What's new

Who taught you to use a DE razor and how

I learned incorrectly on my own. I got my grandfather's old Gillette sensor and a can of noxzema sensitive and a pat on the back. It wasn't too bad at the time, I was 12 and only really had a mustache, but by the time I was 14 it was awful. Then I turned 18 and Gillette sent me a fusion. The irritation wasn't any less and the cost was worse. I was looking for bulk cartridges on Amazon when I found derby blades. I didn't know DE blades were still produced, but the prices were awesome so I looked into the razors. That's how I found B&B and Mantic's videos, and actually learned what I was doing wrong and how to correct it.

I taught myself how to shave with a DE after watching hrs of videos on Youtube. And of course reading topics from this forum. My dad showed me how to shave with a can of goo and a twin blade Gillette disposable.

Some great stories, thanks for sharing.

I don't remember from where I was linked to it, but an instructional post on the site The Art of Manliness set me in the right direction. I then found B&B and have been improving ever since.

Learned from watching Nick Shaves and Geofatboy on YouTube and through trial and error. I immediately liked using a DE razor the minute I got my hands on one. :001_cool:

I taught myself, having watched YouTube videos and read a few posts on here. Angle and pressure had the most info to glean online, but building a lather took a lot of time and practice.

Honestly, I don't remember if my dad taught me how to shave with a cartridge razor or not. I have a very vague memory of him telling me that downward is with the grain, but it might be a false memory.

Having read through this thread, I really look forward to creating memories for my sons. I want to walk them through lathering and each aspect of putting blade to skin. My oldest is seven, though, so I've got a while yet. I'll probably be teaching my wife long before I teach them.

My dad always used an electric shaver. My beard was heavier than his, and by the time I was 16 I was getting ingrown hairs on my neck. After a time I switched to carts. First the Trac II and then the Sensor. I shaved that way for 40 years, avoiding shaving on weekends and holidays, whenever possible. It was a necessary chore.

I stumbled across two key sources of information before I made the jump to DE, (and the reason I made the move). One site was called Shaving 101, and the other Badger and Blade. I read every Wiki on this site. That lasted about 4 weeks.
The very first time I shaved with my Muhle R89 and the blade that came with it, there was not so much as a weeper. I took my time, let the blade do the work and realized that I would have to repeat the exercise multiple times to get the proper angle consistently. The first week's shaves were not the closest shaves I'd ever gotten, but they were the most comfortable. By week three, I was also getting the close shaves as well. It has been a smooth ride ever since. My styptic pencil is still in the original packaging.

Four months later, I am still reviewing posts and picking up helpful suggestions from B&B members. That's who taught me to shave.

Last edited:
I got a razor from Gillette in the mail, and taught myself. Probably why I hated shaving for so long. Getting into DE wet shaving was some web reading, and refined by youtube videos and practice. It was helpful to see how to make good lather.

Watching my grandfathers shave. With one, always waiting for the aftershave slash he would put on my face at the end. I still use that aftershave though no longer available commercially. Hording it. And when I restarted DE after the cart interregnum looking at the videos. Always used a brush and Noxema shave cream when I could get it but never was good with the DE razor in terms of technique. I had Slims and Fatboy's for the most part and always had them way to aggressive and as a result nicked myself a lot. Really did not have the progressive reduction thing going on. Today technique is perfect, never nick myself and can get a close shave with anything. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Top Bottom