What's new

Wholly Trinity - DE Safety Razors

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Excellent "wholly" trinity choices for the safety razors gentlemen. I am gladly intrigued to see the BlackBird listed oh so many times.

I'd recommend the 1.20mm blade gap plate for the Blutt BR-1. It truly is a smooth shaver, I do not feel the blade as on the BlackBird. Overall the Blutt-BR-1 is a milder yet efficient razor.

Cheers,
-thecutter
That's why it still interests me. I've never used one of the "aggressive" razors.... or the "less than smooth" razors. @Mr. Shavington has the Claymore Evolution and the Blutt 1.2. He told me, they are similar but the Blutt BR-1 is a notch up in efficiency. I am vacillating..... buy a higher end DE or just be content with my Claymore Evolution.

That's why it still interests me. I've never used one of the "aggressive" razors.... or the "less than smooth" razors. @Mr. Shavington has the Claymore Evolution and the Blutt 1.2. He told me, they are similar but the Blutt BR-1 is a notch up in efficiency. I am vacillating..... buy a higher end DE or just be content with my Claymore Evolution.
I have been trying to keep my mouth shut, but I have been secretly rooting for you to get the Blutt 1.2, I have known about it for some time. I think one of the criteria you should make/consider is the handle, you should get a handle that you like for the money. I think the one it has is a good compliment to your preferred Timeless handle. I think getting one is a better investment than the Razorock and would instantly obsolete it. I see they are out of stock in the US, but the price direct is no worse. I know I have come close in the past, but there are a few details that I didn't care for. Now I am done buying for quite some time.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have been trying to keep my mouth shut, but I have been secretly rooting for you to get the Blutt 1.2, I have known about it for some time. I think one of the criteria you should make/consider is the handle, you should get a handle that you like for the money. I think the one it has is a good compliment to your preferred Timeless handle. I think getting one is a better investment than the Razorock and would instantly obsolete it. I see they are out of stock in the US, but the price direct is no worse. I know I have come close in the past, but there are a few details that I didn't care for. Now I am done buying for quite some time.
I decided not to buy the Wolfman Darwin handle for now. That means the Blatt would only be an extra $50, unless I added a more mild base plate.

Still, I am trying to determine if I even want a high end DE. I know I don’t need one. <eg>

I recommend the Blutt 1.20 which I have but on all accounts my Vector Ti is better. Since I have the Claymore Evo polished with Alpha titanium handle it is very smooth and surprisingly efficient for its mildness. The Vector polished in stainless or Titanium will suit you as:
1. Way more nimble than 99% of razors out there. Gets into very tight spots.
2. More efficient than Blutt 1.20 as it has more effective blades. Put a Feather Super and you will know how efficient it can be. Put a Shick Proline and it will be a daily driver easily or Feathers Pros.
3. You already have experience with SE’s which will make for an easy transition.
4. The Blutt 1.20 is very well engineered, very tight tolerances but the Vectors design is so simple but works so well. It has that happy medium Goldilocks blade gap and exposure that will suit many faces, ymmv lol.
5. Despite Blutt being clamped down better like a Wr1 Wolf, the Vector commands better edge to edge control. In use it feels like no other razor. (Edit: this is due to SE blades being much thicker then DE blades)
6. Its precision is like a surgical instrument, you can detail your sideburns.
7. Its light weight makes it fun to use. Its like a Ferrari while the Blutt is like a Volvo, well built. Volvos are cool too, but its not a Ferrari.
8. Very smooth against the grain, I would call this a tie.
9. The Blutt you load the blade easier, its a pain for the Vector. I install the blade backwards half the time.
10. Sadly, imo the Vector will be your #1 razor over the Claymore, I can put money on that.

I hope this helps you making a wise decision @Phoenixkh

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I recommend the Blutt 1.20 which I have but on all accounts my Vector Ti is better. Since I have the Claymore Evo polished with Alpha titanium handle it is very smooth and surprisingly efficient for its mildness. The Vector polished in stainless or Titanium will suit you as:
1. Way more nimble than 99% of razors out there. Gets into very tight spots.
2. More efficient than Blutt 1.20 as it has more effective blades. Put a Feather Super and you will know how efficient it can be. Put a Shick Proline and it will be a daily driver easily or Feathers Pros.
3. You already have experience with SE’s which will make for an easy transition.
4. The Blutt 1.20 is very well engineered, very tight tolerances but the Vectors design is so simple but works so well. It has that happy medium Goldilocks blade gap and exposure that will suit many faces, ymmv lol.
5. Despite Blutt being clamped down better like a Wr1 Wolf, the Vector commands better edge to edge control. In use it feels like no other razor. (Edit: this is due to SE blades being much thicker then DE blades)
6. Its precision is like a surgical instrument, you can detail your sideburns.
7. Its light weight makes it fun to use. Its like a Ferrari while the Blutt is like a Volvo, well built. Volvos are cool too, but its not a Ferrari.
8. Very smooth against the grain, I would call this a tie.
9. The Blutt you load the blade easier, its a pain for the Vector. I install the blade backwards half the time.
10. Sadly, imo the Vector will be your #1 razor over the Claymore, I can put money on that.

I hope this helps you making a wise decision @Phoenixkh
I've read about the Vector here quite a bit, as I'm sure you know. I'm a bit concerned it might be too aggressive for me. As I've mentioned, I'm too inexperienced to really know what I like but I think I like the mildness of the Claymore Evolution. I don't seem to need to bump up my Claymore Evo by using the Feather Pro or Super blades. The Feather ProGuard works well, as well as the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG guarded blades. I've tried all the AC blades and those two work the best for me... all except the Feather Pro and Super Pro, because I haven't need that extra bump.

For some odd reason, the Schick Prolines just don't work on my face with the Claymore Evo..... They should, but they are rough and struggle to cut my whiskers. I know they are loved by many Vector users so I expected they to be excellent for me. I ended up ordering two packages of 30. That's how confident they'd be great for me. No such luck.

I was going to participate in this thread but I've never even heard of the brands most of you are talking about. Save for #1, when I started shaving, most of the vintage Gillettes I own were new or recently manufactured.

1) Feather AS-D2 - it's the perfect razor for me: weight, quality, and quality of shave.
2) Gillette Ball End Tech - it's right behind the Feather, just not as well made.
3) Gillette Slim - I also have a 195 but I like the Slim better because it's a bit more maneuverable for me. Adjustables are fun.

@Phoenixkh
From experience I’ll rank Aggressive for the some razors:
Mildness = lower number:
Claymore Evo : 4/10
Blutt 1.20 : 5/10
RFB : 5/10
Vector Ss : 6/10
Vector Ti : 5/10
Blackbird Ss: 8/10
Blackbird Ti: 7/10
Timeless.95 Ti : 7/10
Gamechanger.84: 6/10
Tech: 2/10
ASd2 : 1/10
Cobra Classic: 9/10
R41 Ti: 9/10
Lupo 95 Oc: 8/10
Lupo 95 Sb : 7/10

This is of course my opinion. So with the Vector it’s nothing to worry about. The whole razor will feel very intuitive as you like the Crown Ti handle which I also enjoy. You can add that to the Vector head if you prefer it more.

I've read about the Vector here quite a bit, as I'm sure you know. I'm a bit concerned it might be too aggressive for me. As I've mentioned, I'm too inexperienced to really know what I like but I think I like the mildness of the Claymore Evolution. I don't seem to need to bump up my Claymore Evo by using the Feather Pro or Super blades. The Feather ProGuard works well, as well as the Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG guarded blades. I've tried all the AC blades and those two work the best for me... all except the Feather Pro and Super Pro, because I haven't need that extra bump.

For some odd reason, the Schick Prolines just don't work on my face with the Claymore Evo..... They should, but they are rough and struggle to cut my whiskers. I know they are loved by many Vector users so I expected they to be excellent for me. I ended up ordering two packages of 30. That's how confident they'd be great for me. No such luck.
My only addition to some of the most condensed reasoning I have read advocating for the Vector from @Calm_Shaver : For a brief window of time the Vector has the potential to be a little aggressive depending on how quickly you lock in to it its unique very low head profile vs blade gap. But once mastered, it is incredibly tame with significant dynamic range in efficiency, both through AC blade options but also effectiveness of the razor handling. It took me about 1.5 months of regular shaving with it to finally become intuitive with it, because I was so used to registering placement of a razor head based on more conventional DE style head profiles, including the Razorock Hawk.

Every time I come back from a DE session, my appreciation for the Vector increases. But I just received a Blackbird Ti, and I enjoy the Lupo .95 OC as well. So DE for me is in part variety, but also trying to explore efficiency increases in the larger base of DE vs the smaller pool in SE AC razors.

Last edited:
@Phoenixkh
Mildness = lower number:

This is of course my opinion. So with the Vector it’s nothing to worry about. The whole razor will feel very intuitive as you like the Crown Ti handle which I also enjoy. You can add that to the Vector head if you prefer it more.
My only concern with this list: It is confirming my intuition that I need to try the R41 :)

My only concern with this list: It is confirming my intuition that I need to try the R41 :)
You definitely need to try it. It is nothing to be feared but you do have to be mindful & technique+blade choice is everything. Definately not a speed shaver or for beginners. Light pressure and 2 slow passes and your’re BBS, extremely efficient. It does have some blade chatter but nothing to worry about.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
@Phoenixkh
Mildness = lower number:

My only addition to some of the most condensed reasoning I have read advocating for the Vector from @Calm_Shaver : For a brief window of time the Vector has the potential to be a little aggressive depending on how quickly you lock in to it its unique very low head profile vs blade gap. But once mastered, it is incredibly tame with significant dynamic range in efficiency, both through AC blade options but also effectiveness of the razor handling. It took me about 1.5 months of regular shaving with it to finally become intuitive with it, because I was so used to registering placement of a razor head based on more conventional DE style head profiles, including the Razorock Hawk.

Every time I come back from a DE session, my appreciation for the Vector increases. But I just received a Blackbird Ti, and I enjoy the Lupo .95 OC as well. So DE for me is in part variety, but also trying to explore efficiency increases in the larger base of DE vs the smaller pool in SE AC razors.
Thanks a lot. One thing I do like about the Claymore Evo is the thin head design. The Vector head has an even thinner profile, I think.... but since I've only seen photos, you'd be able to shed some light on that.

When I get back into the States, it sounds like I owe it to myself to pick up the two more aggressive blades and try them. That might be the least expensive way to find out if I even enjoy a more aggressive razor.

@Calm_Shaver, based on my limited experience, I think my British Flat Bottom Tech might be a 3/10 because it is definitely a step down in efficiency, with the blades I've tried so far, but not half as efficient/aggressive as the Claymore. I'm going to try a Kai blade in it tomorrow.... see if that takes it up a notch.

Your rating of the Blutt is also very helpful.... just a bit more aggressive/efficient than the Claymore. @Mr. Shavington said exactly that. In the mouth of two witnesses........ and all that. <eg>

Edit: Your rating of the Vector Ti is also interesting...I really have been wondering about that. @never-stop-learning / David is going to give the Claymore a few more shaves in SEptember. I look forward to his comments on the topic.

No particular order, preference changes. I think that's why having a few choices is nice.

- Timeless Ti 95
Steep angle smoothness. It's efficient, but if you don't keep the angle steep it can feel like it's about to bite due to the gap. With the steep angle and a light touch, the moderately large gap is toothless. I don't like how parallel to my face the handle sometimes is.

- Henson limited run Al13 +++
Mindless safety, sneakily efficient. It's the equivalent to the Timeless in the results it produces, but gets there differently. Larger blade exposure feels the same as the Timeless due to the amount of blade bend. Great handle angle, but the locked in shaving angle isn't for everybody.

-Tatara Nodachi with both Masamune plates
I started with the OC plate because the exposure is the same as the Timeless, but I don't like the way the teeth feel. I am coming around to preferring the SB plate because I like the way it feels and the amount of blade feel. All around, very well manufactured razor that can cover a variety of user preferences. One of the strongest clamping razors on the market, you can feel it after using other razors. I love the dark finish, it's half the reason I wanted the razor. The shape of the top cap and how it interacts with my face is my favourite part about the shave. I actually enjoy using this more than I care about the results, but it is plenty capable. I just tend not to like sharper blades any more. The only downside I can come up with is the blade angle is flatter and that makes the blade feel higher.

I have another razor incoming that will likely replace the Henson on a top three list, but certainly won't send it to the BST. The other two have there spots secured for various reasons. The blade bend on the new razor should be similar to the Henson, but the shaping of the head will be different(lower profile). The shave should be similar, but feel a little different.
+1 re Tatara! I too much prefer the SB baseplate.

I’m working my way through combinations of Nodachi and Masamune parts (stainless steel versions). So far, for me the lighter, smaller M handle is the clear winner, and the full N head is too aggressive. That narrows it down to 3 head combinations, all SB:
- Full M
- M top with N base
- N top with M base

Full M is noticeably but not dramatically the mildest. The other two combos are very close. All are smooth but efficient, well balanced, and pleasant to use with a Feather or other sharp blade. I’m not sure the differences are worth the effort to decide a winner, but that’s what we do.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When the mail delivery person shows up today... I'll actually have three different razor models. I have a Lupo DE Aluminum in a drawer and I don't ever count that one but in the interest of full disclosure... that would make a total of 4. ;)

So,
Claymore Evolution
British Flat Bottom Tech
British NEW Raised Flat Bottom

Top Bottom