ones I use are vintage, most of those Yardleys from every decade starting in the 30s but I do have and use some very, very good vintage creams. The oldest ones are tubes, which obviously keep longer since the exposed area is much smaller but the oldest are probably around 40 years old whereas I have Yardleys that I know for sure and Houbigants that I believe are in the 80+ in age and perform exceptionally.
Oh, and p.s. some of the oldest soaps that I got unused and sealed that had appeared to have lost their scent, the fragrance has slowly been revealed has I worked my way deeper into them. Very pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Soap man myself

I did use a few creams, mostly in the beginning, because well my lathering tehnique and I got better lather from creams than soaps. When I got the hang of soaps I just liked it better and I can say, unless they stop making hard soap, I'm not going back.

Soap is cheaper per shave than creams. It's easier to overuse cream than soap. Cream are easier to lather in a bowl, I exclusively face lather (I feel like I can control lather better). Locally I can source maybe 4 shaving creams, only one worth mentioning - Palmolive. On the other hand I can locally get Tabac and Palmolive stick, what to use? For me a no brainer.

I like soaps more these days especially shave sticks. Face lathering them is fun and minimalist. No bowl to worry about. I only use creams every now and then.

I get a closer shave with soap sticks and all soaps that I first rub into my stubble before lathering

Reactions: ike

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have and use both, but there are too many soaps on the market that I like to abandon that form factor. I admit the creams I have are a touch easier to lather, but soaps aren't very much harder in my opinion/experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom