What's new

Who ties Their Own Fishing Flies?

Okay Gents. I have a friend who is always showing his handiwork on his Facebook page. Let's see pics of your flies. I know you are out there!! :thumbup:

I've been tying for about two months. I'm slowly getting better at it, but still have a habit of crowding the eye if I'm not paying attention. The Bass Pro here has a fly tying course every Wednesday that I've sat in on twice that really helped. I also watched a ton of YouTube videos.

proxy.php

This was half way through my first fly. It came out pretty nice for a first attempt, but ended up in the intercoastal after the line snagged on some vegetation and snapped. I have a few more packed away for fishing that I'll post another time.

be creative when it comes to supplies. christmas tinsel works for flash, and a friend who hunts can be a big resource for feathers and pieces of hides or a taxidermist will sell some left overs. if you know some who raise eggs good for feathers. bead eyes just some old pull chain from a ceiling fan. just keep your eyes open and you could save some bucks.

I've been tying for about two months. I'm slowly getting better at it, but still have a habit of crowding the eye if I'm not paying attention. The Bass Pro here has a fly tying course every Wednesday that I've sat in on twice that really helped. I also watched a ton of YouTube videos.

proxy.php

This was half way through my first fly. It came out pretty nice for a first attempt, but ended up in the intercoastal after the line snagged on some vegetation and snapped. I have a few more packed away for fishing that I'll post another time.
You look like you're well on your way to becoming a fly tying pro!! Great job!

I used to do it around 20 years ago for saltwater surf casting. Still remember catching my first bluefish on a fly I had tied myself. Started using them as teaser droppers on spin casting rigs and they were devastating on the stripers for about 2 seasons. It's one of the things I'd like to get back into.

$WP_20150615_003.jpg$WP_20150615_005.jpgA couple of flies I tied for a competition for a tenkara site I follow. They are tied in hand, no vise. SO maybe not as pretty as I like, but i figure the fish should enjoy them!

Bravo for those who tie in-hand. I use a vise and really love feather wing salmon flies; but I tie them for the wall instead of the water.

$IMG_0922.jpg

This collection is not my work. They were brought back for me by a friend that traveled to Ireland on business. They are from Rogan of Donegal in Ballyshannon, the world's oldest fly shop where the dressers have tied in hand in hand since 1830.
$IMG_0920.jpg
So Rudy you did very well to win your bet from an Irishman.

Top Bottom