What's new

Why are Schick Injectors supposed to be so great?

pokkuhlag said:
That is not an injector, it's a GEM "G-bar". It uses GEM single edge razor blades. I bought one recently from a letterk on this forum.

Thanks for that. Is this g bar in current production or is it a vintage thing? How have you got on with it? It looks great and therefore probably expensive!

It is out of production and a vintage thing. I haven't got it yet, it's at my friend's place (USA vs Netherlands). I have tried the big brother GEM micromatic and I cutted myself to pieces with it ( only tried it once, so hard to judge. Not gonna try any time soon). But I've heard this one is more friendly and that's the reason why I bought it. I paid 15$ for it and it was a steal.

I have some RAD problems and I am starting to acquiring some injectors as well. All to find my holy grail of razors or maybe I just have some problems like other members here.

tjkirch said:
Interesting - can you expand on this at all? My brass injector wasn't in very good condition, and I had to bend it back into a normal shape. I'm wondering if the "bosses" were worn as well. (What's a boss in this context?)

I'm referring to the little metal studs that hold the edge of the blade in place. Also, if the safety bar is bent, you're likely going to have problems, If the head angle is off and you have to bend it at the neck of the razor (near where the head joins the handle, it shouldn't cause too many problems and you might try tweaking this as it will effect the head angle of the razor.

pokkuhlag said:
It is out of production and a vintage thing. I haven't got it yet, it's at my friend's place (USA vs Netherlands). I have tried the big brother GEM micromatic and I cutted myself to pieces with it ( only tried it once, so hard to judge. Not gonna try any time soon). But I've heard this one is more friendly and that's the reason why I bought it. I paid 15$ for it and it was a steal.

I have some RAD problems and I am starting to acquiring some injectors as well. All to find my holy grail of razors or maybe I just have some problems like other members here.

FYI, I have a bunch of GEMs (went on a spree and bought 4) I'm not a big fan of my open-comb micromatic, but like the flip-top one I have with the white plastic handle:

View attachment 1763

I think the big difference is the safety bar. I also have an Ever-Ready to try. Overall, these razors take some work to get the hang of - after a couple of weeks, I'm still not there. I prefer my injectors best and like them as much as any of the DE razors I own (Merkur classic, slant, fatboy, several SS and a Tech).

I've used the ones with the brass head and bakelite handles, the Nationwide adjustible and non-adjustible.

My experience is limited - of the ones I have, I like the one with the bakelite handle the best - just seems to work well for me. I have a Golden 500 en route and will likely pick up some of the "newer" models in the future.

As for the Nationwide razors, the non-adjustible I have is lousy - consistent with other's experience, it just won't get me BBS smooth. The adjustible is ok, but needs to be opened up almost all the way before I can get the level of smoothness I want - because of the blade guard, I will likely use this as a travel razor.

Suzuki said:
I'm referring to the little metal studs that hold the edge of the blade in place. Also, if the safety bar is bent, you're likely going to have problems, If the head angle is off and you have to bend it at the neck of the razor (near where the head joins the handle, it shouldn't cause too many problems and you might try tweaking this as it will effect the head angle of the razor.
I haven't noticed any damage to the bosses, but they're so small that they could be damaged without my knowing it. The rest of the razor was bent up, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I don't think the safety bar is bent - if it is, it's a minute bend. I've bent the neck around to change the head angle, and I had to bend the clip that holds the head together (the one that spins in a circular fashion). At this point, I'm assuming it's either damaged bosses causing strange exposure or a bad Schick blade.

I appear to have lucked out with my recently-acquired eBay Injector (E3): with drugstore Schick blades, it's a little marvel. Pretty aggressive, so a couple of nicks on the throat compared to a SS or Tech, but no razor burn.

The Gem 'G-Bars' are probably underrated, but a little tricksy: they won't cut you to ribbons as long as you're not daft, but they also take a bit of time to find the right angle. I suspect they absolutely come into their own with top-notch SE blades.

Hi

I would be interested in buying Ted Pella injector blades.
I would like to know if they deliver to Europe?

Thanks

I would be interested in buying Ted Pella injector blades. I would like to know if they deliver to Europe?

Yes, I believe so. When I ordered, they were actually slightly cheaper. $3.60 a pack for europe, v. $4.50 a pack for US market.

-Mo

Just tried a Pella Injector blade today in my Lady Eversharp. Ouch!!! I've never had so many weepers even when I first tried my Slant with a feather. They are wicked sharp, and I'll have to try it again, but it was one of my worst shaves ever. I ended up switching to my SS, and ended up with a very close shave that is still close now 8 hours later. I haven't tried real Schick blades, but have some on order, so I'll post a comparison when I get them. I don't think the Pella's are just Personnas, as I've tried them, and they don't cut me the way these did.

I've also used the Feather Pro Guards, cut down to fit the injector, and those are quite nice, although you feel the blade guard wires, which is a little "scritchy".

The Pellas get better with use, but I agree that the first shave can be troublesome.

I'm wondering if drawing them along a piece of cork or through some light cardboard would help smooth out the first shave - I think others do that with the feathers used in the feather straights.

Just tried a Pella Injector blade today in my Lady Eversharp. Ouch!!! I've never had so many weepers even when I first tried my Slant with a feather. They are wicked sharp, and I'll have to try it again, but it was one of my worst shaves ever. I ended up switching to my SS, and ended up with a very close shave that is still close now 8 hours later. I haven't tried real Schick blades, but have some on order, so I'll post a comparison when I get them. I don't think the Pella's are just Personnas, as I've tried them, and they don't cut me the way these did.

I've also used the Feather Pro Guards, cut down to fit the injector, and those are quite nice, although you feel the blade guard wires, which is a little "scritchy".

Thanks Chris, I will try that the next time I load up a Pella. The truth is it was a great shave, which was BBS for 8 hours and more, but just too messy. Even though weepers are just tiny cuts, and close up right away with a little alum, it's kind of horrifying to look at your face and think you just walked thru a plate glass door!

Top Bottom