What's new

WHY a STRAIGHT razor?

The knife would have probably worked ok. If you read the reviews on Amazon for the "Gillette Fusion Power Men's Razor Blades - 8 Refills" - some 45k ratings and top reviews are only rants and that pinch of how expensive and short lived those blades are even with alternate day shaves. Modern men are really missing out on a truly fantastic ritual by spending too much and getting bad shaves!

The upfront costs are much higher for DE/SE and Straights, but the shaves are much better, and in the long run, the costs are much higher to use disposables. Not to mention that disposables are a chore while shaving in a more traditional manner actually can be enjoyable.

For the first time since I started shaving in 1984, I no longer have any irritation from the blades. Cartridges were a nightmare, Double edges were much better but not perfect. Once I began to use more and more aggressive DE's the irritation got better but never went away completely. I have now done about 250 consecutive SR shaves and the results are amazing. My neck and jawline have never looked better in my adult life. I am truly happy about the the improvement in how I look, but the lack of the irritation is truly astounding.

My dermatologist told me when I was sixteen years old that I have extremely coarse and curly whiskers and the best thing that I can do is to keep my whiskers on my jaw and neck shaved very closely. He made no mention that using a cartridge would only compound the problem and for a lifetime it has been agonizing. Furthermore, every time I would sweat, salt would get into the sores it would burn and sting just to add insult to injury.

I could not be happier with the closeness achieved by a straight razor and of course, the lack of irritation.

On Sunday I skipped one day and on Monday I had two ingrown hairs that I had to use a dry boar brush to coax out. Today, four days later my face is back to looking blemish free. I do not care what happens, I will always shave with the straights.

Also, I shave after I shower and before I dress, so all of my shaves are done in the nude. Never worried about cutting anything but my face. I guess jimps on the tang and drying my hands before grabbing the blade really do pay off.

One major one for me - I sometimes like to shave in the NUDE. I know that even with a safety (DE) razor, I still face the risk of a substantial nick/cut should it slip from my hand.

But, with a STRAIGHT razor, I just keep imagining that with just ONE potential slip-up, it's an instant “sex change” down there (in the LONG history of straight razor shaving, it MUST have already happened to someone, no? 😧).
I don't know if I'm as worried about an "instant sex change" as much as I am an "instant tummy tuck"

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After watching my fair share of shaving videos on-line, I still have to ask, WHY would anyone use a STRAIGHT razor in this day and age?

I’ll admit, it does look COOL, but damn, as someone who’s a DE user, I also see the downsides.

One major one for me - I sometimes like to shave in the NUDE. I know that even with a safety (DE) razor, I still face the risk of a substantial nick/cut should it slip from my hand.

But, with a STRAIGHT razor, I just keep imagining that with just ONE potential slip-up, it's an instant “sex change” down there (in the LONG history of straight razor shaving, it MUST have already happened to someone, no? 😧).

Besides, you gotta get a strop, a strop handle, a sharpening stone, blade oil, etc., plus, there’s a long learning curve if you’re gonna get any good at wielding that thing.

Just trying to understand what the appeal is, from the other side, RESPECTFULLY. 🤓 🙏🏼
It goes way beyond the “cool” factor. It is as effective as any DE, more comfortable and safer. There is some maintenance to take care of but it doesn’t take up much time after the initial honing. As far as shaving nude goes, there is obvious danger in that. The first clip was bad enough and the second would be a disaster. Just pull on a pair of boxer shorts and you will hang just fine.

Top Bottom