What's new

Why are Schick Injectors supposed to be so great?

I am ambidextrous... excuse could still work ;)

ouch said:
I just got some from John, so I'll be doing the same.

As for SWMBO, for my last razor purchase, I told her it was a special "left handed" model, so I don't have to struggle and contort myself to use it.

I know. I'm grasping at straws here.

I just had my first shave with an injector today and I just couldn't seem to get close at all. I am using a fixed head NWC injector I just received in a trade, and used store bought rite-aid blades. (the pella blades are on back-order). I'm a little suspicious that it has to do with the blades or the way I loaded them. The key insert was fine, but the blade was only able to slide in half way, and no matter how much twisting or jiggling I did after that, I couldn't get it all the way in. After removing the key and injector cartridge, I gently pushed against a flat surface to slide the blade the rest of the way in. It looked like it was alligned perfectly, but the shave sucked. I had to finish up with the DE to get any kind of smooth feel. Additionally, the bottom section (w/ the safety bar) slides back and forth about a mm. Is that normal or is the razor bad?

Sounds like a bad razor to me :(

I keep trying to shave with a DE angle, 30 degrees or whatever, when I use the injector. When I do I don't get good results. When I remember to place the top of the razor straight flat against my skin things improve a lot. It seems like they shouldn't, but they do.

SLider said:
I just had my first shave with an injector today and I just couldn't seem to get close at all. I am using a fixed head NWC injector I just received in a trade, and used store bought rite-aid blades. (the pella blades are on back-order). I'm a little suspicious that it has to do with the blades or the way I loaded them. The key insert was fine, but the blade was only able to slide in half way, and no matter how much twisting or jiggling I did after that, I couldn't get it all the way in. After removing the key and injector cartridge, I gently pushed against a flat surface to slide the blade the rest of the way in. It looked like it was alligned perfectly, but the shave sucked. I had to finish up with the DE to get any kind of smooth feel. Additionally, the bottom section (w/ the safety bar) slides back and forth about a mm. Is that normal or is the razor bad?

Exact thing happened to me the first time. My Ted Pella will be used tomorrow in the injector.

Just a warning - After considerable discussion over on SMF, there has been a general conclusion that the Ted Pella blades are simply Personna, aka the exact same thing as the store brand blades from your local drug store. Just more to a pack, and cheaper.

Also, two or three thoughts about the bad shave experience. First, if the bottom part slides back and forth, I feel pretty comfortable saying you have a bad razor. Second, word seems to be that getting a close shave with an NWC injector is difficult. Third, if you had that much trouble loading the blade, and especially pushing the blade in without the key in place to hold the razor open, there is a very good chance the blade was dulled by rubbing against the little retaining pin as it slid in. This would not result in a good shave.

Do you have links to any threads re: the Pella blades?
I searched for discussions of them being Parsonna to no avail.

moses said:
Just a warning - After considerable discussion over on SMF, there has been a general conclusion that the Ted Pella blades are simply Personna, aka the exact same thing as the store brand blades from your local drug store. Just more to a pack, and cheaper.

Also, two or three thoughts about the bad shave experience. First, if the bottom part slides back and forth, I feel pretty comfortable saying you have a bad razor. Second, word seems to be that getting a close shave with an NWC injector is difficult. Third, if you had that much trouble loading the blade, and especially pushing the blade in without the key in place to hold the razor open, there is a very good chance the blade was dulled by rubbing against the little retaining pin as it slid in. This would not result in a good shave.

Look here.

The initial reviewer thought them to be much better. The responding comments from various experienced members put rather a damper on the exuberance of those, including me, who thought maybe we were onto another "dog's bollocks" situation.

Having both now, I certainly can't see any difference between TedPella and CVS. Have not done a complete shaving comparison, but They sure look the same, down to the finest detail of the bevel that I can see with unaided eye.

I loaded one of the Ted blades into my NWC injector this morning and it went in smooth and easy as silk compared to loading the CVS blades, which was encouraging.

Admittedly I did not use the same soap as my first injector shave, rather this time Nancy Boy, but I did not get any nicks and such which was also encouraging. I'm thinking this was more due to changing the blade to a different *whatever* because I have not worked on my injector technique between then and now.

The shave however, was only a double N-S pass and was an overall "Meh" in quality. I would have liked to have broken out my HD and finished the shave but I ran out of time before leaving for work. Ah well. =/

I'm nowhere near the point of clipping feather blades and using them in the injector, so the Ted's will do for now (provided my technique and quality of shaves inprove).

I have used the Pella blades in my G1 injector and thought they were at least as sharp as the Derby blades I usually use.

I have no frame of reference, as these are the only injector blades I've used, but am quite happy with them to the point where I'm not interested in hunting around for alternatives. Even if they are white label Personnas, they're a great deal at 20 for $4.50 and aren't as likely to have the same consistency issues as the NOS blades being sold by Nationwide.

I think its worth using these blades for a full shave, as opposed to a double N/S bass before writing them off. I actually had a colleague comment that I looked like I had a good shave (we were talking about shaving at the time) in the afternoon after using a Pella injector - often when I'm starting to get shadow, as I have thick, fast-growing facial hair.

As with any product, YMMV.

I've been using a Featherjector (so named for the use of cut-down Feather razor blades) now for several years and for me, the Shick Injector (w/feathers) gives the smoothest, easiest shave. Not necessarily the closest, I can do slightly (very slightly) better with my DE (also with Feather blades). But there are times when I want a real effortless smooth shave and I grab my Featherjector.

Compared to using a DE, there is almost NO effort in learning to shave with an Injector razor (IMO) and I think you'd be hard pressed to cut yourself even if you had advanced Parkinson's.

Cliff

Well, to clarify, I do not say that being the same as the CVS blades is altogether a bad thing. Those are actually a pretty decent blade, and I've gotten a number of good shaves from them. They just seem ever so slightly rough to me, and a little less sharp than say a feather.

moses said:
Well, to clarify, I do not say that being the same as the CVS blades is altogether a bad thing. Those are actually a pretty decent blade, and I've gotten a number of good shaves from them. They just seem ever so slightly rough to me, and a little less sharp than say a feather.

Sorry - didn't meant to come across as aggressive as my post reads.

I haven't used Feathers in my DE, so can't comapre - I use Derbys (which people claim arent' as sharp as the Feathers) in my DE and I think the Pella blades are at least as sharp as the Derbys. In any event, I think we can agree that they're good blades at a great price.

I also agree with Cliff that the injector is the easiest safety to use (IMHO anyhow) and is now my razor of choice for when time is of the essence. In fact, I'm going to keep one in my work shaving kit to replace the cartridge that's currently there.

Oh no, I did not think you were sounding aggressive. I just wanted to make sure it did not sound like I thought they were crappy blades. Although I do want to try the Schick ones, once I find a druggist that has them (maybe Duane Reade?).

I also agree that it is about the easiest safety I've tried. Very forgiving, and very easy to get the angle right.

I found the schick injector razors interesting. Using the same type of blade but different razors I got very differerent results.
The old brass 1940 style nicked and cut me up pretty good. After watching that old movie with Cary Grant shaving with one of these I just had to try it again, thinking it was just a new blade.
I got the same results and haven't touched that razor since.
I have however been using a M24 (M28 style) schick with amazing results. I have gotten some very excellent shaves using the same brand of blades. Have others found this to be true or is my old brass 40's razor bent or warped?

Glen

moses said:
Look here.

The initial reviewer thought them to be much better. The responding comments from various experienced members put rather a damper on the exuberance of those, including me, who thought maybe we were onto another "dog's bollocks" situation.

Having both now, I certainly can't see any difference between TedPella and CVS. Have not done a complete shaving comparison, but They sure look the same, down to the finest detail of the bevel that I can see with unaided eye.
All of them are most probably coming from the American Safety Razor Company:

http://www.asrco.com/PageView.aspx?NavKey=183&MarketID=3&RegionID=7

Cliff said:
Compared to using a DE, there is almost NO effort in learning to shave with an Injector razor (IMO) and I think you'd be hard pressed to cut yourself even if you had advanced Parkinson's.
Not quite -

gglockner said:
The old brass 1940 style nicked and cut me up pretty good. [...] Have others found this to be true or is my old brass 40's razor bent or warped?
I had exactly the same results. I picked up a 40's injector and some Schick blades. The blades are rough, and I got more nicks and razor burn than with any DE I've tried. :confused1 I'm assuming that the injector craze makes more sense if you have good equipment.

I really like the injectors, I have only been using them for a few months and have only used the Pella blades, which I like and think are at least as sharp as the Derby's I use in my DE.

Thus far, I have used a couple of the G and E brass head/bakelite handled models and both of the Nationwide Campus injectors.

For me, the injector is the quickest and easiest way to get a BBS shave. I think the shaving stroke is intuitive to anyone who has used a cartridge razor - more so than the stroke used with a DE. I also find that they are better against the grain - if I'm in a rush, I can get by with a N-S and S-N passs with some clean up. I would never attempt this with a DE.

Of the injectors that I have, the 1940's models are the ones I like the best (I need to try a later model and have a Golden 500 en route). I find them to be a litle more aggressive than the NC razors (which I like), but the handles are a bit short. You can get some burn and nicks if you lift the head too much - so it does take a few shaves to figure out the angle that works best.

One thing I have noticed is that some of the bosses on the safety bar can get worn (brass is softer than steel - duh!), which can change the angle of the blade - with negative results.

The NC razors are really a dissappointment and are an unfortunate "what could have been" story. First off, the quality of these in terms of materials/fit/finish is mediocre at best. The plating on the heads is obviously second rate and the safety bar on my non-ajustable is clearly bowed in the middle and the safety bar on the adjustible doesnt' always adjust straight and needs a little nudge to even out. In short, the NC razors are second rate, but I do like the blade guard feature of the adjustable, which gives me a decent shave when opened up all the way, so it will make a good travel razor. The non-adjustable (or at least the one I got) is crap and can't deliver anything close to a BBS shave.

Its sad to think that for another buck or two we could have had some really great razors here. It seems like NC wanted these razors to have a certain price point, so scrimped on materials/build quality (or possibly just had a lousy manufacturing partner).

Despite the NC debacle, I really like my injectors and think that they're worth trying. If you do get one and don't like it, the market for injectors is pretty good, so you shouldn't have much trouble selling or trading it.

Suzuki said:
One thing I have noticed is that some of the bosses on the safety bar can get worn (brass is softer than steel - duh!), which can change the angle of the blade - with negative results.
Interesting - can you expand on this at all? My brass injector wasn't in very good condition, and I had to bend it back into a normal shape. I'm wondering if the "bosses" were worn as well. (What's a boss in this context?)

View attachment 1752

After reading this thread I really want to experiment with an injector because I am currently using a m3 during the week but a DE at weekends and I am getting there but slowly. The transition from m3 to injector seems a lot easier given the angle issue already being taken care of and my question is what is the make/model of the injector in the picture? Also where am I likely to be able to buy one with blades? Bearing in mind I am in the UK. Thanks.

mactrack said:
View attachment 1752

After reading this thread I really want to experiment with an injector because I am currently using a m3 during the week but a DE at weekends and I am getting there but slowly. The transition from m3 to injector seems a lot easier given the angle issue already being taken care of and my question is what is the make/model of the injector in the picture? Also where am I likely to be able to buy one with blades? Bearing in mind I am in the UK. Thanks.

That is not an injector, it's a GEM "G-bar". It uses GEM single edge razor blades. I bought one recently from a letterk on this forum.

Top Bottom