What's new

Why 7-day sets?

...I keep seeing these german dovo seven days sets from Solingen but strangely they say "souvenir of berlin" which phrase turns me off a bit.
Unused original Solingen straight razor 7 Day - 7 City Schulze Germany kit | eBay

View attachment 1207854View attachment 1207854
These are not Dovo razors.
The brand is Schulze, a German cutlery manufacturer named for its founder, Paul Schulze.
The brand dates to at least the 19th century, if not earlier.
They were, at one time, an illustrious house.
They are still in business to-day, making knives, scissors, manicure tools, gardening tools, etc.
I believe they presently only make one model of straight razor (similar to J.A. Henckels), and its not anything special, retailing for a mere 89 Euros.
This set appears to date from the 1990's or later, as the country of manufacture is Germany, not West Germany.
That it was intended as a "souvenir" for visitors is evidenced by the days of the week being in English, not German.
Nevertheless, it's a very attractive set, as each blade is embellished with a major German city and its shield or crest, and the spines are beautifully decorated.
While I have no reason to believe the blades are of especially superior quality, they should amount to a serviceable set, if using the razors is your intention.
The box states "Souvenir d'Allemagne" which translates to "Souvenir of Germany," not Berlin.
Finally, it appears that they were manufactured in Solingen, the "Sheffield" of Germany, no guarantee of quality these days, but still, it's hopeful...

Last edited:
I have a Schulz razor stamped as Espe, the rear of the tang has a stamped caracture of Mr Schulz (you'll see the image in the link), so I'm pretty certain it's a Schulz. My first and well loved razor, I used it this morning for another fantastic shave. It holds a fantastic edge and has been a delight fro the last 22 years.

Espe2.jpg

Some of the Schulz razors can be seen here. Knowing the set is Schulz, I'd be happy to use them assuming the quality didn't deterioriate after the date mine was produced.

You can also get sets in 2, 3 and 4 configurations. I myself haven't grabbed any of these but have seriously thought about them. I see them less often then the 7 day sets. Until now I pick up a straight as it suits me, usually if its a good price. Just grabbed a Friodur, but am now thinking of making up set of orphan blades. I've ordered some Huon pine for Scales and I may get some Ebony to alternate wedges and scales. I even have my prototype shape.

Huon with a Blackheart Sassafras wedge
49965490503_2d8dfba9f5_b.jpg

I have a Schulz razor stamped as Espe, the rear of the tang has a stamped caracture of Mr Schulz (you'll see the image in the link), so I'm pretty certain it's a Schulz...

View attachment 1208287

...Some of the Schulz razors can be seen here. Knowing the set is Schulz, I'd be happy to use them assuming the quality didn't deterioriate after the date mine was produced.
It's Schulze, not Schulz! (and pronounced with two syllables).
Or perhaps you're thinking of Schultz, who didn't make razors but was a sergeant at Stalag 13.
ps. the link goes to Revisor, who once made their own razors but nowadays are only selling vintage Schulzes, and others.

It's Schulze, not Schulz! (and pronounced with two syllables).
Or perhaps you're thinking of Schultz, who didn't make razors but was a sergeant at Stalag 13.
ps. the link goes to Revisor, who once made their own razors but nowadays are only selling vintage Schulzes, and others.
Opps! A mate of mine at work was Mr Schulz and he became mad if you ever spelt it with a T. So I should never make a mistake with that name.

Top Bottom