What's new

Who uses an Old Spice Shaving Mug?

I am a bowl latherer but prefer a short, wide bowl so that the brush doesn't clank against the sides (hate that sound in the am). Does anybody know what the widest, shallowest bowl was and what were the dimensions?

The later tapered version with a rim is the best if you want to avoid the clank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

I think it is a coffee mug, part of the 'Morning Refresher' gift set and made in 1984/1985. Nice piece and not easy to find in the UK; you can of course use it for whatever you want. I occasionally drink coffee from an Old Spice soap mug. 😁

My Captains Choice copper bowl has inside dimensions of approx 4 1/2” x 1 1/2” (115mm x 40mm). Pretty wide and shallow by my standards. No Old Spice mug comes close.

The shortest OS mugs are about 2 3/8” (60mm) tall (outside dimension), a little over 3” wide, inside. Hard to avoid the clank when the puck gets thin.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My Captains Choice copper bowl has inside dimensions of approx 4 1/2” x 1 1/2” (115mm x 40mm). Pretty wide and shallow by my standards. No Old Spice mug comes close.

The shortest OS mugs are about 2 3/8” (60mm) tall (outside dimension), a little over 3” wide, inside. Hard to avoid the clank when the puck gets thin.
Maybe I misunderstand as I face lather after loading the brush from the Old Spice mug. I thought that those who bowl lather load the brush in the mug in the same way, and then use a separate bowl to build the lather. They do not actually build the lather in the mug that contains the puck of soap itself. I have seen people spend several minutes bowl lathering; surely doing so in the mug containing the puck would use far too much product and any Old Spice mug would be too small. The dimension of the Old Spice mug would therefore be irrelevant in terms of the brush clanging as the lather is not intended to be built within it. Maybe I have that wrong. 👍

Maybe I misunderstand as I face lather after loading the brush from the Old Spice mug. I thought that those who bowl lather load the brush in the mug in the same way, and then use a separate bowl to build the lather. 👍
I go back and forth regarding face and bowl lathering depending upon the soap, but I've loaded from an OS mug with the puck in it and then bowl lathered in a separate, empty OS mug (usually one of the shorter/wider ones from the '70s -- I have a smaller badger that works well in an OS mug to build lather--even with a larger brush it concentrates the lather higher into the knot before moving to face lathering. Clanking depends on the size of the brush, aggressiveness of your technique or amount of sleep the night prior...

Maybe I misunderstand as I face lather after loading the brush from the Old Spice mug. I thought that those who bowl lather load the brush in the mug in the same way, and then use a separate bowl to build the lather. They do not actually build the lather in the mug that contains the puck of soap itself. I have seen people spend several minutes bowl lathering; surely doing so in the mug containing the puck would use far too much product and any Old Spice mug would be too small. The dimension of the Old Spice mug would therefore be irrelevant in terms of the brush clanging as the lather is not intended to be built within it. Maybe I have that wrong. 👍

I mainly face lather too, just load soap from whichever OS mug. When I bowl lather I do it as you describe, allowing for good control of water content. Thus the Captains Choice bowl and dimensions. But maybe @Tedolph will use an OS mug as a lathering bowl?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
If you wait you can find some for less than £7

Affirmative,
I purchased this lot of 3 off eBay about a month ago with a $5 offer, shipping and tax were around $13 so I came out less than $20 for all 3....

1586542528538.png

I have two. One holds soap, the other is empty at the moment. I don't bowl (or mug) lather, but I do enjoy loading from a puck in an OS mug!

In my 75 year old mind, both of those ways are of more modern adaption. At least from my experience. The way I learned and still use is to lather in the mug on top of the soap. Bowl lathering is too much effort. I've tried face lathering and can't seem to make it work. For me, mug lathering with large brushes requires large mugs.

For comparison I just checked the size of my biggest mugs. Four of them measure 4.5" ID. Two of those taper down a lot but two are straight down. I also have a few at 4" with little or no taper. Another one that I use as a hot water holder while shaving is 5.5". Someday I might get around to loading two or three pucks into it and use it for the largest brushes, but not yet.

In my 75 year old mind, both of those ways are of more modern adaption. At least from my experience. The way I learned and still use is to lather in the mug on top of the soap. Bowl lathering is too much effort. I've tried face lathering and can't seem to make it work. For me, mug lathering with large brushes requires large mugs.
Problem with lathering from the same bowl you load from is that it wastes a lot of product. If you don't mind washing money down the drain, I guess that is OK. Bowl lathering gives you the most perfect lather, and waste the least amount of product.

Problem with lathering from the same bowl you load from is that it wastes a lot of product. If you don't mind washing money down the drain, I guess that is OK. Bowl lathering gives you the most perfect lather, and waste the least amount of product.

I might try it again sometime.

I am a bowl latherer but prefer a short, wide bowl so that the brush doesn't clank against the sides (hate that sound in the am). Does anybody know what the widest, shallowest bowl was and what were the dimensions?
Pereira Shavery Unbreakable Lather Bowl is approx 3" high and 5.4" wide. I have one and it worked great when I used it. I only face lather. New, I think, they are about $36.00

Affirmative,
I purchased this lot of 3 off eBay about a month ago with a $5 offer, shipping and tax were around $13 so I came out less than $20 for all 3....

View attachment 1085108

That brings back memories. I'm sure that my dad used to have some of these. I will have to have a look on ebay and see if I can pick some up. Such a shaving classic. And I think he used old spice after shave. It was in a white bottle I think. And "Californian Poppy" hair oil. At least that's what I think it was called. I will have to Google to see if they still make that stuff.

This is my late 50’s mug, has a puck of haslinger which is a bit small for the mug.View attachment 1085120

That looks huge. Is it bigger than the three shown above?

Bowl lathering gives you the most perfect lather, and waste the least amount of product.

I'm with you. I like whipping up that rich froth of white lather in the bowl first. It's almost therapeutic!

I picked a few 40s-50s vintage off the bay for 5-10 each. You can squish a cake of Stirling Spice (fairly soft soap) into the bottom and get a nice shave from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I'm not understanding why this wastes product. When I lather a puck in a mug. When I'm done shaving I squeeze the soap out of the brush back into the mug and I don't rinse the mug. The lather that doesn't get used in today's shave gets used the next shave and so on. Whereas if I load from the mug and then go to another bowl to lather, I usually do toss all the extra lather when I "do the dishes".

I'm not understanding why this wastes product. When I lather a puck in a mug. When I'm done shaving I squeeze the soap out of the brush back into the mug and I don't rinse the mug. The lather that doesn't get used in today's shave gets used the next shave and so on. Whereas if I load from the mug and then go to another bowl to lather, I usually do toss all the extra lather when I "do the dishes".

Interesting. So that's how they did it the old way, didn't they? Just left a mugful of unused lather to dry out till the next shaving?

Top Bottom