What's new

Who's Using a Mid-Grit Natural Hone?

I've always been after a two-step approach, which sort of precludes a middle-range stone. Soft Ark for bevels and translucent or black Ark for the finish. One side of the soft Ark can be smoothed, taking it towards the middle, and one side of the translucent or black Ark can be kept freshly lapped, again, taking it towards the middle.

Like Brooksie, I know that what I would ultimately want from a middle-range stone is a stone that can do everything. Two-sided hard or true hard Arkansas perhaps? Lily white Washita? Or maybe a BBW? Don't think a Hindostan would really fit in with a Jnat progression.

Speaking of arks....the bottom one is the one that will get me from the grey one to the SB on the right. Slowly, but surely.

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Nice looking Arks Krodor. That SB on the right looks familiar, I seem to remember a movie where the apes were sitting with a straight razor looking at a large black monolith... So that's what it taught us, how to shave.

BTW, what's the wooden thing they're sitting on? Just curious, it seems familiar too.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:
I have used a number of natural stones that are out there in the middle.
Some slate from Home Depot (was a floor tile). It's not consistent enough for me, but it was in the 5-6K range.
Some other slate, in the same range.
A Lily White Washita, cuts fast when freshly lapped, leaves a 7K edge when smoothed.
Lizard Stone in the 7K range.
Oil Shale in the 8K range (quite smooth edges).
Petrified Wood in the 8K range (and quite smooth, too).
I'm sure I have more...
I have Soft, Hard and Black Arkansas stones that will be used before the Translucent Black, so I guess they must all qualify. I haven't used any of them yet, since they aren't flat enough, but they will be used :).

Top Bottom