What's new

Who never really got into the RAD thing?

I haven't.

I maintain 2 residences and have a couple razors in each, couple brushes and a modest supply of blades (Personna Meds only) and software. I got on a kick when I first started of trying different aftershaves so I do have 6-7 bottles, but I reach for Dominica Bay Rum 80% of the time.

The more I keep up with this the fewer items in my "collection" I actually use. I enjoy the shave more than the equipment I use.

I got deep into razors, but one thing that hasn't bit me yet is the brush bug. I've got 1 boar and 1 badger.

Teach me your wisdom... When all my current orders come in I'll have 6 razors, 6 soaps, and 2 brushes (1 SOC and 1 Finest Badger)

I went pretty deep for me, not for some, and suppose I have cycled through about 15 or 16 razors in about 6 months. I am moving myself back down to have 2 razors, 1 Gillette NEW at home and 1 Gillette Travel Tech in my Dopp kit. I think that ought to be about enough.

I had happily used one razor for a while until I bought a fatboy and flaretip as a set. Then RAD kicked in

I haven't bought anything in over a year, but still plan to add to the collection. I think the fact they aren't making them anymore and more people seem to be interested in them keeps nudging me to get back on the B/S/T. Wouldn't mind trying a straight one of these days either.

I also have been meaning to try some blades I have yet to use. The Personna Med Preps, Polisilver, and Gillette Silver Blue. Probably settle on one or two after that. Right now my go-to is Astras after Iridium went away.

I have one home razor and one travel razor. Both are great performers. I don't think adding more razors gives me better shaves.

I'm slowly moving in that direction. I've been at this for less than 2 years so I still consider myself to be in the "trying out" phase.

I've bought and sold 8 razors and am currently holding 5. Of the 5, I'm pretty certain I'll be selling at least 1, possibly 2. I have 2 brushes, one of which is never used and is slated for a future PIF. I do have about 6 years worth of blades. I think I started out with a sampler of less than 50 blades but accumulated a lot by trading other stuff I didn't want or they were part of a razor buy. I don't look to blades for variety and could easily settle for one brand of any number of blades.

I like a little variety by switching up razors every now and then but where I look for variety the most is with soaps/creams and aftershaves. This is where I'm trying things out the most right now. I have 4 creams, 3 soaps and 6 soap samples. I have 4 aftershaves and 3 balms. I'm not overly concerned about limiting myself here, I like the variety.

Down the road, I can see myself with 3 razors, 1 brand of blade at a time, 1 brush, 3-4 soaps and/or creams and 3-4 aftershaves. It's not exactly minimalist but probably would be compared to a lot of guys here.

I haven't.

I maintain 2 residences and have a couple razors in each, couple brushes and a modest supply of blades (Personna Meds only) and software. I got on a kick when I first started of trying different aftershaves so I do have 6-7 bottles, but I reach for Dominica Bay Rum 80% of the time.

The more I keep up with this the fewer items in my "collection" I actually use. I enjoy the shave more than the equipment I use.

I wish I had your discipline.........BTW, the Personna Med Preps are my favorite blade by far.

When I started I got into it, but found it became a bit of a hassle. Owned a bunch of razors, brushes, and was always trying a new cream or soap. Thing was, I was pretty much always disappointed with most of the soaps and creams compared to the stuff that was really performing for me, which was anything from Queen Charlotte Soaps. So these days all I own are the QSC creams, four of them to be exact, just to have some variety with scent, and one razor (Mergress XL) and a Semogue 1305 brush, ad a couple boxes of Astra blades that I bought a couple years ago, and sold everything else. Much happier now, my shaves are more consistent and predictable, and for well over the last year have been very content with this set up and ave had no real desire to search for anything else.

When I look at my progression of RA, I noticed I started with newer vintage adjustable's and worked my way back in time until I hit what I felt was my ultimate razor type,
I settled on Long comb's and prefer the 7 o clock's

So I bought 3, with different handle styles and that was the end of my buying.

Now I have about 10 that I may never use again, but thought I might use them to introduce others into what wet shaving is all about

I got deep into razors, but one thing that hasn't bit me yet is the brush bug. I've got 1 boar and 1 badger.

This is me too. Probably 12ish razors, tons of soaps/creams/aftershaves, but really just 2 badgers and 2 boars (only one of each gets much use).

I haven't bought anything in over a year, but still plan to add to the collection. I think the fact they aren't making them anymore and more people seem to be interested in them keeps nudging me to get back on the B/S/T. Wouldn't mind trying a straight one of these days either.

I also have been meaning to try some blades I have yet to use. The Personna Med Preps, Polisilver, and Gillette Silver Blue. Probably settle on one or two after that. Right now my go-to is Astras after Iridium went away.

+1

If anyone has a young son, as I do, and hoping they'll like these things when older because that's what we teach them, having them find and afford something like a super adjustable doesn't require much math talent to figure out chances are slim and expensive if left to their own will. IMHO

In and out for me.

Kid in a candy store at first

Now I use a couple of favorites and most of the rest have gone to other B&B members

I do still have all of the BRW customs that I have picked up and they will bee sticking around for a while as I appreciate the craftsmanship that went into producing them

proxy.php

I've topped out at my current 8 razors and 7 brushes. I will probably downsize the razor collection down to 4... I really like my Weber, my Slant, DE89L and my Rocket HD so will probably sell off the remaining razors (Slim, 180, TV Special, Cadet OC). I'd downsize the brushes to just the Whipped Dog, Muhle v2, and the 1305 but the remaining brushes probably wouldn't have much interest and I will probably just PIF/give them away.

I started to have a little RAD flair up at first, but I've been (trying) to complete some sabbaticals which really helped. I've stopped myself at 5 heads, 3 handles, 2 TTO, 1 boar, 1 badger, 1 cream, 1 alum, 2 splashes, and about 100 blades.

There are still more things that I would like, but I'm not actively trying to buy things every day. If I see something that I know is a great deal and a must have, I would get it. I have a feeling my "must have" definition is different than others on this forum :laugh:

I went pretty deep for me, not for some, and suppose I have cycled through about 15 or 16 razors in about 6 months. I am moving myself back down to have 2 razors, 1 Gillette NEW at home and 1 Gillette Travel Tech in my Dopp kit. I think that ought to be about enough.

at least you know exactly what you like and what you don't, just a really expensive way of finding out.

As for RAD, I only own 3 razors: An old ball-tech that I gave to my father who loves it, an EJ chatsworth that served me well for 6 months but has since been benched, and a '65 Slim that is the workhorse.

For BAD and SAD... I own 6 soaps and 6 brushes (1 dedicated to each soap) and am debating on a 7th... but that's as high as it will go!

As for RAD, I only own 3 razors: An old ball-tech that I gave to my father who loves it, an EJ chatsworth that served me well for 6 months but has since been benched, and a '65 Slim that is the workhorse.

For BAD and SAD... I own 6 soaps and 6 brushes (1 dedicated to each soap) and am debating on a 7th... but that's as high as it will go!

If I had a brush for every soap I'd be on a strict diet of ramen noodles and stale bread! :lol:

Top Bottom