What's new

Why are Will Ferrell's movies so funny?

I acually think its all him. If you put anyone else in those roles, they probably wouldn't work. Hell, I even laugh at Elf :rolleyes:

He's got the timing and delivery, but he's also a great physical comedian. I'm sure there's more to it, but I don't know what it is.

Jordan
"Dear baby Jesus..."

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I think I really became a fan of his movies, (he was always great in SNL), when he did Old School. The scene when he shoots himself in the neck with the horse tranquilizer dart... My ribs were aching. :biggrin: I don't know if its because we see a little bit of ourselves in the characters he plays which makes him so funny, but his comedic timing is impeccable.

I used to think he was pretty boring too until I saw Talladega Nights. The first time I watched this movie, I had to stop it a few times because I was laughing TOO hard. That's got to be one of the most quotable movies I've seen in recent time. Some of his other movies, like Elf and Anchor Man, I didn't too much care for.

"...I don't know what to do with my hands..." :lol: :lol:

-Allen

I'm split, I think some things are hilarious and others simply stupid.

Me too. Old School was awesome. Anchor Man and Talladega Nights...not so much.

I think I really became a fan of his movies, (he was always great in SNL), when he did Old School. The scene when he shoots himself in the neck with the horse tranquilizer dart... My ribs were aching. :biggrin: I don't know if its because we see a little bit of ourselves in the characters he plays which makes him so funny, but his comedic timing is impeccable.

"Yo...You...You'rrrreee craaazzzzy, mannnn..."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"You're my boy, Blue!"

Old School was great. Elf was better. I think for me though the novelty of Farrell has tapered off a little. I knew Talledega was a couch movie for me when I saw the previews, and I have very little interest in seeing Blades of Glory. Semi-Pro? Forget it.

"You're my boy, Blue!"

Old School was great. Elf was better. I think for me though the novelty of Farrell has tapered off a little. I knew Talledega was a couch movie for me when I saw the previews, and I have very little interest in seeing Blades of Glory. Semi-Pro? Forget it.

I haven't seen Elf. Blades had some great lines and the treatment of figure skating was priceless.

Nights is a keeper. It's in my top 10 comedies of all time. Absolutely priceless. In a previous life I raced karts, sport cars (SCCA) and dirt oval stock cars. I used to really love NASCAR before they became the huge business. Nights brings back a lot of memories.

One night my fiancee came out of bed and asked me what the hell could be so funny... I had been watching and rewinding the Old School tranquilizer scene over and over again for quite a while. That scene is just fabulouslyt funny.

I think it's a few things that make his movies so funny for me.

Comedic timing (he ******* NAILS it)
Physical comedy (He's got that tall, doughy body that makes physical jokes that much more funny)
Good writing (I think it's pretty hard to write these types of movies and not have it come off poorly, see Sandler, Adam)
Goofy premises that lend themselves to NEW jokes (San Diego anchorman? Figure skating? Elf in NYC?)

And finally, he SELLS it. He WAS Ron Burgundy, he WAS Ricky Bobby and he WAS an Elf from the North Pole.

He's just 'one of those guys'... and there aren't many of them. He's able to be completely uninhibited and he seems to be very likeable. Bill Murray is another. I can watch either of those guys in anything - even if the writing isn't great and the rest of the actors are a bore. I didn't want to see "Stranger than Fiction" because it seemed like a romantic comedy - generally not my bag. But Mr. Ferrell made it a must see - great movie.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you think his movies are funny, you must have missed Stranger Than Fiction.

It annoys me to no end that this guy is a movie star.

I thought Stranger Than Fiction was okay. Reminded me a lot of The Truman Show, which I really enjoyed a lot. Funny how these two actors broke out of being type-cast as buffoons by doing similar films about two average guys who are oblivious to the rest of the world peeping in on their lives.

Top Bottom