What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

When I posted this razor on "another site" the volume of info the guys had was staggering. The history of these razors is very fascinating that the majority it seems were made by French prisoners.
The consensus was also that this was one if the best examples and should be a museum type piece. Not sure how true that is but it was flattering to hear.
most of the pieces I've seen are quite rough. And as I've said mine has a proven history behind it.

When I posted this razor on "another site" the volume of info the guys had was staggering. The history of these razors is very fascinating that the majority it seems were made by French prisoners. [snip]

Made by French prisoners like for their own use, or made by French prisoners like licence plates are made in the some parts of the US?

Legion

Staff member
French prisons sound like a dangerous place. "Hmmm, what can we have them make? I know, razors!"

Not sure these are all that old but they are the oldest in my stash. I have this Wade-Butcher
$Wade-Butcher.jpg
and this Johan Engstrom Frame Back.
$EngstromRazor.jpg
I've honed both and they shave very well.

hmmmmmmm....thinking I could win this by rummaging through my sons rock collection and pulling out a chunk of obsidian to shave with. While not the oldest razor certainly among the oldest material.

So many beautiful blades have been shown, I need to get out looking around here for old razors to tinker with.

George Wostenholm wedge. 1797-1823. It does not have the "and sons", which came later. The original scales were not salvageable. These are canvas micarta. The blade is pitted, but the edge is fine. Gives a smooth BBS.
$WOSTENHOLM CANVAS 003.JPG

Joseph Elliot Mid to Early 1800s, just finished honing an hour ago after a recent restore, now I know why I put in all the practice, unbelievable shave, I had a two day growth and first pass took the beard down to almost BBS, is there such a thing as a "stealth razor" I never heard a thing,
$photo.jpg

adding to this lovely thread .. because im in-love with these beautiful old razors ..and would like to keep it going ..

unknown French razor , shape of blade and flat dip at end by toe are traits of revolutionary period but without maker mark there is no way of telling ..

second is a Shemel Acier Fondu +/- around 1790 due to old Sheffield business directory's as I was shown ..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

gonna add another one to this thread .. still trying to find a date .. only HANCOCK in razor archives is Samuel and his business was 1830-? , i know this razor pre dates that and found another razor maker of Joseph Hancock who helped improve silver steel and cast steel around 1770 , but cant find anything as to how long he produced razors

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

and gonna add another .. this one is set in tortoise shell scales
KIPPAX , probably ROBERT KIPPAX , he died in 1775 but his son joined up with NORWELL leading to the mark NORWELL & KIPPAX( or other way around) , but I have read where the son never used KIPPAX as a mark but have also read that NORWELL & KIPPAX both made runs of razor just using there last names so who knows ..lol.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are a few.

First, a razor marked LISBON. This is the oldest documented/researched razor I have. LISBON was the mark of Thomas Warburton, who was freed from apprenticeship in 1775. However, the top of the spine on this one is marked William Warburton (his father). If my research is correct, this William was freed in 1748, so the date range of this razor would be 1748-1774 (or possibly earlier; William does not appear in the 1774 Sheffield directory). (And the razor is pictured on top of a first edition copy of the 1787 Gales & Martin directory)

$DSC_1626.jpg

Here is a razor that is most likely of the same age, but I do not have the documentation to support a narrow date range as I have not yet identified the maker. This razor came in a shagreen etui complete with other implements including smaller knives and a corkscrew.

$DSC_1624.jpg

$DSC_1549.jpg

Here are a few.

First, a razor marked LISBON. This is the oldest documented/researched razor I have. LISBON was the mark of Thomas Warburton, who was freed from apprenticeship in 1775. However, the top of the spine on this one is marked William Warburton (his father). If my research is correct, this William was freed in 1748, so the date range of this razor would be 1748-1774 (or possibly earlier; William does not appear in the 1774 Sheffield directory). (And the razor is pictured on top of a first edition copy of the 1787 Gales & Martin directory)

View attachment 547729

Here is a razor that is most likely of the same age, but I do not have the documentation to support a narrow date range as I have not yet identified the maker. This razor came in a shagreen etui complete with other implements including smaller knives and a corkscrew.

View attachment 547732

View attachment 547733
both are awesome but that bottom one takes the cake in that kit like that !!!

Here are a few.

View attachment 547729

View attachment 547732

View attachment 547733

Beautiful! A shagreen cased razor like that is on my list. Amazing

Geeze.... Thanks guys... I thought I had an old one with my Alexis Witte. But compared to yours, at somewhere between 1880 and 1930, it's still a young'un.
$_MG_0014-3-2.jpg

Great answer, Mark.

But would anyone really use a 200 year old gun regularly? I think there's a difference between being able to use something and being able to use it daily.

Using an ancient gun must be a kick.

My wife and I used to shoot a lot of black powder. (I got tired of spending all the rest of the day cleaning all the guns, something she never wanted to learn how to do.) Anyway if we took those to our local gun range we would always draw a crowd, even though none of these were true vintage weapons. Most of the folks we would meet had never seen a black powder gun fired.

Old razor p0rn! After a light restore and rescale. The grind on this is really quite nice. The tang sides are rounded and the hollowed point on a razor this old is different. I also like the way it hooks up at the toe.
$20150228_214721.jpg
Joseph Hives

Apprenticed to Joseph Roberts, Garden Street (Gales & Martin’s 1787).

Freed in 1803.

Probably joined by younger brothers George and William.

Listed three apprentices. None finished their turn, last taken in 1806.

Most likely out of business by 1811 (Holden’s London & Country directory)

Top Bottom