What's new

Why am I getting these particular cuts so regularly?

Thanks. I used this Rockwell R1 for the first time and the Rockwell blade. The razor seemed to hold the blade tightly, but the blade seemed very thin.

View attachment 1269083

I have no experience with that razor or those blades, but I have never heard those blades be mentioned in the upper echelon of blades. I personally would recommend some other blades...I use Gillette Yellow, Astra Stainless Steel (blue), Nacet and Rapira Platinum Lux. That is what I have learned to work best for my skin.

My advice would include really assessing your lathering. It may be fun to work up a frothy lather in a bowl, but if it is not wet and slippery on your actual face, it is not going to do its job. I use MdC. Yes, it is pricey, but on a cost per shave it is not out of line ($74 for about two years worth for the way I use it...3-5 seconds of loading by swirling a wet brush on top of the puck, face lathering...one loading gives me more than enough for three passes). I am sure your Rockwell is a superb razor. I like mild razors and smooth blades, and my ATT CM1 with a blade like a GSB really fills the bill for me. Yes, it was pricey, but for me it is all about a smooth, close, no nicks, no weepers shave every day, not about experimenting or collecting.

Before you go down the path of trying other soaps, however, I would suggest you try a less frothy face lathering approach. I can get the same type of lather with Pre de Provence. As much as I love MdC, I do not believe it is magic or a silver bullet.

In short, a very wet and lubricious lather and three very slow and gentle passes with a very smooth blade, mindfully using as little pressure as possible, ought to get you where you want to be. Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendations and good advice.

+1- Yup, definitely looks like what happens when the blade edge presses into skin. It can happen anytime, and to anyone- at the beginning, middle or end of a stroke, if you manage to press the edge down. Just go easier and those should stop.

Yup. I have a mustache, so I don't have that issue, but I do occasionally cut myself on the chin (did that this morning, in fact). A split second of inattention...........

Top Bottom