What's new

Who's interested in participating in an online .22LR Bullseye Pistol League?

Are you interested in joining an online bullseye league for B&B members?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every Thursday evening I shoot in my club's Bullseye Pistol League. It's: fun, humbling at times, improves my basic skills, helps me acquire and practice more advanced skills, show's how I'm improving, and points out what I need to improve.

I checked B&B and didn't see this being done. If enough are interested I'm volunteering to put the league together and tabulate the scores. I'll also supply a common set of rules/procedures, a link to a free phone app that will time/score the individual stages as well as calculate a session's aggregate score, and targets to keep things as consistent as possible.

The greater diameter of a centerfire round gives shooters with centerfire pistols a big advantage over .22LR shooters. If a centerfire B&B member wants to manage a similar program for centerfire and/or .45 pistol shooters I will share links to target templates, the scoring app, etc. with them.

This .22 online Bullseye League is for fun and is open to experienced and newbie bullseye shooters. New shooters who are no longer comfortable with the classic one-hand bullseye stance and would prefer to shoot two-handed are welcome. Shooters who want to improve their accuracy with their Weaver, Chapman, or Isosceles stances are welcome. Shooters who need to shoot from a seated or mechanically assisted stance are also welcome.

I'm thinking of a simple, 30-round session consisting of: 10 shots - slow fire, 5 shots - timed fire done twice, and 5 shots - rapid fire done twice. One entry per person per week. I'll do my best to post the week's scores on Sunday evening.

If you are interested please post a reply to this thread so I can add you to the list. Suggestions are welcome. Have a question... post a reply to this thread.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Man this sounds like fun. Been saving most of my ammo and not shooting much since ammo was hard to come by since covid. However, .22 LR is the one reserves I have in stock by the thousands. I was storing .22 for years before I even owned a .22! :)

So I guess a competition .22 pistol is needed like a buckmark or something? I have a Ruger 10/22 and a couple of Ruger Wranglers that's it. Got a picture of your pistol @Bob L.?

I think I would need a MKII and some Lasik first? :)

Man this sounds like fun. Been saving most of my ammo and not shooting much since ammo was hard to come by since covid. However, .22 LR is the one reserves I have in stock by the thousands. I was storing .22 for years before I even owned a .22! :)

So I guess a competition .22 pistol is needed like a buckmark or something? I have a Ruger 10/22 and a couple of Ruger Wranglers that's it. Got a picture of your pistol @Bob L.?

I think I would need a MKII and some Lasik first? :)
I use a Browning Buckmark pistol with a Venom Vortex reflex sight. Old eyes really appreciate red dot sights. Most bullseye shooters use a pistol with a 5" barrel. Some use pistols with longer barrels.

Use the .22 you have. If you find you enjoy this addiction I'll happily enable you with suggestions.

My first bullseye pistol in the mid-seventies was a Ruger single action revolver. It was a tack driver. It was also been used by countless nieces, nephews and cousins over the years. When I started up bullseye shooting again this winter I bought the Buckmark. When I shoot in my league I see: S&W 41s: S&W Victories; Ruger Mark IIs, IIIs, and IVs; Hämmerli models; High Standards; and Browning Buckmarks. Funny thing... the cost of the pistol doesn't seem to be the deciding factor in the scores. Any well made pistol that's designed to handle years of continual use seems to do well for it's shooter. As my bullseye mentor told me, good modern pistols are usually better than the shooters using them.

I wanted a pistol that mirrored the grip of a 1911 .45 and my Beeman target pistol. I didn't want to have to spend more money modifying grips. I ended up with a 2008, new in the box, Browning Buckmark target pistol. The only thing I did in terms of customization was installing a Venom Vortex reflex sight.

My main goal for this league is make Lasik totally unnecessary. We are doing this to improve our individual skills/scores. :001_smileThis is supposed to be fun!
Buckmark Pro Target with Venom Sight.jpg

That's a good looking pistol. Didn't @BigFoot just get him a .22 shooter?
Thanks, I'm enjoying the Buckmark.

You said you had a Ruger Wrangler. That's not a target pistol. You don't have moveable sights. Here's a work around.

Set yourself up for firing at 50'. This means:
  1. Bench rest/sand bag your pistol and aim at a 1" target circle centered on a big piece of paper. ASMS (aim small miss small) The circle and the leveled barrel need to be on the same horizontal plane. (Close is good enough.)
  2. Fire 5 slow, super controlled, super deliberate shots at that circle using the bag or rest to keep the pistol steady. Squeeze the shot off so slow that you don't know when the trigger breaks/hammer falls.
  3. Hopefully three or more of your rounds are nicely grouped somewhere on the target.
  4. If not, try again with a fresh target.
If, your Wrangler is scattering shots all over the paper during steps 1 through 3. Clean the barrel with a brush and patches. Make sure your grips are tight. Then fire at least 10 rounds down range to make your barrel happy. You are ready to repeat steps 1 through 3. If you get a 2" or smaller group move to the next section.
  • Let's say the center of your group's point of impact is 3" low and 2" to the left.
  • This means you need to move your point of aim up 3" and 2" to the right from the center of that 2" circle.
Since the Wrangler doesn't have moveable sights you need to adjust your point of aim. Here's how.
  1. Glue a small circle, one just big enough to aim at, onto each of your bullseye targets. In this example, I'd put the center of that glued on circle 3" higher and 2" to the right of the target's "official" center.
  2. When shooting, aim for the center of the glued circle.
  3. Score the target using the official rules. If you land shots on the glued circle and they are close to a line but you can't tell if you are touching it because you glued a piece of paper on top of the target... Give yourself the extra point. This league is for fun!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not anything serious. Classic one-handed bullseye shooting will be a challenge for sure.

Not anything serious. Classic one-handed bullseye shooting will be a challenge for sure.
I hear you. I just started Bullseye again after having stopped in the late 70s. I'm shooting for score two-handed right now and practicing one-handed. I'll probably shoot this league one-handed. The next club league session starts up in two or three weeks. I hope I'm steady enough to go to one-handed there too.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m confused - but maybe I’ve answered my own question just by thinking this through -

So we go to our preferred range, set up the targets and do the shooting per the rules. And come back here to post our scores. Based on the honor system?

I’m confused - but maybe I’ve answered my own question just by thinking this through -

So we go to our preferred range, set up the targets and do the shooting per the rules. And come back here to post our scores. Based on the honor system?
You got it. I'll make the B2 and B3 match targets downloadable and we all shoot at 50'. If someone prefers to shoot at a different distance they will need to buy the Bullseye match targets made for that distance. Longer distance means a bigger target. A twenty yard bullseye match target is a bit bigger than a fifty foot bullseye match target. Fifty yard bullseye match targets are a lot bigger. I'll post the match procedures, targets, and some background information early next week. I'd like to start this off on Monday, March 21st.

I'm just about done with the materials needed to start us off. Would you like to have a dry run this week or should we just start capturing our scores for the 10-week session? Please reply to this note with your thoughts to make it easy on me.

Either way, I'll post all of the materials for the first 10-week session on Monday. If, it is all right with those of you who have already signed up, we'll accept late arrivals as they come in. (To be eligible for bragging rights late arrivals have to shoot a full set of 30 targets. I'll still add their targets into the spreadsheet to give them their averages, etc...)

Just to be fair... I'm headed out for a practice session tomorrow morning. :kyle1: Got the hat but no longer have the horse...

Top Bottom