What's new

WhollyKaw (Tallow Version) Optimization Results

Summary

• WhollyKaw (WK) shaving soap, the unscented tallow version, was optimized with my standard process of using an initially dry synthetic-hair brush and bowl lathering precise amounts that were varied from shave to shave in finding the best combination of soap mass, water mass, and lather-building time. (It is noted that WhollyKaw is spelled without a space in almost all official cases, the one exception being the WK Facebook page.)
  • The soap was purchased on July 13, 2019, and it took eleven (11) daily shaves to optimize. The water-to-soap ratio was nonsequentially varied from 4 to 18, yielding slickness and post-shave quality that peaked nearly simultaneously around a hydration ratio of 7. Lather-building time was varied from 60 seconds to 150 seconds. The best lather-building time was found to be around 120 seconds for enough development without going overboard and aerating the lather too much.
  • WhollyKaw produces a well-balanced lather with good to really good performance that justified many ranking tests using my optimums of different lather products. WhollyKaw easily beat Barrister and Mann's classic version. In subsequent ranking tests, comparisons generally got more difficult as I compared WK to higher ranked products in my table. WhollyKaw really gave Nanny's Silly Soap a run for its money, leading to three ranking tests between WK and NSS. Even though a part of me wanted to place WK at #1 because of WK's adhesion and application, it wasn't enough to supplant NSS, which beat WK with a little more overall slickness and better post-shave moisture.

Optimum Lather Overview

Sheen is good to very good. Lather has weak peaks and very good yogurt-like behavior of stringiness. Adhesion and application are good. Slickness is mostly good to very good with some okay to pretty good moments. Cushion/protection is good. Post-shave is good with respect to moisture and good with respect to comfort.

Optimum Lather Table

full

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Summary

• WhollyKaw (WK) shaving soap, the unscented tallow version, was optimized with my standard process of using an initially dry synthetic-hair brush and bowl lathering precise amounts that were varied from shave to shave in finding the best combination of soap mass, water mass, and lather-building time. (It is noted that WhollyKaw is spelled without a space in almost all official cases, the one exception being the WK Facebook page.)
  • The soap was purchased on July 13, 2019, and it took eleven (11) daily shaves to optimize. The water-to-soap ratio was nonsequentially varied from 4 to 18, yielding slickness and post-shave quality that peaked nearly simultaneously around a hydration ratio of 7. Lather-building time was varied from 60 seconds to 150 seconds. The best lather-building time was found to be around 120 seconds for enough development without going overboard and aerating the lather too much.
  • WhollyKaw produces a well-balanced lather with good to really good performance that justified many ranking tests using my optimums of different lather products. WhollyKaw easily beat Barrister and Mann's classic version. In subsequent ranking tests, comparisons generally got more difficult as I compared WK to higher ranked products in my table. WhollyKaw really gave Nanny's Silly Soap a run for its money, leading to three ranking tests between WK and NSS. Even though a part of me wanted to place WK at #1 because of WK's adhesion and application, it wasn't enough to supplant NSS, which beat WK with a little more overall slickness and better post-shave moisture.

Optimum Lather Overview

Sheen is good to very good. Lather has weak peaks and very good yogurt-like behavior of stringiness. Adhesion and application are good. Slickness is mostly good to very good with some okay to pretty good moments. Cushion/protection is good. Post-shave is good with respect to moisture and good with respect to comfort.

Optimum Lather Table

full

Grant, you continue to quantify "good" with precision that Aristotle and Democritus would appreciate!

The only WK I have is Washington's Blend, and the scent was one of those you'd just unscrew the lid and breathe deep ... But after a couple years, it's faded to just Tallow, sadly. Still works well, but.

AA

Grant, you continue to quantify "good" with precision that Aristotle and Democritus would appreciate!

The only WK I have is Washington's Blend, and the scent was one of those you'd just unscrew the lid and breathe deep ... But after a couple years, it's faded to just Tallow, sadly. Still works well, but.

AA

Thanks, AA. Even though Greeks at that time weren't much into shaving, I'd like to think that Aristotle and Democritus would appreciate our efforts here. :001_tongu Washington's Blend sounds like a very interesting scent, by the way.

AA
:( I have a Jamestown Gentleman that is about 50% gone. Sad stuff

WK remains the only soap I opened and nearly 3017’ed to the end.

Each and every shave was a delight, and I miss it! It’ll be back on the radar after the sabbatical. Another terrific review, Grant! Great to see you try one that rolled to (nearly) the top.

John

WK remains the only soap I opened and nearly 3017’ed to the end.

Each and every shave was a delight, and I miss it! It’ll be back on the radar after the sabbatical. Another terrific review, Grant! Great to see you try one that rolled to (nearly) the top.

John

Thanks, John! Yeah, WhollyKaw is really good. It was a tough battle between WhollyKaw and Nanny's Silly Soap. I might do some more back-and-forth tests between them. Maybe WK will overtake NSS in a late decision. :001_tongu

Summary

Optimum Lather Overview

Optimum Lather Table

full

Great work! Looks like a totally excellent product!

Top Bottom