What's new

Who Rides a Motorcycle? B&B bikeweek!

Started my season today!

My prerequisites were met (temps in the mid 40's and no snow on the roads...), so I took the battery off the tender, checked the fluid levels, tires, brakes, et al, and fired her up.

While the scenery in western Wisconsin isn't much to look at this time of year (dingy snow), it was great to be back in the saddle! Looking forward to another great (read: safe) season of riding!

Finally got back onboard after a 13 year hiatus...........

2001 Victory 92c now in me garage

Although our riding season here is only about 11.5 months a year, I'll try to get as much time as possible in the saddle :thumbup:

Here are a few of my bikes...

1997 Harley Springer that's been breathed on a bit... "No officer, I don't know who made that C-shaped black mark on the pavement..."

proxy.php

2003 Suzuki DRZ400S that I recently sold.

proxy.php

2000 KTM Duke II that I recently sold.

proxy.php

And my favorite, the 2006 KTM Adventure, or "BIG MAMA" as I refer to her! (The birdbath in the background isn't mounted to the bike or on fire - the sprinkler was running!)

proxy.php

can anyone recommend a good starter bike for someone just getting into motorcycles? I absolutely love the Triumph Thruxton, but i'm guessing that's too much motorcycle for a noob like myself. I don't know how to ride a motorcycle, but should I ever get a license it'd be nice to know what I should start out with rather than buy something that's out of my league

can anyone recommend a good starter bike for someone just getting into motorcycles? I absolutely love the Triumph Thruxton, but i'm guessing that's too much motorcycle for a noob like myself. I don't know how to ride a motorcycle, but should I ever get a license it'd be nice to know what I should start out with rather than buy something that's out of my league

I am no expert but I highly recommend sticking to the smaller bikes. They can get away from you awfully bloody fast, especially when you're new. If you are doing mostly town riding I would thing nothing bigger than a 650. I started on a 750 but did a lot of highway too. I think the 750 was great. The only reason I really want anything bigger is for a passenger and long trips. But I am interested to see what the people that actually know what they're talking about say.

I am no expert but I highly recommend sticking to the smaller bikes. They can get away from you awfully bloody fast, especially when you're new. If you are doing mostly town riding I would thing nothing bigger than a 650. I started on a 750 but did a lot of highway too. I think the 750 was great. The only reason I really want anything bigger is for a passenger and long trips. But I am interested to see what the people that actually know what they're talking about say.

Wow this thread is still going!

When I started riding a 750 was a superbike. Plenty of guys used 450-550 bikes and tore it up.

Last edited:
Wow this tread is still going!

When I started riding a 750 was a superbike. Plenty of guys used 450-550 bikes and tore it up.

I know. In fact, my bike was a 72 Honda CB750 Four. That was the biggest bike on the road at the time. I guess I have the spoiled. Even my old 750 didn't compare to a modern one but it was perfect for just me running around. :cool:

Hi my name is Tyler and I have a problem. Im a bike-a-holic.

I have 4 now and permission to have another from SWMBO.

It all started when I was 8 witha 73 Hodaka and a brief affair with a Honda Fat Cat.

I have since evolved to more shiney things and currently have a KTM 450 EXC, KTM 690 Enduro R with a SM setup, Husqvarna WR125 and a saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Kawi 440 LTD that I bought for 50 bucks from a buddy...

I dont need help though, as you cant have enough bikes... or Land Cruisers for that matter...

I would have thought motorcycles would have fallen into "the great outdoors"...

Tyler

Last edited:
When we got our tax return this year, we did the usual divvying-up of funds (a third for savings, a third for me and a third for her). I decided I was sick of our ginormous, ancient TV, so I spent my part on a new HDTV and a Blu-ray player. She spent her part on a... 1981 Yamaha SR250. That doesn't quite run. But she's committed to it. I'm still not sure if my man-pride can handle it...it'll take balls of thunder to ride on the back with her, I can tell you that. I'm not quite there yet.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My bikes have been off road for 13 years. I recently started the process of getting them road ready for sale. My 1994 Honda Magna 750 V4 has a fuel leak, but is otherwise perfect. My wife's 1995 Harley Sportster 1200 started on the first click, and appears to be just fine with 204 original miles on it. Even though they haven't been used in the longest time, it's going to be hard to let them go.

I'm only passenger on a motorbike, but I really like the look of the sport ones and smaller ones. I'm not much for the traditional looking Harley Davidson myself. It's just fun to be on one.

The Triumph Thruxton would make a great starter bike. It's light & nibble & nowhere near as powerful as a sport bike. Engine size is deceiving, a 600cc bike can be more powerful then a larger displacement bike. For example, most 600cc sport bikes are over 115 hp. The Thuxton at 865cc is about 68 hp. Type of bike & engine play an important part of what makes a beginner motorcycle.
I sell motorcycles for a living, I'm the Sales Manager of a BMW, Ducati & Triumph dealer here in Florida. I'm very careful of selling the correct bike to beginners. There are a lot of things to consider, your physical size, type of riding you want to do, terrain you'll be doing it in, the type of bike (there many, some pretty specialized) etc...
PM me if you have any questions...

Last edited:
Well been riding since I was six or seven. Right now I have a CR250 two stroke and a "slightly" modified GSX1300R. 300 HP on the back tire with race gas and 20 psi of boost. Street tune is 7 lbs with 93 octane and about 240 HP. Plan to moving to E85 soon as allot of "Boosted" guys are doing. BTW this is not a beginer bike!

proxy.php

Bolt on's are long gone, running a nine inch over chrome-moly arm now but and going to shorten it back up a bit. Turns like a tractor!

Last edited:
I ride a Ninja 250.
Shes not the biggest or the baddest bike out there, but I get where I'm going. :biggrin1:

proxy.php

I think its just like starting out shaving. Start with something less aggressive and learn your technique. I know alot of guys that start with big bikes and I can ride circles around em in the twisties. Sure they can out accelerate and their top speed I cant match, but the first turn they hit I'm past em.

Good ol Arlo. I love that song. I have been listening to that since my dad played it for me when I was 5.
Classic. I like Alice's Restaurant too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom