What's new

Wholly Kaw PROBLEM...help me!!! hahaha

That title is about as "click baity" as I could make it...but I really do need some help.

I'm a creature of habit. I started wet shaving w/ DE's probably 8 to 9 years ago...when mantic59 had just started to roll out his videos(the godfather). Since then...i've stuck with Proraso, Tabac, Musgo Real and Speick solely. But recently I thought, "hey, everybody on youtube is raving about all these new artisan soaps...why not go all in". So, I did. Bought a bunch of soaps & AS from A&E, Wholly kaw and Stirling. I've had GREAT success w/ stirling but both A&E and Wholly Kaw I've had very disappointing lathers.

My method...because these are such soft soaps, I'm not soaking before hand at all. I prep my brushes(badger) in hot water 8ish minutes. And, load the brush by swirling in the tub for about 40 seconds. Applying very little pressure, allowing the brush to do the loading work instead of smashing it into the soap. I face lather, build lather until has a nice sheen and use a SR for my shaves. Very little residual slickness, sort of dry feeling right after shave. Also, many say that these are "thirsty" soaps...mine seem to lather up w/ very little water added. Am I crazy in thinking these are rather underwhelming soaps or am I doing something wrong? Maybe my water? Im in Kansas City...cant imagine my water being THAT bad...I dont know. I'm very disappointed...like I said. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

I've tried Stirling and A&E and I'd say they're both great performers. I have hard water and they still lather up fine for me. I use pretty similar technique for both of those soaps. Most of the artisan soaps are very thirsty so I'd suggest you keep adding water to the lather. The lather should easily rinse off of your razor so try hydrating until you get to that point.

Here's a lather that I got with A&E Asian Plum

A&E Asian plum lather.jpg

I've tried Stirling and A&E and I'd say they're both great performers. I have hard water and they still lather up fine for me. I use pretty similar technique for both of those soaps. Most of the artisan soaps are very thirsty so I'd suggest you keep adding water to the lather. The lather should easily rinse off of your razor so try hydrating until you get to that point.
Maybe I guess. I'll try adding some more and see what happens. Maybe distilled water as well. We'll see. Thanks!

Here's a lather that I got with A&E Asian Plum

View attachment 1102002
Well, to note...I get plenty of lather! Looks exactly like that! It just performs very poorly. No slickness, no backbone. I wondered if it was over hydrated but everyone said they were thirsty soaps and frankly I didnt add that much water and still produced a bulky head of lather on my brush. I dont know...its honestly disconcerting considering the cost...and everyone says they work great for them. I have to be doing something wrong...I just have no idea what. Again, lots of lather...just poor protection. :/

Well, to note...I get plenty of lather! Looks exactly like that! It just performs very poorly. No slickness, no backbone. I wondered if it was over hydrated but everyone said they were thirsty soaps and frankly I didnt add that much water and still produced a bulky head of lather on my brush. I dont know...its honestly disconcerting considering the cost...and everyone says they work great for them. I have to be doing something wrong...I just have no idea what. Again, lots of lather...just poor protection. :/
Hmm. It's definitely slick for me. Try messing around with the water. It might be too dry or too wet... you'll have to figure that out.

Try a synthetic brush and that might solve all these issues. Both of the soaps you mention are great; probably my top 5. Or use filtered water. But interestingly stirling works for you, those tend to be pasty and sticky for me.

From what you say, I suspect that you have not added enough water. I find that most artisan soaps require about ten times as much water as soap. Some require even more than that. I bowl lather and start with 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of water and about 1 1/2 grams (1/4 teaspoon) of soap. Ariana and Evans and Wholly Kaw soaps provide superb levels of both primary and residual slickness if properly hydrated.

My test for proper hydration is to fill my sink with water (or a cup or bowl if you live in a water restricted area). I normally leave a slight trickle of water running. Then as I shave I gently dip my razor (straight razor or safety razor does not matter) into the water without swirling. If the lather sticks to the razor, it is too dry and I need to add more water to the lather until it no longer sticks. If the lather immediately dissipates, then it is too wet and I need to add more soap. When the lather is properly hydrated, it will immediately release from the razor and float intact to the surface. There is generally a range of hydration that will accomplish this. If you want a slicker lather, keep adding water until it starts to break up. If you want more cushion, make the lather on the drier side. I normally want a balance of slickness and cushion, so I try to get somewhere in the middle.

From what you say, I suspect that you have not added enough water. I find that most artisan soaps require about ten times as much water as soap. Some require even more than that. I bowl lather and start with 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of water and about 1 1/2 grams (1/4 teaspoon) of soap. Ariana and Evans and Wholly Kaw soaps provide superb levels of both primary and residual slickness if properly hydrated.

My test for proper hydration is to fill my sink with water (or a cup or bowl if you live in a water restricted area). I normally leave a slight trickle of water running. Then as I shave I gently dip my razor (straight razor or safety razor does not matter) into the water without swirling. If the lather sticks to the razor, it is too dry and I need to add more water to the lather until it no longer sticks. If the lather immediately dissipates, then it is too wet and I need to add more soap. When the lather is properly hydrated, it will immediately release from the razor and float intact to the surface. There is generally a range of hydration that will accomplish this. If you want a slicker lather, keep adding water until it starts to break up. If you want more cushion, make the lather on the drier side. I normally want a balance of slickness and cushion, so I try to get somewhere in the middle.

^^^^^

water. I've found that both of my favs B&M and WK like the H20.

camo

From what you say, I suspect that you have not added enough water.

I would say the polar opposite based on the portion of the OP's post I have put in bold. It doesn't appear to me he has gathered enough soap on the brush. Admittedly, I am doing some guesswork here.

My method...because these are such soft soaps, I'm not soaking before hand at all. I prep my brushes(badger) in hot water 8ish minutes. And, load the brush by swirling in the tub for about 40 seconds. Applying very little pressure, allowing the brush to do the loading work instead of smashing it into the soap. I face lather, build lather until has a nice sheen and use a SR for my shaves. Very little residual slickness, sort of dry feeling right after shave. Also, many say that these are "thirsty" soaps...mine seem to lather up w/ very little water added.

There are numerous ways to create good lather. Here is what I would suggest as one method. Try bowl lathering for starters. I suspect that this will allow you more control. Once you bring the lather to your face you can do final adjustments. To start, I suggest soaking a boar or badger brush for about 5 minutes. If I am using a synthetic I also soak it but it is not a critical step since synths don't soak up water. As long as the synth is damp but not dripping when you are ready to start lathering you will be okay.

Scoop your soap--scoop a really nice sized portion and mash it on the bottom of the bowl. Don't skimp on the amount. A little more just means a bit more time preparing the lather. Too much and it will take too much time.

Wring out your brush. Bring the damp brush into the bowl and start swirling it around in the soap using some pressure to get the proto-lather started. Add water by dripping 4-6 drops onto the brush every so often. Then keep swirling and mixing the water with the soap little by little. Don't whip it--mix it gently but firmly with your brush so that the soap gradually takes on the water without getting foamy. When it starts to take on a sheen take it to your face and adjust the hydration by tipping your brush tip into the water and face lathering.

Wholly Kaw, Ariana & Evans and Stirling all make top notch soaps that are relatively easy to lather. You have chosen well.

Southsider makes some excellent suggestions. The only thing I do that is a bit different is to add a few drops of water directly to the puck until I achieve the desired consistency . As others have mentioned, A&E and WK are two of my top performing soaps.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy :)

ok...i def like your litmus test here. I'll give this a shot. Im def on the heavy cushion side with little to no slickness. It's got to be under hydrated. We'll see what happens. Thanks for this!

Southsider makes some excellent suggestions. The only thing I do that is a bit different is to add a few drops of water directly to the puck until I achieve the desired consistency . As others have mentioned, A&E and WK are two of my top performing soaps.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy :)
yeah...everyone says this. I have to be doing something wrong. It cant be the soaps. Thanks!

^^^^^

water. I've found that both of my favs B&M and WK like the H20.

camo
I know...everyone says that too. By all appearances though...it would have seeeeeemed as though I was right on the money...until I shaved. Thanks for the thoughts!

I would say the polar opposite based on the portion of the OP's post I have put in bold. It doesn't appear to me he has gathered enough soap on the brush. Admittedly, I am doing some guesswork here.

There are numerous ways to create good lather. Here is what I would suggest as one method. Try bowl lathering for starters. I suspect that this will allow you more control. Once you bring the lather to your face you can do final adjustments. To start, I suggest soaking a boar or badger brush for about 5 minutes. If I am using a synthetic I also soak it but it is not a critical step since synths don't soak up water. As long as the synth is damp but not dripping when you are ready to start lathering you will be okay.

Scoop your soap--scoop a really nice sized portion and mash it on the bottom of the bowl. Don't skimp on the amount. A little more just means a bit more time preparing the lather. Too much and it will take too much time.

Wring out your brush. Bring the damp brush into the bowl and start swirling it around in the soap using some pressure to get the proto-lather started. Add water by dripping 4-6 drops onto the brush every so often. Then keep swirling and mixing the water with the soap little by little. Don't whip it--mix it gently but firmly with your brush so that the soap gradually takes on the water without getting foamy. When it starts to take on a sheen take it to your face and adjust the hydration by tipping your brush tip into the water and face lathering.

Wholly Kaw, Ariana & Evans and Stirling all make top notch soaps that are relatively easy to lather. You have chosen well.
Ok...so, in regards to brush loading. This is a possibility. I may not have loaded the brush enough, although I swirled for 40 seconds in the tub, I didnt "bloom" it and I certainly didnt get all the slickness everyone says and my first assumption was under loading. I will say this...i do primarily face lather and would prefer to get these soaps working correctly w/ that method. I have NOT tried a synth brush and a few have recommended that. I'll need to purchase one being that when I started wet shaving synth brushes weren't considered great choices...obviously the industry has grown. I decided this morning to just create some hand lathers using different waters(distilled vs tap), brushes and loading methods. I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks

If you re using hot water try warm water not hot water. Water that is too hot may break down the lather to the point that you are not getting the slickness or protection that you mentioned.

Ok...so, in regards to brush loading. This is a possibility. I may not have loaded the brush enough, although I swirled for 40 seconds in the tub, I didnt "bloom" it and I certainly didnt get all the slickness everyone says and my first assumption was under loading. I will say this...i do primarily face lather and would prefer to get these soaps working correctly w/ that method. I have NOT tried a synth brush and a few have recommended that. I'll need to purchase one being that when I started wet shaving synth brushes weren't considered great choices...obviously the industry has grown. I decided this morning to just create some hand lathers using different waters(distilled vs tap), brushes and loading methods. I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks

shouldn't need to bloom these types.....and would advise against that.

after prepping badger are you leaving wet or removing water???

with both boars and synths.....I leave water in and let excess bleed out of tub when I first start loading. medium pressure loading.

I've found 30 seconds to be enough for me.

camo

Top Bottom