What's new

Who Makes the Various German DE Blades?

To my knowledge there is only one DE razor blade manufacturer in the U.S.

I'm wondering if that is similar in Germany? Are all the German blades such as Merkur, Wilkinson, Muhle and others made in only one factory?

I don't think so. There is the former VEB in Thuringa, which is now owned by Wilkinson. Giesen + Forsthoff, Merkur/Dovo, Muehle are supplied by this company. Maybe not all three are producing blades, but the chances are not that bad that at least one is producing blade. From the company profile I guess Muehle is the least likely candidate for a fab. G+F and Merkur/Dovo have both steel products as their main product line. So I don't see it unlikely that both have their own production.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
German Wilkies are an Edgewell product. Edgewell is a major global competitor of Gillette. So I would be surprised if they occupied the same facility as Merkur and the smaller players.

But that town may be the central location for all blade production in western Germany.

From looking at various German sites it appears there would have to be at least four, three of which are in Solingen: the Edgewell plant that makes Wilkinson Sword blades, the G&F plant which makes Timor (and probably Van Der Hagen blades for the US) and Merkur. The other is Feintechnik in Eisfeld, Thuringia (home of Croma, Bolzano, Elios blades) which has since been acquired by Harry's for cartridge manufacture.

Mühle does not make its own blades. Someone mentioned on a German razor forum that they are Personnas.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I believe Harry's razors are German MFG and recently got bought out by Edgewell.(Personna)

From looking at various German sites it appears there would have to be at least four, three of which are in Solingen: the Edgewell plant that makes Wilkinson Sword blades, the G&F plant which makes Timor (and probably Van Der Hagen blades for the US) and Merkur. The other is Feintechnik in Eisfeld, Thuringia (home of Croma, Bolzano, Elios blades) which has since been acquired by Harry's for cartridge manufacture.

Mühle does not make its own blades. Someone mentioned on a German razor forum that they are Personnas.

+1! Good summary! This is my understanding also.

My favorites are the German Wilkies from Solingen. :a14::a14:

Top Bottom