What's new

Who manufactures AOS shaving cream?

Hey guys,
I searched the forum up and down to see if this was already answered. I heard that Valobra manufactures their shaving soaps, I was wondering if anyone knew who manufactures their creams? Thanks as always and happy thanksgiving to all!

Valobra used to make the soaps, but they don't any more. Valobra made the tallow-based soap everyone raved about. Those soaps were made in Italy (obviously). Now the soaps have been reformulated to veggie only, and are made in the USA. Nobody knows for sure who makes them, but odds are good it's P&G themselves, since they have soap manufacturing equipment.

As for the cream, it's another change-up. The cream used to be made in England, most likely by Creighton's. However, it too is now made the USA. I have yet to see any credible evidence as to who actually makes it. I don't know if P&G's soap-making abilities also translate into cream-making abilities.

P&G could handle production of all of AoS global soaps and creams, just in their labs and pilot plants.
They have incredible resources.
Not to mention whatever facilities are operated by Gillette/Oral B.

Last edited:
Probably paying an awful lot for rebranded http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_(soap)

Whether P&G makes them or not, the current AOS products are a far cry from Ivory. Aside from the reformulation of the shaving soaps, it seems P&G is staying true to what made AOS good in the first place, at least with the core products.

P&G could handle production of all of AoS global soaps and creams, just in their labs and pilot plants.
They have incredible resources.
Not to mention whatever facilities are operated by Gillette/Oral B.
So, absent any actual evidence, it would seem to be a reasonable presumption that P&G has pretty much taken over production of the AOS products. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
I was being a wise ***. All I know is who now owns the company and that Valobra is not making the soap anymore. Of course, it's not a stretch to assume that, since production is now in the US and PG owns large industrial soap manufacturing facilities here, they are not contracting with some long standing mom and pop factory who does things according to their own business ethics.

I was being a wise ***. All I know is who now owns the company and that Valobra is not making the soap anymore. Of course, it's not a stretch to assume that, since production is now in the US and PG owns large industrial soap manufacturing facilities here, they are not contracting with some long standing mom and pop factory who does things according to their own business ethics.

I have no basis to disparage the business ethics of P&G.

Who ever made/makes AOS shave cream, they sure make a fine product. Expensive for sure and I don't buy it anymore, haven't for at least 8 years now, but it was pretty good quality.

I have no basis to disparage the business ethics of P&G.

I'm not claiming I side with or oppose those who want PG to change it's ways - I generally distrust both mega corporations and large activist groups - but a quick google search on PG will show no shortage of claims of unfair foreign labor issues, widespread animal cruelty claims regarding testing, and unnecessary use of toxc substances and petroleates in their products. Make of it what you wish. If you are going to spend large sums on shaving soap you can spend it in a lot of different arenas. MDC and other similar family operations would probably net you a Go Green Boyscout badge. Beyond that I'm hesitant to make too many more statements as I recognize that this is not a political forum.

MDC and other similar family operations would probably net you a Go Green Boyscout badge.

I would have bought MDC any number of times, if I didn't have to sell a kidney just to get the stuff shipped to me. I would think one of our canny North American vendors, who already specialize in importing any number of unusual brands, would make a killing if they'd sell that stuff at a reasonable price.

I'm not claiming I side with or oppose those who want PG to change it's ways - I generally distrust both mega corporations and large activist groups - but a quick google search on PG will show no shortage of claims of unfair foreign labor issues, widespread animal cruelty claims regarding testing, and unnecessary use of toxc substances and petroleates in their products. Make of it what you wish. If you are going to spend large sums on shaving soap you can spend it in a lot of different arenas. MDC and other similar family operations would probably net you a Go Green Boyscout badge. Beyond that I'm hesitant to make too many more statements as I recognize that this is not a political forum.

ok....

P&G owns Gillette. Gillette, as I understand it, is a part owner of the mega-blade factory in St.Petersburg, Russia that manufactures many varieties of razor blades including many blades that are highly recommended on this forum. I am not here to praise or disparage P&G, but it seems to me that to single out AOS because they are owned by P&G is a bit silly.

Disclosures:
1. I do not own any AOS products.
2. I probably own some P&G stock in my 401K, but who knows.

There is an undercurrent here to bash the big guys.
not sure why that is.
And I have several AOS items and enjoy them
and a little P&G also in the IRA...wish I had more.

The AOS store near me actually carries Gillette Platinum DE blades. I know that's corporate nepotism, but given the quality of the blades (and the lousy quality of most DE blades available in local stores), that's still kind of like a force of good in the world.

Top Bottom