What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Why are some threads locked for no reason?

Why was this thread locked?

Nobody is being argumentative or disrespectful in any way. It is a discussion of current events and I thought this section was for that type of thing.

In contrast,

This sort of thing goes on all the time, what gives?

Having been involved in watching over the sanity of this site some time ago, I can tell you the answer is usually in the number of deleted posts that non-moderators don't see. Better than even odds that the mods removed most of the offending comments before closing the thread.

Ok, I have been following and haven't seen anything derogatory posted.
Normally if I'm following something I will see it before deletion but I suppose its possible.
I've seen a few where I thought "WOW" I can't believe this is continuing.
Then something like this that makes no sense to me.

Usually there was an uncivil argument or flaming. The offending posts were removed and the thread locked since the discussion got out of control.

Toothpick

TACO HOUND
1. Threads are never locked for no reason. There is always a reason.

2. Moderators can not see every post in every thread at all times. That’s why we have a report button attached to every post in every thread.

I think the Boeing thread was locked because reports came out the plane was shot down. And well, from there the thread can't head in a good direction. I was reading the thread and was about to post when it got locked. Thought it was weird too and came to that conclusion.

Damn!
What gives?

Why was this shut down?

Ok, I have been following and haven't seen anything derogatory posted.
Normally if I'm following something I will see it before deletion but I suppose its possible.
I've seen a few where I thought "WOW" I can't believe this is continuing.
Then something like this that makes no sense to me.
A relatively new thread has been locked I wanted to comment about Gun related items not appearing on the main page. That has been locked. Is it the moderators who close threads

FarmerTan

George Bailey Fanboy
Damn!
What gives?

Why was this shut down?
My advice: do what my lovely War Department does, and blame me!

My advice: do what my lovely War Department does, and blame me!

Sorry but I cannot blame you for this.
I just don't understand.
Are we anticipating how conversation is going to progress now?
If someone becomes disrespectful, belligerent, or confrontational - I get it.
Does that mean we can no longer discuss things with a difference of opinion in a civilized manner anymore?
Its getting ridiculous.

Sorry but I cannot blame you for this.
I just don't understand.
Are we anticipating how conversation is going to progress now?
If someone becomes disrespectful, belligerent, or confrontational - I get it.
Does that mean we can no longer discuss things with a difference of opinion in a civilized manner anymore?
Its getting ridiculous.
I Agree.
This thread (see pic) Screenshot_20200111_215350_com.android.chrome.jpg was locked for no good reason that I can see other than some kind of pro gun agenda

Damn!
What gives?

Why was this shut down?
Damn!
What gives?

Why was this shut down?
Maybe having an opinion that doesn't coincide with the personal beliefs of the moderators isn't tolerated ?

Surely we can discuss this.
I understand there are two sides to everything.
I have seen SOOOOOO many threads get WAYYYYY more out of hand then this was even close to before getting shut down.
Maybe it is the Moderators that police that particular area.
Some consistency would be nice.

I have no problem with the expression of religion so long as you are not being preached to or someone is not trying to convert you.
Its a place for discussion, shaving or otherwise. If not so, there is no need for any other forum other than SHAVING.
If that's where we are heading there will be a lot less traffic I'm sure.