What's new

Who taught you?

I never shaved till I joined the US Army in 1990. A few days into basic training, the drill sergeants marched us to a nearby shop-ette and I bought an Atra handle that came with some cartridges and a can of colgate shave cream. I had to figure it out on my own. Seems like yesterday.
I bet the shaves are great.

I'm a fountain pen guy and I read about wetshaving about 13 years ago on a Fountain Pen website. Sounded right up my alley. Found B&B and learned from there!

I went from disliking shaving to looking forward to it!

No one ever taught me how to wet shave. I stumbled on it by myself about 18 years ago. What is cool is I have taught my three boys how to wet shave from their very first shave and they will know no other way of shaving. I hope they pass the same down to their children some day.

Started shaving like the awkward moustache bits around 13. Used one of my Dads probably bic disposables no shaving cream. Didn’t teach me how. He bought me a crappy electric razor. I started shaving “properly” when I got a Mach 3 razor in the mail. 35 now about to start using a safety razor. After couple years of wanting one. That’s my journey of learning on my own and now through YouTube and Badger and Blade.

Started shaving like the awkward moustache bits around 13. Used one of my Dads probably bic disposables no shaving cream. Didn’t teach me how. He bought me a crappy electric razor. I started shaving “properly” when I got a Mach 3 razor in the mail. 35 now about to start using a safety razor. After couple years of wanting one. That’s my journey of learning on my own and now through YouTube and Badger and Blade.
Hope it works out for you, take your time, good luck

Many of us...of a certain age...did not learn shaving from some patriarchal figurehead.

Awesome username. I’m old enough to remember the show. Lol.

Thanks, mate. It's my all-time favourite show and manga. I am originally from Macedonia. When I registered here, there was the matter of renaming Macedonia to North Macedonia. Was then an easy one with the user name. :biggrin:

PS: I also have all the digital manga volumes in English. PM me if you're interested.

PPS: On a German shaving forum I got even banned by a Greek moderator! Apparently he was scared ****less. :cornut:

Last edited:
Started using a Sensor at 15.

At 19 I tried to use a dovo SR, but this did not work. Probably was not sharp enough. Then many years with Mach 3 and now I'm here.

br
godek

When I was 15 (1976) my Grandfather gave me his old Superspeed and showed me how to shave. He had just purchased a new Super Adjustable. I was also given an old boar brush and some Old Spice soap. and that's how I shaved unless I was carrying on luggage post 9/11. I bought whatever soap was available and I became friends with a man who owned a small private pharmacy/drug store. He brought in Tabac for me. I didn't discover the wet shaving world till my beloved Superspeed, now a late 70's black handle started to show signs of disintegration. Looking online for a replacement I stumbled upon B & B and wow!

When I was 15 (1976) my Grandfather gave me his old Superspeed and showed me how to shave. He had just purchased a new Super Adjustable. I was also given an old boar brush and some Old Spice soap. and that's how I shaved unless I was carrying on luggage post 9/11. I bought whatever soap was available and I became friends with a man who owned a small private pharmacy/drug store. He brought in Tabac for me. I didn't discover the wet shaving world till my beloved Superspeed, now a late 70's black handle started to show signs of disintegration. Looking online for a replacement I stumbled upon B & B and wow!
Same boat my father taught me in 1970 or 71 with a gillette tto de and gillette super stainless blades. I am so glad I started shaving before trac 2 or any other cartridge razors came out, I had to learn to get good with a de, no Choice.

Started at age 12 in mid 1994.

Picked my razor. World Cup blue Gillette sensor. Before they added rubber fins that tug.

I used my dad’s Gillette foam.

I think he supervised the first time.

I had an idea how to do it since my dad had been shaving my sideburns for much of my childhood. He was technically my “barber”.

Started at age 12 in mid 1994.

Picked my razor. World Cup blue Gillette sensor. Before they added rubber fins that tug.

I used my dad’s Gillette foam.

I think he supervised the first time.

I had an idea how to do it since my dad had been shaving my sideburns for much of my childhood. He was technically my “barber”.
Very nice Memories, gillette sensor nice razor.

I was given a pack disposables and probably some vague verbal instruction and then when I used them up I bought a Mach 3 or something. I don’t really remember what it was.

When I switched I learned a good bit by trial and error and eventually when I was out buying shaving soap one of the employees at the store recommended geofatboy. And from there of course I discovered the forums.

Oddly enough I once tried to teach my dad how to shave (with a DE). Didn’t really catch on though.

I don't remember the exact age but somewhere around 15 I think (mid-2000s). As far as how I decided to start, I think my parents decided it was time for me to shave. I think it was mainly my mother who taught me but with minimal instruction. I think I started with a Mach 3. I didn't have very thick beard growth at that point, mainly peach fuzz so the Mach 3 and goo in a can worked for me for a while. As my beard started to grow thicker around me neck and chin, i eventually moved up to a Gillette Fusion. I remember being so excited about it. I used the Fusion for probably 4 years or until got tired of paying for cartridges. One cartridge would only stay somewhat comfortable for me for maybe 3 or 4 shaves. I can't remember how I stumbled upon it but I remember sometime during my senior year of college finding the intro to wet shaving video from Mantic 59. I learned more from his channel than I ever learned from my parents. I got a cheap DE razor started kit and hardy looked back. I went through a phase in grad school when time was at a premium where I tried electrics and even went briefly back to the Fusion but electrics didn't do a very good job for me- i looked presentable but it wasn't ever smooth. The Fusion caused a bunch of irritation and i was just miserable. Thats when I found forums and more videos by guys like Geofatboy and I really delved into DE wet shaving and invested in an upgraded razor (34C), a nice brush, and quality creams. I've never looked back.

I look forward to one day having a son of my own that I can pass down my wet shaving knowledge to.

Top Bottom