What's new

Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto-Tallow Version

Good evening. With all the talk lately of Wholly Kaw shave soaps, I finally made a purchase. I had emailed the proprietor a few months ago when I first saw the brand. I made a mental note to follow up with the products and the recent thread about the donkey milk version of this soap pushed me over to the buy button.

Now first let me say I made an erroneous assumption. The soaps are available in either veg or tallow versions. I thought the tallow versions were all switching over to formula with added donkey milk. Not so according to what is listed on the web site. This Chypre Rose does NOT contain donk milk but it is the tallow version. It does contain lanolin and shea butter which I find to be worthwhile additions to any shave soap. Here is the ingredients list copied from Wholly Kaw direct;

Tallow Soap:

Vegetable Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Distilled Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Kokum Butter, Cocoa Butter, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Lanolin, Essential Oils, Fragrance Oils

It comes in a white plastic tub about four inches in diameter. When I spoke to the maker he told me he was transitioning away from metal tins to plastic jars and I think this was a good move. The large diameter makes loading easy with little to no mess. Nice detail. There is a label on the lid which runs almost side to side. Nice, understated graphics. And the ingredients list is easy to read.

The soap is a pearlescent white colour with a medium sheen to it. Very soft like a croap. I don't know if this is the typical density of WK soaps but this one is soft. This is of no concern to me since I use both harder cakes and softer soaps alike. Nicely packed in the jar and flattened well enough. Good initial presentation.

Lather. You know, sometimes you open up a product and simply have a hunch that things are aright with the shave world. This is how I sensed the first loading of lather. I soaked my brush and gave it a hard shake. I load off the cake for about 30-40 seconds til a good amount of paste like lather is loaded into the tips. Then I opened the breech of the knot and dumped about a teaspoon and a half of hot water in and worked this into the paste in a straight up and down pump handle motion on the top of the soap. Just to mix it in a bit. I let it sit for five or six minutes whilst I treated my beard to several hot towel treatments. I then went to the beard and started to work it up.

This is where tallow soaps show their worth to me. This was neither a super thirsty soap nor a breaker that falls apart with just a bit too much water added. I spent about three to four minutes working the lather into what I thought was an acceptable, creamy lather. This is typical of how I work many soaps. I like to get a full hydration and good working over of the beard as I build it. I had a super stable, creamy dense lather and was ready to go.

Same DE as yesterday with a three shave Plolisilver blade. From the first cut I knew it was going to work well. And indeed it did. This was actually my second shave with the soap and while the first one was good, the second was better. Chalk that up to learning its ways. Glide was very good. Cushion was excellent. As always the test for me and my greying beard is the ATG pass on the upper lip and jaw line. Never to fear. Chypre Rose let me get close and did it comfortably. Some blade buffing here and there but overall not needed.

Aftershave was flawless. In fact, I used nothing whatsoever and did not find myself in wont for lack of it. Terrific skin conditioning.

Scent. The last, and most subjective quality of all. This is a rose scent and no mistake. I know it has other components in it and they make it more than a rose without taking away from it. And this rose reminds me of the more classic old British houses like Harris. It does not explode with scent and stays very close to the skin. Aftershave notes were mild to say the least. This is not a bathroom bomb. And we are better for it. Classic is how I would describe it. I may have to try the toner for comparison.

I know this is an initial review and should be vetted with your own experiences but I feel very comfortable saying Wholly Kaw is a top shelf soap. I will most certainly be exploring this brand further. Jamestown Gentleman anyone?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Thanks for the review. I too was a bit perplexed by the addition (or lack of) the donkey milk in their formulations...

I actually just shaved with this a few days back. I had initially thought I'd shave with it just to give it a try, and then I'd move it along. I was wrong. This one's a keeper!! It's a rose scent for sure, but to my nose, the citrus hangs on through to the base and joins the cedarwood, making for a nice blend between the citrus, rose, and cedar. Highly recommended!

I have been really impressed with WK tallow soaps. Chepre Rose Concerto is not a regular rose scent, usually I am nto a huge fan of floral scents, but this is something special. I like that Wholly Kaw has been making some stronger more complex scents and the lather from the tallow formula is excellent.

Good evening. With all the talk lately of Wholly Kaw shave soaps, I finally made a purchase. I had emailed the proprietor a few months ago when I first saw the brand. I made a mental note to follow up with the products and the recent thread about the donkey milk version of this soap pushed me over to the buy button.

Now first let me say I made an erroneous assumption. The soaps are available in either veg or tallow versions. I thought the tallow versions were all switching over to formula with added donkey milk. Not so according to what is listed on the web site. This Chypre Rose does NOT contain donk milk but it is the tallow version. It does contain lanolin and shea butter which I find to be worthwhile additions to any shave soap. Here is the ingredients list copied from Wholly Kaw direct;

Tallow Soap:

Vegetable Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Distilled Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Castor Oil, Kokum Butter, Cocoa Butter, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Lanolin, Essential Oils, Fragrance Oils

It comes in a white plastic tub about four inches in diameter. When I spoke to the maker he told me he was transitioning away from metal tins to plastic jars and I think this was a good move. The large diameter makes loading easy with little to no mess. Nice detail. There is a label on the lid which runs almost side to side. Nice, understated graphics. And the ingredients list is easy to read.

The soap is a pearlescent white colour with a medium sheen to it. Very soft like a croap. I don't know if this is the typical density of WK soaps but this one is soft. This is of no concern to me since I use both harder cakes and softer soaps alike. Nicely packed in the jar and flattened well enough. Good initial presentation.

Lather. You know, sometimes you open up a product and simply have a hunch that things are aright with the shave world. This is how I sensed the first loading of lather. I soaked my brush and gave it a hard shake. I load off the cake for about 30-40 seconds til a good amount of paste like lather is loaded into the tips. Then I opened the breech of the knot and dumped about a teaspoon and a half of hot water in and worked this into the paste in a straight up and down pump handle motion on the top of the soap. Just to mix it in a bit. I let it sit for five or six minutes whilst I treated my beard to several hot towel treatments. I then went to the beard and started to work it up.

This is where tallow soaps show their worth to me. This was neither a super thirsty soap nor a breaker that falls apart with just a bit too much water added. I spent about three to four minutes working the lather into what I thought was an acceptable, creamy lather. This is typical of how I work many soaps. I like to get a full hydration and good working over of the beard as I build it. I had a super stable, creamy dense lather and was ready to go.

Same DE as yesterday with a three shave Plolisilver blade. From the first cut I knew it was going to work well. And indeed it did. This was actually my second shave with the soap and while the first one was good, the second was better. Chalk that up to learning its ways. Glide was very good. Cushion was excellent. As always the test for me and my greying beard is the ATG pass on the upper lip and jaw line. Never to fear. Chypre Rose let me get close and did it comfortably. Some blade buffing here and there but overall not needed.

Aftershave was flawless. In fact, I used nothing whatsoever and did not find myself in wont for lack of it. Terrific skin conditioning.

Scent. The last, and most subjective quality of all. This is a rose scent and no mistake. I know it has other components in it and they make it more than a rose without taking away from it. And this rose reminds me of the more classic old British houses like Harris. It does not explode with scent and stays very close to the skin. Aftershave notes were mild to say the least. This is not a bathroom bomb. And we are better for it. Classic is how I would describe it. I may have to try the toner for comparison.

I know this is an initial review and should be vetted with your own experiences but I feel very comfortable saying Wholly Kaw is a top shelf soap. I will most certainly be exploring this brand further. Jamestown Gentleman anyone?

Glad to hear you liked it. I was looking for a more complex rose scent to pair with a fragrance and this hit the mark in a big way. Most rose soaps are just rose and that's about it, this is not, and performance is really really good. The Jamestown Gentleman I have and I would def recommend it if you like the Chypre Rose Concerto

Great review! I had never used a Wholly Kaw soap until 2 months ago and now own 5. I'm a big fan of classic rose scents and I put this one up near the top of the list. Fern Concerto is probably my favorite of the line I've tried so far, just a great fresh and bright green fragrance with the same performance as the rest of the tallow line. I only have one tub of the donkey milk soaps, that being the new Mayfair Man. It's advertised as a upscale English barbershop scent and I think that is as close of a description as anyone could ask for. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a much cleaner and modern Clubman, very nice indeed! I didn't notice a huge difference in performance between the tallow only and the donkey milk with tallow, including post shave which both are excellent imho. Sorry to go off track here from your review, but just wanted to add a little about both formulas and a couple of the other scents.

Glad to hear you liked it. I was looking for a more complex rose scent to pair with a fragrance and this hit the mark in a big way. Most rose soaps are just rose and that's about it, this is not, and performance is really really good. The Jamestown Gentleman I have and I would def recommend it if you like the Chypre Rose Concerto

DE, thanks for the insight on JTG. I like this old school rosee enough that I am more than interested in the rest of the line. I have read some of your posts on WK and have fine confidence in your take on it. Appreciate the response.

Great revresponse. ad never used a Wholly Kaw soap until 2 months ago and now own 5. I'm a big fan of classic rose scents and I put this one up near the top of the list. Fern Concerto is probably my favorite of the line I've tried so far, just a great fresh and bright green fragrance with the same performance as the rest of the tallow line. I only have one tub of the donkey milk soaps, that being the new Mayfair Man. It's advertised as a upscale English barbershop scent and I think that is as close of a description as anyone could ask for. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a much cleaner and modern Clubman, very nice indeed! I didn't notice a huge difference in performance between the tallow only and the donkey milk with tallow, including post shave which both are excellent imho. Sorry to go off track here from your review, but just wanted to add a little about both formulas and a couple of the other scents.

Joe, hey not off topic at all. Thank you for a superb response. Great information.

Lads, I want to update this thread. My wife and I are spending close to a fortnight in Salt Lake City, Utah. She has been despatched here for her work and I tagged along to get away from my work for awhile. I will tell you, it is mighty hard to hold down the fort doing only what I want whilst the wife is hard at work each day. I will manage though. Ahem...

I brought only one soap with me and it is the subject of this thread. I have been using it daily and it is as good as the reviews would indicate. It has the great sickness that many tallow type soaps do. Allowing blade buffing well beyond the normal. You do your part and it will perform superbly.

I continue to be well satisfied with the scent. It has mellowed a little since I first opened it and it was not overdone to begin with. I still think of it as a classic British gentleman's type fragrance. Subdued rose with...I don't know what else. I like it a lot and it is easily masked by aftershave once rinsed. This is how male floral scents should be in my estimation. You know it while you use it but someone in the next room likely wouldn't.

BTW, I didn't really pack any a/s. Any shave shops or new/old school barbershops in town?

Thank you Randall. I think the Trax system has a station there. It will be easy to get to from Sandy if that is the case. I also have a lead on a downtown barbershop that sells Proraso and Imperial. In any case a good excuse to visit either store.

Had a shave with the donkey milk Man From Mayfair, wonderful barbershop type of scent. Wk has come up with some terrific soap formulas, and I like that they are willing to keep changing the recipe to make the best product possible.

Totally agree, Wholly Kaw's Tallow specially he one with the Donkey Milk is top tier.

His Fougere Bouquete is just so nice. I wish they aren't as expensive as they are now, I'd probably buy a whole lot more.

Finally found TSA sized Clubman a/s at Trolley Square barbers. Neat shop. Also, Tabula Rasa is a must visit. I did not get a/s there but we are ordering a bottle of Santa Maria Novella Tobacco. Fabulous place.

WK soap is more than outstanding in our softened hotel water.

Finally found TSA sized Clubman a/s at Trolley Square barbers. Neat shop. Also, Tabula Rasa is a must visit. I did not get a/s there but we are ordering a bottle of Santa Maria Novella Tobacco. Fabulous place.

WK soap is more than outstanding in our softened hotel water.
Thanks for the update. Glad you found the aftershave and also that you enjoyed visiting Tabula Rasa.

Okay gents. One last follow up to the Salt Lake City expedition. We were here ten days and I shaved on eight of those mornings. Edwin Jagger DE with Russian Gillettes. Four shaves each.

This Wholly Law is the real deal. I know the soft hotel water was a huge bonus but it is good at home too. Lathers easily, super creamy and stable. What I really like is the superb glide and slickness. Honestly, it is outstanding. Never any drag, you can blade buff like a madman, and aftershave is great.

I finished this off the last few days with Clubman Bay Run. Clubman typically burns me like the fires of hell. I applied it with trepidation. Ten seconds of warmness and then, nothing. Testament to the soap I think.

While I would never jump into 'best ever' rant
I can say this one is not going to be taking a back seat to very many soaps. It's enough for me to say I will be getting more of this brand. Particularly interesting is the donkey milk version.

Okay gents. One last follow up to the Salt Lake City expedition. We were here ten days and I shaved on eight of those mornings. Edwin Jagger DE with Russian Gillettes. Four shaves each.

This Wholly Law is the real deal. I know the soft hotel water was a huge bonus but it is good at home too. Lathers easily, super creamy and stable. What I really like is the superb glide and slickness. Honestly, it is outstanding. Never any drag, you can blade buff like a madman, and aftershave is great.

I finished this off the last few days with Clubman Bay Run. Clubman typically burns me like the fires of hell. I applied it with trepidation. Ten seconds of warmness and then, nothing. Testament to the soap I think.

While I would never jump into 'best ever' rant
I can say this one is not going to be taking a back seat to very many soaps. It's enough for me to say I will be getting more of this brand. Particularly interesting is the donkey milk version.

Agree 100%, my WK inventory is a front runner on a daily shave basis. I would venture to say it is unquestionably top 3 in the post shave feel department for me atleast. My neck yells at me loudly when I use soap thats less than perfect and I get no yelling with this soap.

A point of interest, I had a few email exchanges with Sri from Wholly Kaw and requested a list of donkey milk upcoming releases. He said a list was being put together and will be posted shortly.

Point of interest 2, if a soap is available but not on his sample list you can shoot him an email and he'll swap for what you want.

Thanks DE. Good information. I am going to email them and relay the results.

BTW, I misspoke myself earlier when I said they were in my state. It was Wheat State Soaps. Sorry for any confusion.

Glad you enjoyed it Todd. I never push soaps on anyone because it seems everyone has different tastes, but WK is one of the soaps that I think everyone would love.

So, sorry for the day of the living thread bump, but................ I just want to relay info/experience.

So, I bought Chypre Rose Concerto from Groomatorium, thinking I was getting an awesome price on the Donkey Milk soap. It turns out, I was buying this old Tallow formula in the all white tub. I was kind of bummed at first, since I'm familiar with the DM version, and I could tell this looked different.

After shaving with it 3 times in a fairly short period, and getting it rehydrated, I'm convinced this is just about as good as the current formula, plus I LOVE the scent. The lather was exceptional today, and so was the shave. I just wanted people to know you could still get it at Groomatorium for about $19.

Top Bottom