What's new

Who uses a Zero Water device?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Who uses a Zero Water filter device and what's your take on them? We have well water that is only pH corrected. No really bad tastes, just iron and other minerals, no sulfur or anything nasty. Tastes like well water.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't believe I've heard of that brand, but that don't mean anything. We had the whole house Rain Soft filters for 20 years. It came time to replace them and the well guy we've always used put in Watts brand filter tanks with Clack brand valves (heads) on them. The Clack valves have the digital readout screens instead of the dial you turned with the old Rain Soft brand. They seem to work very well, it's just that they are more complicated to set than the dial ones. He also used some BWI (Better Water Industries) chlorine tablets to shock the well with...a lot easier to use than figuring out your water depth and well casing diameter to convert to how much regular bleach to use on my deep well.

Had to put in a new pressure tank a couple of days ago...pain in the ... as it is bigger (to only hold 2 gallons more) than the one we had. Had to re-plumb the lines to fit and a couple of the old lines broke during install. Had to run to town, the half hour drive one way, to pick up PVC parts. I hate the one hour round trip to town just to pick up a couple of 1/2 inch elbows. I'm dreading when I have to replace the foot valve again...I do not like pulling the well head and dragging all the pipe out of the well...almost 100 feet of pipe.

The tanks we have are: iron and sulphur remover, PH balancer, and water softener.

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

DSC_0006 (2).JPG

We don't have well water - but do have a reverse osmosis system that works great. We have high calcium water and the filters remove everything.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ooops, from what I looked up the Zero is something that filters water out of the tap like Brita, not a whole house personal water treatment plant.

My bad.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I just want to treat what we drink, not bath and wash cloths, water the garden, etc.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I just want to treat what we drink, not bath and wash cloths, water the garden, etc.

Ah unnerstan now. As far as tap water filters go I don't have a clue. Any major brand should work well.

The guy that owned our house before us had only shocked the well from time to time. The water had so much iron, sulphur, and was so acidic that the dishwasher, washing machine, and hot water heater were pretty much shot. The appliances we put in, after we had the water treatment system put in, are still working great and we've been here almost 25 years.

Oh, if you have a water softener that uses salt do not use it to water your garden or house plants...we learned that the hard way. Plants do not like salt water. Our ph balancer uses a sea shell type of medium but the softener uses a salt tank. We have an outside faucet that is directly from the well and doesn't run through the treatment system to water the garden and house plants with. SWMBO killed a few house plants, and I had a couple of Fighting Fish die, until we saw the salt buildup at the base of the plants and figured it out.

I use it, makes tasteless water with no minerals. I enjoy it and will take electrolytes separately if I use it to train. The Zero water won’t have any calcium buildup if used in a kettle or boiled.

It works very well but is not cheap and if your water is very hard you will go through the filters fast. They start to perform poorly and make the water worse when they are well past their useful life.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It works very well but is not cheap and if your water is very hard you will go through the filters fast. They start to perform poorly and make the water worse when they are well past their useful life.

I seem to recall one reviewer who used two pitchers and would double filter in order to extend the life of the filters, using the older, less efficient filter first, but obviously before it had any adverse effect on water taste, so that the final, newer filter was not exposed to as much dissolved solids. It might be a good system to have a larger counter top unit to be filled by a standard sized pitcher.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
So the Zero Water 10 cup pitcher came in today. I was pleasantly surprised to find my well water only had total dissolved solids (TDS) ppm readings in the low 80's. Interestingly enough, the same water after passing through my refrigerators filter for the ice maker/water dispense in the door read in the high 90's (I had just replaced that filter with a new one last month)!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Oh, and the water treated by the ZW filter pitcher did read 000 ppm with the supplied meter. Tasted just like bottled water instead of well water. Not that I dislike the taste of well water. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference in the taste of my morning coffee.

Oh, and the water treated by the ZW filter pitcher did read 000 ppm with the supplied meter. Tasted just like bottled water instead of well water. Not that I dislike the taste of well water. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference in the taste of my morning coffee.

I run it through a carbon filter before using it in the zero water. I did test it with coffee and it does make the coffee taste *worse* especially espresso from a commercial machine (I used a reservoir and pump to test this lol).

Reason being 000 PPM water does not leave the coffee anything to grab onto and leads to very light bitter and flavourless coffee in the case of espresso.

Top Bottom