What's new

Who says Williams Mug Shaving Soap does not lather?

To me, it seems really easy to get good lather, i didnt have the puck submerged in water overnight, i just have the brush soaked in water while i shower and drop few water drops on the soap, load it up then lather in a bowl, i always get a slick, cushion-y and most of all, lasting lather. For $1.98 CDN, i believe this is a great shaving soap.

20170420_102130.jpg
20170420_102137.jpg

IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG
To me, it seems really easy to get good lather, i didnt have the puck submerged in water overnight, i just have the brush soaked in water while i shower and drop few water drops on the soap, load it up then lather in a bowl, i always get a slick, cushion-y and most of all, lasting lather. For $1.98 CDN, i believe this is a great shaving soap.

View attachment 783523
View attachment 783524
No difficulty for my part, the soap gave me good shaves, so it put's me on the part who likes it

View attachment 783523
View attachment 783524

I like Williams. Those pictures seem to show sudsy, airy lather. Am I miskaken?

I find it a bit airy and likely to fade, but it shaves just fine. Super slick, and slick is all that counts in shaving soap.

It is a rather divisive substance on the forum though....

Peter

It may lather but I'm in the can't stand it camp. Yeah it's slick but so are many other soaps that don't require as much work and don't smell like bug spray. There's not a whole lot of shave soaps I can't stand but Williams is at the top of my list.

I hated it at first, but found submerging it in water while the brush is soaking works fantastic. Takes no time to lather and I've compared with TofOBS, Col Conk, etc. The smell is what it is - either like it or hate it, but you can't beat the price. I find it WAY better than other low end soaps like Wilki's. Technique is just lots of water! 30 second whip and i don't have the big bubbles and lather lasts. Definitely in my rotation.

Lathering wasn't the problem, it irritated my skin. The best way I was able to get an easy lather was to run it under a cheese grater, smoosh it all down then add boiling water and let it sit for a while. Then drain and let it cool, stick it in the fridge. afterwards it'll resemble the consistency of rubber and lather super easy. No pre-soaking for 10 minutes required, just add hot water and do your thing.

I like Williams. Those pictures seem to show sudsy, airy lather. Am I miskaken?

Interesting observation.

Clicked through a 'show me your lather' thread on the weekend trying to find something to expand my horizons. Was pretty surprised at all chest pounding going on with the high dollar soaps, compared to Williams anyway, with airy and bubbly lather. Kind of funny really.

I don't think Williams is any different than the rest of the soaps. If you run it too wet it'll thin and bubble. Maybe Williams has a narrow sweet spot, I don't know. I don't have any problem sneaking up on a thick lather with my well water. I face lather and don't beat the brush to death while whipping it up. The only other soap I've tried worth buying so far is MdC. Anything else I've tried destroys my skin or just flat doesn't lather in my water. As always YMMV!

Last edited:
It works for me as well. It is not a favorite, but I have a couple of pucks and use it every now and again when the mood strikes.

I have noticed the the freshness of the soap matters a lot. I have gotten pucks from amazon that were obviously old and a little discolored that were very hard to get a good lather. i have a local supermarket that stocks williams, and the pucks pinkish off-white color and a little softer than some of the old pucks. The fresh puck load and lather like a dream, and i have very hard water. I don't think hard water matter as much a people are led to believe.

No problem with the old formula. However, the new Williams does not work for me - unless I spend 30 minutes making lather. One discontinued soap from Caswell-Massey and the new Williams are the ONLY two soaps that don't work for me.

I gave Williams a good try. Couldn't get it to work, so I moved on. Kudos to those of you who can get it going and like it.

Top Bottom