What's new

WHY a STRAIGHT razor?

Such a sap. 😏
CBC46DFD-EB1D-4180-9491-77BF5D325755.jpeg

A shavette is a very capable shaving implement. It takes practice, like any form of straight razor. I have a quality shavette (Universal Lama Intera) and quite enjoy it.

But you've come to a supercar convention and asked if driving a Miata is "close to" driving a Bugatti... Well sure, I guess... Kind of... But not really.

Alright, all you SR “maniacs” out there (and I say that with all due respect 😔😆), out of the literally THOUSANDS of them, do you have any personal FAVORITE YouTube clips on how to use a SR? (asking for a “friend,” of course! 😉😁)

Thx, gents! 😎💈

A classic:

Lynn Abrams video is pretty decent too.
My brother… THANK YOU! 🙏🏼🥲

A PERFECT example of what I was looking for - short, to the point, less than TEN words spoken, and yet…, it’s ALL there 😲👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Honestly, had someone NOT recommended this, I would have stopped it after the first TEN seconds. The aesthetics (lighting, setting, etc.) are not exactly “top-notch,” but the KNOWLEDGE imparted = 💰💰💰

EVERYONE interested in SR shaving should see this brief clip FULL through, at least once. 👍🏼👌🏻👏🏼🤓

This one is my favorite:

Monster technique, in my opinion.
Wow, another BRILLIANT one! 😳👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Again…, short, to the point, minimalist.

MUST SEE watching for SR “virgins.”

My only gripe against BOTH videos?

They make it look so EASY.

They really need DISCLAIMERS, like - “Beware. Featured technique acquired through HOURS of practice. Proceed with patience and caution.” 🙄🤓

The secret is to take it SLOW at first. Don't even try to do the hard parts around the mouth and chin on your first attempts.

It doesn't take too long to get a feel for the way a sharp edge with very light pressure can just glide across well-lubricated skin.

A good soap mixed slightly wet to enhance slickness will help with that but obviously the key is blade control and a light touch.

We're a species of curious tool users. Otherwise we'd still be hunter-gathering.

Alright, all you SR “maniacs” out there (and I say that with all due respect 😔😆), out of the literally THOUSANDS of them, do you have any personal FAVORITE YouTube clips on how to use a SR? (asking for a “friend,” of course! 😉😁)

Thx, gents! 😎💈

Since you mentioned "maniacs of wet shaving" these qualify - NOT.

I did DEs, moved to SEs, then Lather Catchers, and Rolls Razors and I’m dangling my feet over the Straight Razor Rabbit Hole, so for me I guess it’s a natural devolution as I’m progressing down the razor evolutionary ladder. I like a challenge, and because they are there.

It's like traveling back in time when this whole modern paradigm of "planned technology obsolescence" was not a thing and tools were created to be utilitarian for the task at hand, created robust, long lasting for generations, unlike gimmicky multi blade, use and throw monstrosities today. It's this feeling of going back to one's root and being in control of one's destiny with your own efforts.

I was hoping that in the video the first guy was going to shave with the huge knife lol.

The knife would have probably worked ok. If you read the reviews on Amazon for the "Gillette Fusion Power Men's Razor Blades - 8 Refills" - some 45k ratings and top reviews are only rants and that pinch of how expensive and short lived those blades are even with alternate day shaves. Modern men are really missing out on a truly fantastic ritual by spending too much and getting bad shaves!

Top Bottom