What's new

Who's using Pre-Shave Oil?

So being a newbie, I've never heard of using a pre-sahve oil before lather. I anyone using one? Toss our your recommendations and experience.

This is definitely a YMMV scenario, but for me:

PreShave Oil just is not good. I've tried AOS, RSC, Musgo, they all do not work...or I can't get them to work. Either way, I have no luck with preshave oils.

Shaving Oil, on the other hand, I do enjoy from time to time. Namely, PSO (Pacific Shaving Oil):

http://pacificshaving.com/index.php

I rub this on a wet face before lathering up (supposedly this can be used by itself) and it provides extra layer of protection, glide. Most importantly, it washes off with ease; whereas I can't wash off (face or hands actually) an AOS or Musgo at all.

If you use it before you lather than isn't that a pre-shave oil?

I guess my concern would be if you applying oil to your face then using a brush to apply lather, are you going to get all that oil on your brush? Does not seem like a good thing to do, as far as brush care is concerned.

dustind said:
If you use it before you lather than isn't that a pre-shave oil?

I guess my concern would be if you applying oil to your face then using a brush to apply lather, are you going to get all that oil on your brush? Does not seem like a good thing to do, as far as brush care is concerned.

The fact that I'm using it "prior to" a shave would classify it as a preshave product....yes. But the similarity of PSO to a PreShave Oil ends there. PSO will NOT gunk up your brush like PreShave Oil. There is a clear disctinction between the two, which will be easier for you to see if comparing ingredients:

PreShave Oils typically are comprised of "heavy" oils, such as olive & castor, whereas PSO (Pacific Shave Oil) is very different:

Hybrid Sunflower Oil, Tangerine Peel Oil, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Avocado Oil, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Bergamot Fruit Oil, MeadowFoam Seed Oil, Kukui Nut Oil

You may have to try them for yourself to notice a difference, I could tell you until I'm blue in the face (or in this case my fingers are numb) but you could still think I'm nuts.

Definetlly don't think your nuts. I appriciate the explaination, I did not know there was really a difference and that the PSO was more bruch friendly.

dustind said:
Definetlly don't think your nuts. I appriciate the explaination, I did not know there was really a difference and that the PSO was more bruch friendly.

take a look here.... now do you think I'm nuts? :lol:

anyway, I'm glad I could help.

I don't really see any benefit (at least for me) with pre-shave oil. I think I've tried 'em all at this point.

I do, however, use (fairly often, but not always) Pacific Shave Oil. It makes the best creams and soaps better by putting a few drops in the lather.

If I REALLY want smooth (meaning that I won't hardly feel whiskers when I go to bed that night), I use my Feather-loaded Slantbar and PSO with a good soap. It really makes any nicks or razorburn a guaranteed non-event.

There is also pre shave cream. I have used Pre shave oil but I prefer the cream. I find that it works for me but again this is just my opinion. I am sure the good folks here will chime in with their own take on pre shave oil and creams. It is a matter of preference.

Rafael

HlSheppard said:
I don't really see any benefit (at least for me) with pre-shave oil. I think I've tried 'em all at this point.

I do, however, use (fairly often, but not always) Pacific Shave Oil. It makes the best creams and soaps better by putting a few drops in the lather.

If I REALLY want smooth (meaning that I won't hardly feel whiskers when I go to bed that night), I use my Feather-loaded Slantbar and PSO with a good soap. It really makes any nicks or razorburn a guaranteed non-event.

Nicks and razor burn is what I don't want. I've also used the practice of hot water but not washing my face before a shave so that you had some natural oils on your skin. But, having learned how to shave from watching my grandfather use an electric Nerelco I'm probably totally wrong on that.

To be fair, I should probably clarify a bit. NORMALLY nicks or razor burn are never an issue.

I don't want you to think that's all there is to look forward to...:sad:

While you may have some initial "learning curve" the end result can be spectacular!

dustind,

You're on the right track with the hot water and no soap to leave more oils in your skin prior to shaving. You could also try a face wash rather than a bath bar, as they tend to dry out the skin.

I don't like any oils in my shaving routine--though I have not used PSO--as they tend to gunk up my razor and brush.

I have used Proraso pre/post as a pre shave application on occasion with pretty decent results--it helps a lot to use a warm wash clothe after applying the Proraso to help it absorb into the skin--Kyle's tip.

They "gunking up" is exactly what I would think would happen. I need to look at the Poraso, not familier with it's contents.

For the record, guys: I have never (repeat NEVER) had oil gunk up a brush.

PSO is (IMHO) the best of the lot. However, even the worst have never done my brushes or razors any harm whatsoever. Soap cuts oil. Shaving cream and soap is still... soap.

Try it/use it or don't - but don't let this old wives tale be a deciding factor.

Has anyone here tried T&H UC oil? I remember hearing somewhere that it was very light - similar to PSO. Also, any suggestions on where to buy PSO? I know you can get it from the website, but it would be especially great if Charles or someone carried it, so I could combine with other goodies.

moses said:
Has anyone here tried T&H UC oil? I remember hearing somewhere that it was very light - similar to PSO. Also, any suggestions on where to buy PSO? I know you can get it from the website, but it would be especially great if Charles or someone carried it, so I could combine with other goodies.

I'm not familiar with NY, but are you near here:

New York
II K H
458 W. 17th Street
New York, NY 10011

I agree with you take on it, hence my original question of what folks are using. Seems that I'm hearing concistantly that PSO is the recomendation, so I'll probably give it a try.

Hello Moses,

Charles at www.qedusa.com does carry PSO. I routinely order several bottles at a time from him.

I agree with Howard, PSO is the best of the lot when it comes to shave oils.

No adverse effects on the bristles, blade or lather. Zero. I have been using a few drops of PSO before each pass for almost two years now. I have tried the pre-shave oils and other shave oils. In my personal opinion, none can compare with PSO. No razor irritation since I have been using PSO. Zero.

Keep in mind: pre-shave oil is not the same as a shave oil. PSO is a shave oil. Even though it is called a shave oil, it is not at all greasy or oily and does not leave any oily residue anywhere, brush, blade, mug, bowl, sink or beard.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
PSO - Won't Shave Without It

Coche_y_bondhu,

Just check qedusa.com and I could not find PSO on the site. But then it looks like they are out of a number of things.

Top Bottom