What's new

Who's Your Grail?

Interesting thread. I can see there being two ways to take the term "Grail". One: you searched high and low, and finally found this razor. Two: you found a razor that seemingly lived up to your expectations and is providing the best shaves you've had.

I have had one of each definition in the SE world, and one of the second definition in the DE world.

SE: Personna floating head took me a while to find, so fits definition one. Definition two is my Colonial General in Stainless Steel and my Schick I-1. I get decent to good shaves from the PFH and excellent shaves from my General and I-1.

DE: The Mamba 70 fits definition two for me. I have gotten very good shaves from it. I was actually surprised as I had basically written off DEs when the NEW SC gave me very irritating shaves compared to my SEs and the prewar tech I have didn't seem to get that close for me. I still have more blade experimentation to do with the Mamba 70, but I've been impressed so far.

I'll probably revisit my other razors, but really the General in SS, I-1, and Mamba 70 are the only ones I truly "need". The rest are superfluous and don't get all that much use. Thanks for this exercise, as it has helped me analyze my razor collection much more objectively!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My grail is a Fatboy, with box, in mint condition. This was handed to me from my grandpa's brother when i started to shave in the mid 1970'ies.

For me it has to be the Blackland Blackbird. I bought one in brass right after they came out, and it checks so many of the boxes for me it’s unreal. Efficient, comfortable shaves for me time after time.

Was surprised to recently find a second grail to go with my first. The first is the CGL3 in bright copper. A beauty and stellar performer. The new grail is 106 years old. A dainty little razor that was manufactured for less than a year from 1912 to 1913 and which requires some effort to load blades. It's the Mark Cross, which I wrote about extensively in another thread. Even wrote new words to a Beach Boy's song, a bit of silliness inspired by my exuberance for this razor. Nice to be caught unawares from time to time.

Some years ago I started to shave with straight razors about 350 days a year, but 15 days a year I go back to my DE razors. Of those two really stand out; the R41 2011 that is a very aggressive, unpredictable and truly mean razor, but also very exciting to shave with.

However the best DE razor(s) I own is without competition the Merkur Vision. It shaves just as close as the R41 2013 but it does it without ever cutting you. It is the by far most user friendly DE razor I've ever come across.

vision2.jpg

Some years ago I started to shave with straight razors about 350 days a year, but 15 days a year I go back to my DE razors. Of those two really stand out; the R41 2011 that is a very aggressive, unpredictable and truly mean razor, but also very exciting to shave with.

However the best DE razor(s) I own is without competition the Merkur Vision. It shaves just as close as the R41 2013 but it does it without ever cutting you. It is the by far most user friendly DE razor I've ever come across.

View attachment 971038
That's a dumbbell.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Was surprised to recently find a second grail to go with my first. The first is the CGL3 in bright copper. A beauty and stellar performer. The new grail is 106 years old. A dainty little razor that was manufactured for less than a year from 1912 to 1913 and which requires some effort to load blades. It's the Mark Cross, which I wrote about extensively in another thread. Even wrote new words to a Beach Boy's song, a bit of silliness inspired by my exuberance for this razor. Nice to be caught unawares from time to time.
Copy/paste? Thanks in advance. Pics too. You don't strike need as the day ty razor type. [emoji16]

Yes, it's awesome to be totally surprised by a razor.

Copy/paste? Thanks in advance. Pics too. You don't strike need as the day ty razor type. [emoji16]

Yes, it's awesome to be totally surprised by a razor.

Hey James. Nice to see you. Here's the original thread with photos.

And my silly ditty sung to the tune of "Little Deuce Coupe" (sorry for the swipe at your grail, nothing personal, just worked):

Little Mark Cross
You don't know what I got
Little Mark Cross

Well I'm not braggin' babe so don't put me down
But I've got the best whisker scraper in town
Cause when I want a razor that’s aggressive and smooth
This one dusts the Wolfman and you know it’s the truth
She's my little Mark Cross
(My little Mark Cross)
(You don't know what I got)

Just a little Mark Cross with compression blade hold
And in her shadow all other razors must fold
She's triple silver plated over buck-solid brass
She’ll wipe away the whiskers on your face or your ***
(My little Mark Cross)

She's easy to maneuver cause she’s nimble and neat
She chatters like a squirrel so hold onto your seat
If that ain't enough to make you put down your straight
Back away from the keyboard cause your brain’s scrambled, mate

(My little Mark Cross)

(My little Mark Cross)

Thanks for the link my friend. I'll dig into in a while. See what has you giddy...

I also wanted to let you know, I took receipt of a 94Ti WR1 SB. I've used it about 5 or 6 times now. It's odd because Titanium material did not seem dampen the gap slightly like the WR2 head. There has been something that bugged me about it though. Something I didn't care for but couldn't really put my finger on...it hit me today. It feels just like an iKon Tech to me. It's feels "sharp". The tech has that lightweight head, papery feel. Papery...probably makes no sense. The 94Ti feels that way but more blade feel than the 94SS/IT you borrowed. It's also more efficient. I believe it's more efficient than both. The training wheels are small on this one.

Thanks for the link my friend. I'll dig into in a while. See what has you giddy...

I also wanted to let you know, I took receipt of a 94Ti WR1 SB. I've used it about 5 or 6 times now. It's odd because Titanium material did not seem dampen the gap slightly like the WR2 head. There has been something that bugged me about it though. Something I didn't care for but couldn't really put my finger on...it hit me today. It feels just like an iKon Tech to me. It's feels "sharp". The tech has that lightweight head, papery feel. Papery...probably makes no sense. The 94Ti feels that way but more blade feel than the 94SS/IT you borrowed. It's also more efficient. I believe it's more efficient than both. The training wheels are small on this one.
More efficient than an Ikon Tech? Now that's saying something. Not sure who would require such a beast. But I hear you. The charm of the .94SS was that it came so close to the iTech in efficiency while bringing incredible smoothness into the mix (while maintaining beautiful blade feel). From what you describe, I'd go for the SS over the Ti.

I find myself in the same position. Definitely prefer the SS in this instance.

I find myself in the same position. Definitely prefer the SS in this instance.

That .94Ti is rare. Bet you could get a pretty penny. The Wolfman has become such an object of fascination, even fetishism. If it were mine I'd sell while the value is high. Just the Ti. Keep the SS of course.

That .94Ti is rare. Bet you could get a pretty penny. The Wolfman has become such an object of fascination, even fetishism. If it were mine I'd sell while the value is high. Just the Ti. Keep the SS of course.
I generally avoid bending my fellow enthusiast over the secondary market table. That upsets my chi. When I decide it's time for them to move on, i generally find friends to give them good homes. [emoji16]

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I generally avoid bending my fellow enthusiast over the secondary market table. That upsets my chi. When I decide it's time for them to move on, i generally find friends to give them good homes. [emoji16]

I’ve not met a B&B’er more generous and honest than @loot!

Top Bottom