What's new

Who's using Pre-Shave Oil?

mrob said:
dustind,

You're on the right track with the hot water and no soap to leave more oils in your skin prior to shaving. You could also try a face wash rather than a bath bar, as they tend to dry out the skin.

I didn't see this and just started a new thread. :rolleyes:

I washed my face really well this morning with a bath soap, and found it took all the natural oils off my face. Then when I shaved, the razor kept sticking/gripping to the skin and I couldn't get a nice smooth glide.

I'm going to stick with just using hot water on my face before shaving, I seem to get a far smoother shave that way.

Iwan :smile:

Dustind,

Better to call Charles directly at QED. His site is badly in need of overhaul and he is aware of it. (401) 433-4021.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

I've only ever tried American Crew's pre-shave oil. I only use it if I'm going to shave without showering first, like before going out to dinner, and time is a factor.

It seems to work OK. Not as good as right out of the shower, but better than just lather. If I didn't have it already, I probably wouldn't run out and get any. FWIW, it seems to do more for me than proraso's pre-shave cream, but without the neato cooling effect.

Also, FWIW, its supposed to massaged into the beard. By the time I'm ready to lather, it's pretty much soaked in and I can't imagine it gunking a brush. Just to be on the safe side, I use my boar brush when using pre-shave oil.

Orest

I've used various shave oils (alone and in conjunction with lather) and don't find them very helpful, so didn't bother replacing them.

One think I have started doing when buffing when I'm using glycerine soaps is to run a moist finger over the soap and then just coat the area I'm shaving to give it a little more slip for the final clean up.

Top Bottom