What's new

Who taught you?

I grew up with a father that never to my knowledge ever used anything except an electric razor. I didn't really need to shave until I was about 18 at which point I went into the military. I was provided a can of goo and a handful of disposable razors when I joined and ultimately purchased my own electric after boot camp. The only thing learned about shaving was from watching everyone else.

At some point I read an article in a men's magazine about how to shave with a straight razor. I pretty much ignored the razor part, but was really intrigued about the section that went into detail on how one can use shaving soap to the extent that "you too can use the same prep at home to make your shave better. The same prep that a professional barber uses before he shaves you...". So, I picked up a box set of Burma-Shave which gave me the soap, mug, and brush. I was using that along with a Gillette two blade Sensor. It was okay and I basically dismissed it as taking too long to prep and I really didn't get much better shaves from it anyway. So back to electric razors I went. I don't remember what it was that caught my eye about using a safety razor but it's only been within the last two years or so that I started wet shaving again. So to answer the question of who taught me, I guess the best answer I can give is, well... me.

I was given an electric foil razor for Christmas or my birthday around 13 or 14 years old in the early 90s. For some reason, maybe around 16 or 17 I got a Mach 3 and used that until the Fusions came out, then ‘upgraded’. My wife bought me a DE razor for Sally beauty store and a VDH starter set w/the brush, cup and soap. I’d made a few offhand comments about wanting to get one someday but wasn’t all that serious and was surprised when it was under the Christmas tree about 5 years back. I can’t recall anyone ever helping me or teaching me what to do and YouTube wasn’t really a thing back when I started with the Mach 3... which I actually think was better than the Fusion in a lot of ways.

My father passed a few years ago at 72. I never saw him in life without a full beard. He said (jokingly) over the year’s when I prodded him about shaving, when he died, I was welcome to shave him... but I figured seeing my father lying at the viewing clean shaven would have put her over the edge.

His last year was the year I started wet shaving. I know he thought it was kind of neat, though almost odd... as his last times shaving had been with disposables as a special deputy in the 1970s from what he’d said. I have a very nice Slim Adjustable I had prettied and fixed up from a nice fella off here. I’m ashamed to say I’ve only used it a few times. Still... I got it back and showed my dad and he thought it was amazing how great it looked and acknowledged with a ‘great piece of technology’ it had been at the time.

Myself! My dad uses (or used, he's got a beard now) cartridges, and I switched to DE.

lots of trial and error, but I believe I got it almost right! I just get a few bumps and cuts still, but it overall is a much more easy and pleasant experience

I remember being silently given a Mach 3 and a tube of some atrocious sort of cream - with no further ceremony or instruction. I figured out on my own that starting with ATG meant horrible things, and going WTG meant less horrible things. I was always either still so spiny I tore up all of my shirt collars, or when I did too much I was smooth-ish except for all of the nasty rash, burn and irritation.

I had a brief stint with a couple of electrics (aka face mowers), but it was even worse than carts.

Shaving was such a dismal experience that when my wife one day said "oh I don't mind a beard" I threw that mach 3 right in the trash. I had a full beard for 10 years before I found some online articles mentioning DE razors as the best way to shave sensitive skin. I ended up trying it and was instantly hooked. I looked up lots of videos, Matt from razor emporium, the clean shaver, geo fat boy, Ken surfs, and the Scottish guy from Executive Shaving all contributed for sure.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

geofatboy about 9 years ago. Learned the basics from his videos and adjusted my technique to fit me over the years.

My father was a DE guy but moved to Norelco after carts started taking over in the early 80s. He thought carts were overpriced. He bought me a Norelco for Christmas in 87 to start shaving, taught me how he used his but I had too much irritation even with the oils and had to jump to carts soon after.

9 years ago, I read an article about DE shaving while thinking about giving straights a try. Went with DE and bought my EJ DE89. CVS blades were terrible for me until I learned better and ordered blades online, almost gave up DE with those blades.

Before my father died, he couldn’t believe I liked DE shaving so much and was amazed they still sold DE blades after they disappeared from most stores in the 1980s. His Super Speed and Fatboy were long gone by the time I got into DE and after he died, I bought those out of curiosity and down the rabbit hole I went. My profile picture is the same approximate year Super Speed he had. I cut myself something fierce as a 4 year old with it and my mother gave him hell. Had my Fatboy fascination first but had to get that Super Speed also.

My dad was a great guy, but shaving was not his strong suit. He seemed to use more toilet paper than shave cream. He use a Shick injector and Old Spice soap/mug with a brush. When I was ready to shave, he bought me a black Slim and some can of goo. He gave a few instructions, not many, and turned me loose. Bring a young guy, I figured that real men would have that razor set on 9, so I set mine there. that did not work out too well, but dad had no experience with an adjustable, so I was in my own. A non-adjustable would have worked better Fo me at that time, but that is not what I had.

At about that time, Gillette came out with the Track 2. I got one and could shave without getting cut, so I stayed with carts for many years. Only when a system I was using got phased out and the new system was going to cost a fortune, did I rethink what I was doing.

I have taught my son to use a DE, brush and soap, but he prefers the ease of carts and could not care less about shave quality. For many years he would “shave” with the clippers I got him for haircuts - leaves the stubble. He is now 25 and has a full, and rather long, beard. I will share the wet shaving experience with my grandson(s) and maybe they will take to it - time will tell as the oldest is 5.

This is a great string, thanks for starting it..!! Before posting my few cents, I would like to ask you a question (Potrzebie, who started this string): are you asking this with some kind of research project in mind, or are you plainly curious..?
Anyway, a brief version of my story is as follows:
I first started shaving when I was 19, and decided to quit my `hippie look' (beard on long hair..!). This was on an extended trip to south asia, where `hippie looks' were not welcome. I knew nothing about shaving, found a cheap DE razor in a local store, and started shaving. In short, I made all the mistakes you can make, and had an awful experience..!! But I also found out that for a few rupies, you could have a great straight razor shave in a local barbershop, complete with alun block, face massage and aftershave... bliss...!
Then, on and off, I have picked up elements of traditional wetshaving again over the years, first falling in love with shaving brushes and `real' lather in my mid twenties (but sticking with disposable cartridge razors), and more recently, starting up yet again in more dedicated fashion, with Youtube as my teacher, by now about four years ago.
This time around, three things can be said to inspire my persistence with the hobby:
One, I love getting lost in a perfect shave, it is like meditation, my Zen timeout. I also love to keep learning, keep perfecting my shaving knowledge and skills.
Two, I deliberately started wet shaving (again, four years ago), as a way to quit nicotine (snuff) ...! Whenever I got the craving for nicotine (snuff), I allowed myself to indulge in all things `shaving', going nuts in shaving equipment, as long as I stayed off nicotine. Four years on, I can say, it worked..!! I am off nicotine. However, now I am hooked on shaving...!
Third, I am fascinated with the way an online community can thrive around a common focus on wet shaving. I am a social scientist by training, and my professional curiosity is piqued, although so far I have been determined to keep this strictly a hobby. (This is why I asked you the question at the outset... ) This is another (partial) reason why I keep attending to online sources on shaving ... the `lore' of shaving fascinates me.
Thanks for sharing, everybody...

Geez y'all making me feel like a baby...well I started likely around my late teens? Didnt care for it but I have patchy hair. I used electric for a while until my parents tried getting me into shaving that i tried the multi cartridge and it just didn't work out. I looked into how to shave as a black man cause i got a lot of ingrowns. as well as my hair was very course and the gillette cartidges only worked for so long until you had to pay $36 for more. So as a college student who's cheap I wanted a way to take care of myself while also being affordable. I always liked the old ways of things (history nut) so it was gonna happen at some point.

I looked into it and found men like Nick Shaves, GeoFatboy, among other youtubers and that's how I found this site. My dad uses cartridge and Barbasol shave foam, and his way doesn't work for me. I remember my mom having me put. Alcohol on my face but that just irritated me and made my skin even more dry. You could say I'm a modern DE shaver as I learned from the internet rather than from father to son. My grandfather shaved however both don't speak English and are states away or deceased by the time I started. I got a weishi long handle and stsrted going through razors. It was a bloody fight tryna see what worked and just as soon as i thought i found the one, I lose my razor at school (I shave in the locker room). So I looked for a new razor as well as an upgrade. I go around EBay and find an adjustable Gillette 85, and I'm a simple guy, so I don't see myself switching to multiple razors. The Gillette gave me everything I needed. A few more bloody fights and I find that Feather and Astra are the fit for me (or any blade that's very sharp. As I got better, I decided to shave my head when my sis gave me a bad haircut (I don't care to manage my hair with brushing and mess). It helped feed my shave addiction if you will.

One day showering my dad saw my razor (this is after a year of shaving) and tells me how i could hurt myself, and i told him "yeah but I got the hang of it", and I told him how my head and face looks and that it's fine as it is. He doesn't know how to use it an if he did i would have to be the one to teach him if anything. He is heavy handed as he was rough when cutting my hair and I told jim if he isnt gentle he will cut himself. He's happy with his cartridge and I'm happy with DE and i might go straight just for the challenge in due time.

Recently I met a man who was a shave guy for black folks who met me at a Family dollar Who picked me out as a young man with a just shaved face and gave me a list of ideas on how to change my shaving routine and I took him as BS as it had shaving gel (edge, which is ok) and disposable Bic razors. However I did take his advice on using Shea butter stick as like a pre shave and it worked great! I know a lot gents prefer the classic way, however this was the best for me and my head and face have never felt better. As I've seen on this forum it's these minor tweeks we make to our routine that make it not just a morning or night procedure but an enjoyable hobby that we can share.

So in the end I taught myself how to shave. With the help of you folks as well as the site gave me insight as to how to shave WTG, preffered shave Creams\Soaps and so on.

-And that's how I saved Christmas.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Potrzebie:
Q. Hmmm...you ask..."Who taught you?"
proxy.php

My dearly departed Father (who I considered a great gentlemen and Dad), taught me. :wink:

I remember that I didn't start out shaving until after high school (I'm sure there was 'peach-fuzz'...just don't know how much).

I'm sure one day I asked him, just as sure as I remember my Father taught me (in his own way...The Zen of Shaving), how to DE shave (using the 'step-by-step & talk-though' method of instruction), when I was a 'young pup'.

I fondly remember he gave me a Gillette razor (don't remember the type or have it anymore...must of been a Super Speed, but got lost 'in the shuffle' of PCS moves & deployments), a Ever-Ready Brush, (don't remember the name of the blades), Williams Soap, an Old Spice mug and Clubman AS. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others". Author Unknown

PS I later taught my son's in the art of wet-shaving.

Last edited:
It was around 1978, I was 14. My dad gave me his old twist to open DE (think it was a Gillette) and got himself something else. That was the extent of my education in shaving. I had to figure it ALL out by myself.

.....and I did.

Eventually. 😊

I was a late bloomer to shaving and only started a couple years ago. I started out with the disposable BIC razors that come in a pack of 6 for $1 and I used bar soap for lather. needless to say it would get clogged after one stroke and I would have to de-clog it to continue shaving. I figured that if I used something with a single blade it would eliminate clogging so I looked at shavettes and straight razors. I did not want to spend a lot on SR's and I never had an interest in DE's so I got the Equinox shavette on amazon for about $10. I watched a lot of videos on youtube from Razor Emporium, Executive shave (the Scottish guy), and many more. I got a proraso travel shave kit to learn wet shaving which I am a fan of to this day and I continued to use my shavette until my transition into straights which happened about a month ago

Care to share to a Fellow head shaver?

oh gosh, it has been a few decades at least, so I can’t be sure which came from him. I think largely it was stretching skin, direction according to hair growth, and proper hydration of the hair. He discussed starting at the top and front as best I recall and doing first pass with the grain, working to the sides next, then to the rear. Sorry I can’t be more exact. I was using straights and he may have been using D/E or other.

oh gosh, it has been a few decades at least, so I can’t be sure which came from him. I think largely it was stretching skin, direction according to hair growth, and proper hydration of the hair. He discussed starting at the top and front as best I recall and doing first pass with the grain, working to the sides next, then to the rear. Sorry I can’t be more exact. I was using straights and he may have been using D/E or other.
Hahai taught myself to go on that direction as well. Glad I'm not far off!

I never shaved till I joined the US Army in 1990. A few days into basic training, the drill sergeants marched us to a nearby shop-ette and I bought an Atra handle that came with some cartridges and a can of colgate shave cream. I had to figure it out on my own. Seems like yesterday.

Top Bottom