What's new

Who still likes the Trac II?

Does anyone here use the Trac II or Atra systems from the 70s as a daily driver?
I find them comparable to a mild DE, and I usually need to do several passes with them.

It's just hard to find 2-blade razors unless if they're those junky plastic disposables

I have a Gillette Sensor Excel that I bring out when my face needs a rest from DE razors. For me it is easier to use and more forgiving than DE's and you can still buy the genuine cartridges (German made and also Chinese made) for it as well as the razor itself (the original not the cheap Indian knock off) if you look around.

Not my daily driver but I have a 1980 Trac II I use when I'm traveling. I get perfectly acceptable shaves from it, I just prefer a DE when I'm at home.

I bought a Trac II for traveling based on the recommendations it got here. Frankly it's a damn nice little system. And I find the blades are not hard to find.

While true blue Gillette blades are more expensive at the grocery than DE blades, they're quite a bit cheaper than Mach 3 carts. I kept my old Mach 3 for travel for a long time.

While I don't use it as a daily driver, I could if it became necessary.

Hi,

I didn't like the T-II much back when it was what Gillette was stuffing mailboxes with. Nor the Atra, or the Sensor. The Mach-III I did keep the handle to, but I didn't keep the Fusion. The M3 I rather liked the look of once I had stripped the plastic off of it so it was an all metal handle. Sort of funky art, but not really for shaving with. Until, that is, I wound up no longer being able to carry a better razor onto an airplane....

Stan

I'm a big fan of the Trac II. I use the real Gillette cartridges on a heavy, all-metal handle, and normally get great shaves. Put the same cartridges on a cheap plastic handle, though, and the results are not nearly as good.

I don't 'like' either. BUT these are fine for air travel IMO when going with a DE is risky since I am typically a 'one-bag' traveler.

I use my Trac II once in awhile. I still have my Trac II I bought around 1975 but I also purchased an all metal one. I like the weight of the metal one. You can buy blades all over.

$Trac II_Ems.jpg

I believe that the Trac II or GII in Europe is perhaps the greatest shaving implement Gillette still sells. I get irritation free BBS two pass shaves everytime. I use the original plastic and metal handle, but i have been thinking about upgrading

I believe that the Trac II or GII in Europe is perhaps the greatest shaving implement Gillette still sells. I get irritation free BBS two pass shaves everytime. I use the original plastic and metal handle, but i have been thinking about upgrading

I find the Etsy's site has a nice selection. That's where I got this one from.

Trac II is the only cartridge razor I've ever liked. I found a bunch of Personna Trac II blades on eBay for a good price. The next time I fly with nothing but a carry-on, I plan to give them a try. Until then, it DEs for me.

I have never tried the the trac II as I am a bit young but I do remember liking the sensor excel quite a bit when I was a teen but back then I didn't have near the facial hair I do today and I was suckered in to all of the different mach3s and fusions and sheik hydros and such so I haven't revisited the sensors but reading some of these post makes me want to try some of the older cart systems as a back up to my DE razors in the event I do need to do some air travel or something.

I have never tried the the trac II as I am a bit young but I do remember liking the sensor excel quite a bit when I was a teen but back then I didn't have near the facial hair I do today and I was suckered in to all of the different mach3s and fusions and sheik hydros and such so I haven't revisited the sensors but reading some of these post makes me want to try some of the older cart systems as a back up to my DE razors in the event I do need to do some air travel or something.

I believe you can still buy the Sensor on Amazon for a good price.

I believe you can still buy the Sensor on Amazon for a good price.

You have to be careful not to buy the newer thick handled razor which is a piece of junk and get the old original thin Gillette Sensor Excel handle. I bought a second one for a spare from South Korea on Ebay.

You have to be careful not to buy the newer thick handled razor which is a piece of junk and get the old original thin Gillette Sensor Excel handle. I bought a second one for a spare from South Korea on Ebay.

So the "new" style ones that has a fusion look to it are bad? When I go to get one one day I will look for the one like I had back in high school.

The thicker one with the diagonal blue grip pieces in the all plastic handle is the new one made in India or Malaysia or somewhere. It's cheap but poorly made. I bought one and shaved with it but it doesn't hold the cartridge in place securely and is junk. Here is a link to the Ebay page listing for Gillette Sensor Excel razors. You should be able to clearly see the difference between the two types::

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...RS0&_nkw=gillette+sensor+excel+razor&_sacat=0

Last edited:
I have to get a Trac II to try. Never used one. I recently bought a NOS Gillette Sensor Excel off of ebay for about $40. I use the original sensor cartridges (not the excel cartridges) and get them from my local dollar store. Recently they had them on clearance for $5 for 5 cartridges. Bought 4 packs. I use it about once a week, so I'm good for a while.

I don't remember using a Trac II. I have used Atra, Sensor Excel and Mach 3. Once I moved on from one to the next I never went back. Before starting with DE I was using the Mach 3 and still do when traveling by air. But when at home or on the road it is always a DE.

Top Bottom