What's new

Who's Your Grail?

I'm going to have to have two, with a third closely behind.
1) Aristocrat Jr. smooth shaver that glides while efficiently reducing.
2) brass Colonial General, artist series wider blade shaves me closer with fewer strokes, but still provides tremendous enjoyment of the shaving experience.
3) British made Fat Handle Tech, it's a tad smoother & more efficient, with a touch more blade feel than my favorite US Tech, the Prewar Fat Handle with triangular slots.

It’s almost impossible to select even a smallish team of grail razors. So many gorgeous ones... But as always I will have to point to this :001_tt1:

CD208925-818F-494C-BABB-DF308266486F.jpeg

For me, its my Timeless. Smooth cap, solid safety bar, .95 gap and barberpole handle. Its a smooth, easy, 2-pass BBS shave every time.

I already voted for my SE General but I would like to add my DE Gillette NEW LC I had nickle plated. I love the way it looks and shaves.

Yaqi_Arko.JPG
Gillette NEW LC.JPG

C20D2B1D-FC48-4F56-BD77-14C29E2A26AE.jpeg
3E1E055A-A7F9-4E0D-9D1E-FC3ADD3F9C32.jpeg
C40E3039-7F39-4A04-9AA9-1E739DA5B000.jpeg
My grail razor the one I thought I’d never find is the Wilkinson Sword Flip Top is not the best shaver but it does a great job for me. I have a passion for the Wilkinson Swords as a young boy of 4/5 years old watching each morning as my father got up early and shaved with a Wilkinson before breakfast and then heading out to the bus stop to catch his bus to work. The brand will always have a special place for me.

R

romsitsa

Gen 2 Aristocrat. Sold in 1948-49 it still had the overengineered door assembly, combined with a unique, very narrow base plate. And it's plated like jewellery.

Adam

After aquiring 50 + vintage razors I've come to appreciate my NEW SC and my 06 Single Ring. If I could only keep two for shave purposes it would be them. I have many other beautiful old Gillette sets that I will keep (and still use) cause I luv old razors, but for pure shaving joy it those two.

Vintage razor Grails change over time. Many need that nice slim. Get the slim then it's the fat boy. Oops just fell down the rabbit hole. The rabbit hole has no bottom. I live in a rabbit hole along with my guns, fishing reels and razors. A friend is in the hole next to me .he collects lost dutchman books and such. Had to build a big addition to his house to store the library.

Vintage razor Grails change over time. Many need that nice slim. Get the slim then it's the fat boy. Oops just fell down the rabbit hole. The rabbit hole has no bottom. I live in a rabbit hole along with my guns, fishing reels and razors. A friend is in the hole next to me .he collects lost dutchman books and such. Had to build a big addition to his house to store the library.
Agree! I think I'm done with vintage unless I hsppen across a Gibbs 15 or 17 for cheap somewhere in the wild.

The one razor that was my first grail and my most memorable because it took me the longest to acquire was the WR1/WRH2 first time I seen that razor on SOTD photos I absolutely fell in love with the looks. I will admit that I’ve had better shaves from other less expensive razors but this was a case of love at first sight and for this reason I call this razor my grail.

Agree! I think I'm done with vintage unless I hsppen across a Gibbs 15 or 17 for cheap somewhere in the wild.

Agree as well, but mostly because in Southwestern and Central Ohio you are going to mostly find Old Types, Techs, and Super Speeds in antique venues. And I'm good to go as far as those are concerned. Oh, and the single edge stuff like Gems and Eveready brands...of which I have zero interest.

Best to leave stuff I already own to new enthusiasts to discover.

For me it's the Muhle R41. I guess a great BBS 3 pass shave that leaves my face feeling smoother than anything else I've ever experienced. No more razor burn for me!

I have 3 that I’d love to acquire a 2011 R41, a good condition English New Deluxe, and the razor I traded and now regret my Ikon OC Deluxe

This is a discussion for those who have been fortunate enough to have found a very special razor that stands apart from all others. If there are two or three that stand apart, that's fine. But, please, not 17. Just those razors that stand apart by a significant measure from everything else. Ideally just one. Essentially the focus here is on your Holy Grail of razors.

Please also include the whys and wherefores. What makes this (or these) razor(s) your grail?

One rule for this thread is criticism is not allowed. Everyone has a right to an opinion. If someone lists a razor that is stamped from cheap metal, costs next to nothing, and was garbage for you, he is not wrong. Perhaps unique but his opinion is every bit as valid as the guy who names the unobtainium razor we all lust for.

One final point. It's alright if your grail changes over time. So feel free to talk about former grails that have fallen out of favor as well as your current grail.

For me, the grail is my Charcoal Goods Level 3 SB. I've written about it elsewhere. In fact in several places. Feel free to skip the rest of this if you've heard me already. My reasons are that it's super efficient, super smooth and offers the kind of visceral blade feel I love. I have one razor that shaves closer (the Ikon Tech). But in terms of overall shave performance and satisfaction, this one stands apart.

View attachment 958353

I'll add a caveat that I borrowed a Wolfman WR1 .94 SB from another fellow in this community and I found the shave all but identical. Still I like the aesthetics of the CGL3 (in copper -- I elected copper cap, baseplate and Torpedo handle) over the Wolfman. Yes, you heard me right. Over the Wolfman. By a significant margin. The Wolfman is shinnier by far but, for me, the CGL3 is a work of art that stands alone. For this reason, the Wolfman is not my grail. However, I can say it would be if I'd never laid eyes or hands on the CG.

Special thanks to @pbrmhl and @loot for lending and turning me on to these razors! But for them, I'd remain grailless.
I have seven razors so far that I have acquired over the years including my father's typical ball end and SS. I'm still looking for that "grail" razor but for now I really like a Rockwell 2C for the smooth shaves I get and a recent buy - a '64 Slim.
Surprisingly I also like a '30s New long comb on occasion which is interesting as I'm not really fond of aggressive razors. But I'm still on the fence and everyone's YMMV.
Happy shaving.....

I have seven razors so far that I have acquired over the years including my father's typical ball end and SS. I'm still looking for that "grail" razor but for now I really like a Rockwell 2C for the smooth shaves I get and a recent buy - a '64 Slim.
Surprisingly I also like a '30s New long comb on occasion which is interesting as I'm not really fond of aggressive razors. But I'm still on the fence and everyone's YMMV.
Happy shaving.....
The New Long Comb isn't super aggressive, at least not to the best of my memory. I recall it as moderately aggressive. Am I off base?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
The New Long Comb isn't super aggressive, at least not to the best of my memory. I recall it as moderately aggressive. Am I off base?
I actually don’t consider the LC aggressive at all. It’s very smooth but very efficient. I particularly enjoy the #160 Goodwill.

Well maybe its just me or my technique. I tend to nick myself and get a little burn using the LC. I'll go with the LC this weekend and see how it goes.
Astra SP or Pol Super Iridium - what what you suggest?

Top Bottom