What's new

Who Makes Western Family Blades?

I was in our local market looking for something OTC and saw they had a 10 pack of Western Family brand de blades. They were in a dispenser wrapped in a plastic-cardboard hanger. I didn't see any country of mfg., although I'll look again more closely. Western Family is the name for a generic brand in NoCal. They were $4.39/10. Anyone every buy these & find out what they are?

I happened to notice that my Duane Reade (local subset of Walgreen's) had only one brand/type of DE blades among maybe a couple of dozen carts. And it was a generic brand at that.

I was in our local market looking for something OTC and saw they had a 10 pack of Western Family brand de blades. They were in a dispenser wrapped in a plastic-cardboard hanger. I didn't see any country of mfg., although I'll look again more closely. Western Family is the name for a generic brand in NoCal. They were $4.39/10. Anyone every buy these & find out what they are?
They used to be Personna "Barber" blades. My local store seems to have quit carrying them so I can't say for sure what they are now. If they're old stock they could be the US made Personnas. If they're new they're probably the Israeli made Personnas, or they could have gone to the Korean, or maybe Vietnamese, Dorcos. The Personnas have a dispenser that is a little rounded on the edges. The Dorcos are in a very similar dispenser, but square.

I'm guessing that they're the Israeli blades, and hoping they're not the Dorcos (though you may find Dorcos aren't necessarily that bad). If you can get a picture I can probably tell you which ones they are.

In any case, I like the Personna blades, both US and Israel. But you can do a lot better than over $4 for 10 for blades, even if you have to do without the neat dispenser.

Top Bottom