What's new

who's using ILR stone

My apologies! I originally just wanted to search for threads with IRL stone in it but unintentionally ended up starting a thread. I purchased an Imperia La Roccia stone on ebay from powertoolsnow on ebay (100% rating) and was wondering if anyone else had purchased the stone and what they thought of it. I just sharpened with it and I was impressed with the edge. I just finished on plain water as I had seen in a youtube video and it appears to work quite well, getting very sticky unlike any stone I've used before. Just looking for others opinions.

BTW...I then tried deleting the thread and couldn't figure that out. Can you delete a thread you started?

Not sure about deleting a thread, but the stone has been discussed here plenty of times. I tested a couple and they produce pretty decent edges but not quite as good as the "top-tier" stones for me. YMMV.

I have had an ILR for a while now, not too sure about it due to mixed reviews online. I usually finish with a Naniwa 12000 but at times I try the ILR after. I wish I could be more informative but I have yet to make up my mind if I get any benefit over the Naniwa 12.

The one I have is ok. It finishes. It's unremarkable though. I have a load of other options that perform better and faster. Not trying to be cynical though. But I haven't used it in years.

One of the ones I've not tried unfortunately. It got lumped in with a miscellany of hones I doubted were worth my time.

Was the third or forth "razor Hone" to come out in quick succession several years back. Id noticed a pattern consistent with most of them where the source was a place that was known for mining paving stones and the stone instantly had dozens of rave reviews from guys who had never said a word about honing before, some of whom admitted they were given the hone for free to post a positive review. As I recall it was $100-200+ too. Not exactly cheap enough to want to be a guinea pig.

Now I may well be misjudging it because of the company it kept... but I've not had any one I know is an experienced honer tell me it's worth bothering with.

One of the ones I've not tried unfortunately. It got lumped in with a miscellany of hones I doubted were worth my time.

Was the third or forth "razor Hone" to come out in quick succession several years back. Id noticed a pattern consistent with most of them where the source was a place that was known for mining paving stones and the stone instantly had dozens of rave reviews from guys who had never said a word about honing before, some of whom admitted they were given the hone for free to post a positive review. As I recall it was $100-200+ too. Not exactly cheap enough to want to be a guinea pig.

Now I may well be misjudging it because of the company it kept... but I've not had any one I know is an experienced honer tell me it's worth bothering with.
It might have been expensive in the past, but these now sell cheap from the retailer. I think a 2*8 is under $70USD and they have a 2*6 option as well.

To the OP:
I don't have any experience with these, but from my readings on this forum they are equivalent to C12K in quality. YMMV
Nothing wrong with giving it a try if you got it for cheap

Yeah, they all kind of run together. I probably was getting it confused with one of the other ones. At $70, it's more reasonable, but I still haven't given it a try.

My apologies! I originally just wanted to search for threads with IRL stone in it but unintentionally ended up starting a thread. I purchased an Imperia La Roccia stone on ebay from powertoolsnow on ebay (100% rating) and was wondering if anyone else had purchased the stone and what they thought of it. I just sharpened with it and I was impressed with the edge. I just finished on plain water as I had seen in a youtube video and it appears to work quite well, getting very sticky unlike any stone I've used before. Just looking for others opinions.

BTW...I then tried deleting the thread and couldn't figure that out. Can you delete a thread you started?

I use extremely little running water.
Any less and it would be dripping water.

After it gets sticky, I put some dish washing detergent on the stone
to unstick it and I keep going until the stickiness begins to return.

I like it.

What is 'The ILR Stone'? I'm being a bit facicias as the ILR is a nateral stone, so there is very little quality control between specimens. A bit like talking about 'The Jnat' when only 1% of the mined stones were razor quality.

Check out Doctor 👨🏻‍🔬 matts videos on YouTube. He has his own routine of using them which includes changing the wooder and stropping in between

What is 'The ILR Stone'? I'm being a bit facicias as the ILR is a nateral stone, so there is very little quality control between specimens. A bit like talking about 'The Jnat' when only 1% of the mined stones were razor quality.
Imperia La Roccia

I have had an ILR for a while now, not too sure about it due to mixed reviews online. I usually finish with a Naniwa 12000 but at times I try the ILR after. I wish I could be more informative but I have yet to make up my mind if I get any benefit over the Naniwa 12.
The Naniwa’s I swear were made specifically for us Straight Razor Enthusiast

When i went to purchase an ILR the other day, i found two claims. Can anyone confirm or deny it? Im not too confident and gonna wait on the ILR for now till i know more, seems the price has jumped for standard and premium, they even have doctor matts video in the description which to me feels fishy. If anyone can help with actual facts please do

Ebay description
What sets our "PREMIUM" hones apart from our "STANDARD" hones":

If you're familiar with the differences between Thuringian hones and Escher hones, then, this will make sense.

All Escher hones are Thuringian. However, not all Thuringians are Eschers. Escher picked out the very best Thuringian slate and made it into hones. We have basically done the same with our premium hones. We receive bulk shipments of slate and test each slab to insure it's suitable for honing razors. Once we've determined that it's good and we've cut it into hones, we grade it. Some of the cut hones may still have inclusions or there's too much difference in aggregate size. Those get thrown away. Most will have slight layering; and those end up being our standard hones. A small percentage out of every slab will be pristine. Those end up as premium hones.

Our standard hones have their edges beveled (with greater attention given to the honing side) and finished to 400 grit.

Our premium hones also have their edges beveled (again, greater attention to the honing side) and hand-finished to 1000 grit. The hone is then individually razor-tested. Meaning, we actually place blade to hone and test it. The accompanying slurry stone also has its edges beveled. Premium hones are much more labor intensive to produce. Thus, the higher price. A larger slurry stone is also provided.

Comes in a handsome wood gift/storage box.

When i went to purchase an ILR the other day, i found two claims. Can anyone confirm or deny it? Im not too confident and gonna wait on the ILR for now till i know more, seems the price has jumped for standard and premium, they even have doctor matts video in the description which to me feels fishy. If anyone can help with actual facts please do

Ebay description

If you're familiar with the differences between Thuringian hones and Escher hones, then, this will make sense.

All Escher hones are Thuringian. However, not all Thuringians are Eschers. Escher picked out the very best Thuringian slate and made it into hones. We have basically done the same with our premium hones. We receive bulk shipments of slate and test each slab to insure it's suitable for honing razors. Once we've determined that it's good and we've cut it into hones, we grade it. Some of the cut hones may still have inclusions or there's too much difference in aggregate size. Those get thrown away. Most will have slight layering; and those end up being our standard hones. A small percentage out of every slab will be pristine. Those end up as premium hones.

Our standard hones have their edges beveled (with greater attention given to the honing side) and finished to 400 grit.

Our premium hones also have their edges beveled (again, greater attention to the honing side) and hand-finished to 1000 grit. The hone is then individually razor-tested. Meaning, we actually place blade to hone and test it. The accompanying slurry stone also has its edges beveled. Premium hones are much more labor intensive to produce. Thus, the higher price. A larger slurry stone is also provided.

I would take anything they say with a grain of salt-- nice how they throw Escher's name in there as if there's any connection.

I bought mine about a year ago. I don't recall how they were advertising it but what you posted sounds familiar. At the time I think the Premium was larger than the Standard. They were also graded as Fine and Ultrafine. I got the standard ultrafine.

It wasn't very flat, I'll say that. In fact the unfinished side was flatter than the finished side. I think I finished mine to 600.

Mine's capable of acceptable edges. Comfortable seems to come quicker than keen though. I gave up on the vaunted youtube advice alluded to above and just focused on trying to max out the edge. You may want to experiment with soapy water or oil, both work better for me than the trickling water method. I didn't find slurry to do anything positive for the edge either.

I don't use mine much anymore except occasionally as a step between 8k and trans ark although sometimes I'll finish a razor on it for the heck of it.

@Darth Scandalous that is literally how I would use my ILR originally, between an 8k and a Ark (in my case a black). I only tried shaving off it once or twice.

I’ve since replaced it with a Hard (not True Hard) Ark in my progression, so haven’t used it in a while. I guess it could be a finisher, but I like a True Hard (or Black or Trans) Ark better.

Thank you for the information you provided and your experience with the stone, i dont think im gonna even waste time and money on ILR. I appreciate the help.

Ebay description

Yeah he just did a little deal with them so they get more mass appeal from his viewers, you can also get a coupon code from him I think it’s Dr. Matt 357

Top Bottom